Age is irrelevant

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Theoryofrelativity, Mar 27, 2006.

?

Age is irrelevant, when speaking in terms of wisdom

1. Agreed

51.2%
  2. Not agreed

48.8%
  1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Of course, I just mean to say that an older man is not necessarily wiser than a younger one,
    it depends what these people have been doing and experienced.
    One can lead a boring life and know shit about it while another may have designed an atomic bomb, climbed Everest and educated 5 generations of students.
    You don't get wiser just by aging in a jar.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

Well I guess if you take a young man who has 'lived a lot' and match him with an old man who has lived a lot, is the old man wiser as he has by definition lived more?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Of course, but not all have.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

8. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

so age is relevant then. This is the sum total of my thread question. It may not be relevant in all cases (some isolated few, the ones err... confined to jars?) but in many.
    I think today we too readily dismiss the elderly , we can learn much from them. It is as I said A Western thing, and its wrong, and the more you experience life the more aware you will be of that truth.

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I agree that people should listen to the older generations,
    it's the basis of our civilization actually,
    other societies, which don't have a tradition of listening to the advice of old-wise men, are mostly despotic with primitive political systems.

10. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

Exactly and this is ALL I was trying to say.

I am not implying 'I' am old and wise, but when I am I don't expect some spotty teenager presuming to know more of life than me! But becuase 'I' was once that spotty teenager I will be patient and tolerant and attempt to guide them!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. TheAlphaWolf Registered Senior Member

What is wisdom?

There are plenty of stupid old(er) people. There are plenty of wise young(er) people.

I think there IS a corrolation between wisdom and age, to a certain point. Many times old people may be racist or close minded, stubborn, rigid, etc. And obviously a baby is not any wiser than anyone else.

So... I guess it's wrong to say it's IRRELEVANT, but it's not really relevant either. *shrugs* I hate making generalizations, and this is definately one.

12. therealdrag0 Registered Member

{
    Wisdom is a combination of experience and intelligence.
    Generally older people are more eperienced, and intelligence is just natural ability.
    If you scatter plotted age vs experience you would have a scattery plot

-drag0
    Ps. 144:1
    }

13. nameless Registered Senior Member

Should I have decided to live for 106 years, I would be exactly middle age right now. I guess that I would also be eternally middle aged if I were truely ageless. But.. 'grown up'? I will NEVER be 'that' old! One of the things that I learned as a teen (and suspected since I was 2) while enduring the onslaught of a brand new life, is that 'grown-ups' (adults) are assholes! (Shit! There is is 'wisdom' in youth! Till one gets 'adult'-erated!) 'Wisdom' wasn't even in my vocabulary!

Perhaps, if 'wisdom' is the combining of knowlege (experience and intelligence) and understanding with the necessary ingredient of 'time' to come to full 'maturity' in wisdom, then it's definition requires both the youthful garnering of all that virgin data (and accurate 'record keeping'.. memory..), all those new experiences, the compiling of knowledge thereby, and then the 'time' to 'understand'..
    A process.
    As a wise old fart, sometimes, I realize that without the necessary 'input' of youth, the wisdom of age would pretty much not exist. Wisdom pretty much doesn't exist in the young, BUT my son just returned from a snowboarding trip with some friends. There isnt a chance in Hell that I am getting on a snow-board and, someday, he shall utter words of wisdom about the physics of snow, etc... All of us together are wisdom, the young and raw.. the old and wise.. All One. Youth respect what can only come with age and whom you will someday become. Do not fear us. Age, respect whom you once were in your unwise and impetuous youth (or what should have been); so busy registering new feelings, sensations, relationships, all that painful 'rawness' (not always too pleasant to recall, eh?) to pay any attention to the 'potholes' in the road... till we hit them.
    Personal 'integration' is a massive act of acceptance' of our 'totality', which is ALL inclusive!

So, you young folks out here who are 'prickling' because of something that is not your fault, your lack of years, enjoy what 'you DO have' (that I don't! *__- )! There is is a price for 'wisdom', and you probably 'won't have it' later!

Amongst the older people of my acquaintance, wisdom is damn rare anyway. Once people are faced with their own mortality, though, like in "You have 6 months to live, Mr Smith.", often 'wisdom' seems to take 'quick root'! I wonder why?

Youth, listen to age, you might find traces of 'wisdom' that might... 'strike a chord'.
    Age, listen to youth because they are so much closer to the 'raw data' than we! Perhaps we missed something in our initial 'pass through' that might be of value to our own maturation process?

14. perplexity Banned Banned

The realisation that in truth you know next to nothing about anything.

---- RH.

15. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

indeed

16. nameless Registered Senior Member

'Wisdom' and 'knowlege' are not interchangeable.
    Perhaps sometimes, over time, 'knowledge' deconstructs into 'wisdom'?

17. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

I think the fact you can pretty much tell the age range of many of the posters here demonstrates my point.

18. Lil Light Foot Just a fuzzy lil Fyre ball. Registered Senior Member

I must agree with you, especially with the following quotes taken from the "Is this YOU" thread.

19. TheAlphaWolf Registered Senior Member

yeah, I always thought you were pretty young.

20. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

I'm flattered and honoured that you take so much time and trouble to view ALL my threads, read ALL my posts (including the Ophiolite one??) and SEARCH for any snippett you can to demonstrate your deep fascination for me, and your ever growing insecurity

keep it up little light weight.

21. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

I am (by my definition) did I say I was old?

Spurious is one of the brainless monkeys that follows me around, him, little light weight, cuntontop3000 are but a few of my fans.

22. Lil Light Foot Just a fuzzy lil Fyre ball. Registered Senior Member

Spurious is one of the more intelligent patrons of this place. We never said you were old, we were agreeing with you on your point about how you can guess the age of the people around here.
    I didn't search all of your posts actually, I remembered spurious making it a while ago, I have a good memory for such things.
    I am light weight, as I'm sure you know that is desired in western cultures.

Please note the relevance of the quote to the note I made in my thread "women and this forum". I wasn't so wrong after all.

23. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

Your opinion is meaningless to me because you are meaningless to me, aside form the fact you amuse me as you DO follow me around like a muppet!

It does not surprise me that you can recall EVERY detail written about me to me! You are my No. 1 fan

Last edited: Mar 30, 2006