Afghanistan - What is the objective?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by StrawDog, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

No, it's different, Arsalan! If US soldiers do anything wrong, anything criminal, then the whole US and most of the west are outraged and want justice.

But when Muslims blow up things, it's quite often that other Muslims will actually applaud the acts, cheer in the streets and some/most even try to justify those horrendous acts. Big difference, Arsalan, .....but you refuse to see it, don't you?

Baron Max

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Arsalan Registered Senior Member

prove it. Where do Muslims cheer when other Muslims kill their loved ones? What you dont seem to notice is that whenever a Muslim commits a crime, he is captured by other Muslims then punished. Just because you can only read English news doesnt mean every news in the world can be found from English sources. And because of this, your ignorance of what goes on in the world, you keep generalizing about Muslims.

You keep going on about how Muslims kill Muslims, in warzones no less. How many Christians/Americans killed Christians/Americans yesterday in the USA? And that isnt even a warzone!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Human circumstances and perspectives vary- but human responses to equivalent experience do not vary by race, culture or creed. That's something Baron Max (and not he alone) have difficulty correlating.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

But do they all agree on what is criminal? e.g. is the occupation of Afghanistan criminal?

8. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

We're coming around to that realization. Given enough time, I think even Baron Max is capable of realizing it.

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yes, pretty much. And as equally important, maybe moreso, they agree that if someone is accused of something, then they should be tried in court of law rather on the sciforums by anonymous idiots!

No, it's not wrong, it was voted on by the full congress of the USA, and it was entered as a legitimate war, scanctioned by the whole freakin' nation.

But you, SAM, and others here think it's wrong. Well, let me remind you that Hitler probably thought that it was wrong for the US to enter World War II. But his vote didn't count for much, did it?

Baron Max

10. Arsalan Registered Senior Member

Ah yes, Max is the first to resort to Goodwins law. he wins

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Really? Your hero, president what's-his-name-that-rhymes-with-Osama, has just sent in more troops, is expected to send in some more troops, plus they're now talking about widening the war to include parts of Pakistan. So, ....now what do you think, Hype?

As far as my realization, it's already realized ....that we should actually be fighting in Afghanistan like we fought in World War II, perhaps even harder and more destructive!

Baron Max

12. Arsalan Registered Senior Member

Ofcourse, compare a country that has no military whatsoever, with a country that had one of the best trained and toughest military forces of that time. Ofcpurse you can attack Afghanistan. Copare it to WWII if you must. It only goes to show how crushing Vietnam was that you will big up an enemy just so you can think you have won something. Typical

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Crushing??? ...LOL! While the Vietnam War raged for ten years or more, Americans enjoyed some of the greatest advances in social enjoyment and liesure-time entertainment. Most people only knew we were fighting a war because it was mentioned on the news!!

Crushing?? What a joke!

And as to the war methods ...we're out to get and crush the Taliban and al-Queda elements in the country. That's no different to what we had to do in Tunisa, Sicily, Italy and France during World War II. We should fight in the same way, with the same or greater ferocity.

Baron Max

14. Arsalan Registered Senior Member

Youre not out to crush them. There are reports of the US backing and supporting certain elements of the Taliban, just like they did agains the Russians. No matter how much you would like them to be, Al Qaeda or Taliban arent a military force. Nothing like Germany. It took dozens of countries to take down Nazi Germany. Afghanistan, Taliban and Al Qaeda are nothing like that. and yes, in the minds of Americas military, Vietnam is still a curshing defeatm, an open wound, an embarassment.

15. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yep, and if do shit like that, then we'll be repeating the same mistakes we did in Vietnam ...coddling to the enemy instead of beating the livin' shit outta' them! If we pussy-foot around, we'll simply have another Vietnam ...just get tired of fighting and leave.

No, it isn't. It is, however, a political embarassment. The military didn't lose the Vietnam War, the politicians just didn't want to win, so after a time, they just pulled the military out. That's not losing a war, that's just quiting.

Baron Max

16. Arsalan Registered Senior Member

It is still seen as a defeat and almost all other US military engagements are as a result of this. The US military lost face and and honour and so it had to rectify that with the subsequent wars

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I also think our efforts should also be concentrated in Afghanistan as well as Pakistan, but if you think it's just a matter of firepower, then you don't understand the nature of counterinsurgency.

But don't believe me, listen to an expert [youtube link] , Colonel H.R. McMaster (soon to be made General McMaster).

18. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

I am horrified by all that you mention Baron. I am hoping that whatever strategy is employed to quell this disgusting behavior will be swift and result in REAL change, for the better. Hopefully, you can apply some honesty and display your grief at the many, many civilian casualties that have, and are, occurring.

19. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

Noted. Passion can cloud matters, but generally, it seems to me, the broad picture is accurate.

20. Arsalan Registered Senior Member

21. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I'm not so sure that I can grieve. For one thing, and it's been said here numerous times, how do we know they're innocent civilians and not people working for the "enemy"? Some think that anyone that the US forces kill is an innocent civilian, yet no one can tell the difference, so how do they know that? And it's a well-known tactic of the fighters in Afghanistan as well as Iraq to use their women and children as shields in fire fights.

The best option for the USA is to simply fight this war in the same manner and method as we used in World War II in Tunisia, Sicily, Italy, France and Belgium. If the soldiers encounter rifle fire from a town or village or house, they should just bomb and shell it into smoking rubble until the firing stops. Then go on to the next town, village or house ...and do the same thing if anyone fires on them.

Pretty soon, someone just might get the idea and give up bin Laden and the Taliban and other extremist organizations.

Baron Max

22. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

Surprise.

I have a better idea. Get the US troops out of Afghanistan, and allow the internal situation to find it own equilibrium?

23. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Nope, can't do that ....we still have a mission and an objective in that shithole of a country. And if we have to level that whole freakin' country, I hope we just get to it instead of pussy-footin' around.

Baron Max