Age is irrelevant

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Theoryofrelativity, Mar 27, 2006.

?

Age is irrelevant, when speaking in terms of wisdom

1. Agreed

51.2%
  2. Not agreed

48.8%
  1. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

I don't see how that 8yr old in iraq could advise me on setting myself up in business? The idle 50yr old (rich with great education) could though ay?
    Could the 8yr old help me through puberty? Help me deal with those pangs of first love?

Sufferring does not bring with it knowledge of all the ages of man. The child may understand better what it is to go without, to suffer, to grieve, to endure pain, to see horrors that many western adults have not. But this child remains a child. All be it a tormented one.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

What do you suppose would happen if children were responsible for raising children instead of adults?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. nameless Registered Senior Member

Knowledge and experience, like fine wine, need time to 'season' into wisdom.
    The young are, at best, just beginning the process.
    Age, of course, guarantees 'nothing' but years, but is essential for seasoned wisdom.

Hell, just look around! It aint pretty!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Hey, like all things wisdom is specilazed. Besides I have met 12 years olds with business savvy to make some CEO's take notice as well. Wisdom is where you find it. Some times it comes quickly like sour mash and other times it takes decades.

8. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

agreed!

9. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

Richard Branson was such a child prodigy, but prodigy being the operative word, it is unusual!

10. crazyfreespirit "Custom User Title" Registered Senior Member

I think age is irrevelent to wisdom. By wisdom I mean life understanding (not a very clear defenition, but I can't really explain what I mean...) I think many adults have livied their lives in a bubble without really seeing, understanding or "feeling" the world, people, or life around them, and never have or will. I think you either have the capacity for wisdom, or not. Some people never become aware enough of life to gather wisdom, and some do. I guess if you have the capacity to be wise, then, yes age will make a difference in your wisdom.

11. jax0509 The non-believer Registered Senior Member

Why do people just presume that some kids have absolutly no grasp of life outside their own house. if you took time to engage in a proper conversation with one then you may be surprised.

12. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

Arrogant and foolish, presuming to know my life? I engage with kids all the time and I WAS ONE. Were you ever older than you are now? What buisness, child rearing, relationship experience do you have?

Imagine you as a 16yr old being dictated to by a four yr old, the four yr old presumes to know more of life than you? How ridiculous is that? Well this really is the same thing. I am not talking about intelligence, as yes the 4yr old could very well have more intelligence than you, but more life experience....... no.

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

It depends what you have been doing in your life.
    If you're a 40 year old suit that has spent 25 years hardly leaving office, then what life experience you have against a 25 year old who has spent the last 5 years hiking across the world?
    Experiences differ.

14. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

25 yrs in the office and 25yrs outside the office having relationships, building a family, buying a house, investing money, rearing kids,

5yrs hiking? Travel and cultural knowledge, but not really experiencing 'reality' just having bloody long hoilday!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Hmmmmmmmm

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Depends what wisdom you want to hear.
    The suit has hardly any wisdom about surviving in the wild,
    while the traveler may lack experience in dealing with banks.

As for me, I'd listen to the traveler anyday, because it's more interesting.

16. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

lol, I have never required advice on surviving in the wild! Unless you call centre of major cities wild, in which I could advise best on that score! yep its a matter of persepctive regards interest, I'd rather hear about life than travel.

17. jax0509 The non-believer Registered Senior Member

what experience do i have, i have a younger sister and thus have always been dragged around nurseries and have spoken to lots of kids. and since when did i refer to you in that statement, jeez just relax

18. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

What most the replies tell me here is that they are mainly from young people who haven't excperienced enough of life to know what it is I am talking about! Avatar makes a good demonstration of that fact with the traveller analogy (no offence) Any old geezers here

19. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

Again presuming? I am very relaxed, why wouldn't I be? Just becuase you kids are jumping about in response to your hormones doesn't make it so for the older folk you know

Meanwhile I meant what 'life' experience do you have , not kiddy experience do you have.

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Maybe you've been moving around too little.

For each his own bliss.

As for me I can give better advice on hiding from military police than most people on this board
    and I can give it since I was 12 or so, no formal education in it of course, but life teaches, especially if it's OMON across 3 countries after you and I've been just one doors away from being caught.
    And not all people who were around me are alive now.

21. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Age must be relevant in terms of wisdom unless a person is developmentally challenged to the point that no wisdom is possible, or they are somehow otherwise damaged and thus set back in their own process of increasing comprehension.

- Because of the whole "arrow of time" thing, coupled with "the learning process".

I'm more wise now than then.

Were you more wise then than now? Could you be?

I suppose you could, but likely only if damaged, etc.

22. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

A lot of presumptious people here considering we've never met ?

If you can call changing address and location more than 33 times, moving around a little? Then yes, I've barely moved????????

There's more to experiencing life than dodging the police. I have experience of all sides of those fences, so don't preume you are top of any list, as I'm sure there are others too! It's not a competition, who's had the toughest, vividest, grimest, sexiest life?

23. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

ah a grown up enters the thread