Ad Hominem - why do people do it?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Quantum Quack, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Have you decided yet?
    IMO the topic of ad hominem argument has been well and truly exhausted.
    If you chose one - that is to say, one /1 - other form of verbal hostility to examine, I would be happy to continue.

Yes, about that...
    which you rephrased
    which means something quite different. If the dynamic was changed, I ask that you consider who changed it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Nope still on the same one... "Why do we do it?"
    An inquiry into
    Motive. Why the motive?
    Intent.
    Human nature,
    The psychology of abuse.
    Courage and cowardice.
    Integrity and honesty
    Good will, good faith- abuse of,

Hope to further discover:
    What are the weaknesses in the speakers character that compels a speaker to make use of ad hominem arguments?
    What training or therapy might be applied to mitigate those weaknesses?
    It appears that impulse control and a general lack of self restraint is involved, would learning discipline via martial arts or military service be of benefit?

We have just managed to get through the "What is it?"part. ( to some extent )
    Perhaps we can get on with the Why do we do it? bit..

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

The internet makes it easy for some people to behave in a way that they might not dare consider behaving, if they were face to face with their ''opponents.''

Then again...there's Trump...

Do you use any form of social media, QQ? I have a few friends whose posting styles on Facebook for example, are very different than how they come across in person. They are more daring and blunt online, than in person -human nature? Maybe.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Regarding the title subject,A "what it is" pretty much answers Q "why is it".
    A: A fallacious argument designed to shift the argument from the evidence to the presenter.
    Why do people do it?
    To shift argument from the evidence to the presenter.
    (EG: Prosecutor: "Exhibit A: the knife; Exhibit B: the perp's fingerprints on the knife; Exhibit C: the victim's blood on the knife. Conclusion: the perp stabbed the victim.
    Prosecutor's motive: to achieve a "guilty" sentence; underlying motive: to win the trial.
    Defense Attorney: Objection! The prosecutor should be disbarred!
    Defender's motive: to deflect focus from exhibits detrimental to his case; underlying motive: to win the trial)
    Case closed.

are off topic

8. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

yeah it is sometimes quite confusing.
    I have a gaming buddy(*) located in Utah who said the other day, on just this subject, that when he finally got onto face book he had to place most of his friends, some quite close, on Ignore.
    (*) Gaming buddy refers to a person who plays multi player video games that is a member of your team.

Social media provides people with a soap box and little wonder given the amount of frustration out there that social media became and still is so popular.

Is it a good thing to give people minimally regulated access to the world?
    Example : Trump tweets.

edit: yes I do use social media, close family and very few friends. It's a way to maintain contact in the event of an emergency, or other need.. oh and the manipulated advertising and news feeds are amazingly effective marketing tools...

9. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

so why is winning more important than the truth?

It's a deep question... perhaps too deep for sciforums.
    Why are there so many innocent people locked up in prison for crimes they didn't commit?
    Why are all those associated guilty people still free?
    "For every innocent man in jail there is a guilty man still free" sort of outcome.

10. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Yeah, this is a phenomenon all to its own - close friends/family with whom you discover you have incompatible ideologies (usually on issues of politics, immigration or healthcare).

But that's a separate subject.

11. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Do you mean in a discussion or in a courtroom?
    They're different.

In a courtroom, truth is not the goal - it is the mandate of the defense lawyer to get the best outcome for her client as possible. That means poking anything and everything to see if it can give.

12. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

no... just generally.

13. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

why isn't truth the goal?
    Is using an ad hominem just simply a futile attempt at avoiding the truth?

If anything the AHA strategy exposes the truth... about the user of it..

14. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Because everyone has their own truths. For the most part, truth is not universal (there are as many interpretations of an event as there are observers).
    And people invest a lot of their ego in their own interpretations of the world. So, having to question it is painful.

Quantum Quack likes this.
  15. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

good points...
    Slight aside:
    Can I ask?
    Have you had the experience of dealing with a clinically diagnosed pathological liar?

16. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I have not.

This thread is pretty far-ranging, is it not?

17. iceaura Valued Senior Member

But falsehood is.

Quantum Quack likes this.
  18. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

wow!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Gotta disagree.

I have been in a friendship-ending situation where one person was certain that a certain action took place, and another person is certain that it did not.

Since everybody has their own interpretations of truth, it follows that some people will require others' interpretation to be false.

20. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Yeah we are going a bit too far with it. I guess... so I will restrain myself so that something can be achieved here..

You do not want to have to deal with a pathological liar.. It is totally destructive for everyone involved, even in a clinical setting...

Could I state the following and be valid?
    The use of ad hominem is essentially:
    • an act of futile intellectual dishonesty
    • a lie that seeks to minimize the humiliation of defeat
    • a lie that seeks to reduce the revelation of the users intellectual truth.
    • an act of cowardice
    anything else?

21. iceaura Valued Senior Member

That's not true. It doesn't "follow", I mean - of course in fact some people require others' interpretations to be necessarily false if different, but they don't have to do that. It's not logically necessary, if one accepts the quite reasonable and well illustrated premise that a single truth can underlie many different descriptions and interpretations, none of which are false.

See: the blind wise men and the elephant.

22. iceaura Valued Senior Member

An often successful and widespread propaganda technique.

Ad hominem arguments are not necessarily based on lies.

23. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

perhaps but Iceaura's statement is in fact deeper than anything presented so far...IMO... ( still thinking on it... "we all know when we are lying or not fully stating the truth")
    But it appears a pathological liar doesn't know and that is one of the reasons why they are diagnosed as a pathological liar. (no insight into their lies)