Age is irrelevant

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Theoryofrelativity, Mar 27, 2006.

?

Age is irrelevant, when speaking in terms of wisdom

1. Agreed

51.2%
  2. Not agreed

48.8%
  1. nameless Registered Senior Member

I find the natural (naive) arrogance of the young much more understandable than the (stupid) arrogance of those with age, which indicates 'truncated' understanding and 'wasted' years.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. perplexity Banned Banned

As if one could write a book or sell a DVD,
    and then we'd all understand how little we know?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

---- RH.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nameless Registered Senior Member

"Know" as in 'shootin' sure'?
    That is why I use 'understanding' (always changing/alive) instead of 'know' (static/dead).
    As 'knowledge', 'data', is compiled, it CAN, in time season into 'wisdom'. Too often, one just accumulates an ever increasing heap of 'knowledge'. It is like dieing of hunger after collecting all of the ingredients for a fine meal and not understanding about combining, cooking and consuming. The buffet is ever growing and the poor old fool would rather die 'having' his ingredients than eat/deplete them!

I find much of my 'wisdom' being 'expended' (and that, sporadically at best!) in just 'knowing' (understanding! *__- ) when to keep my mouth shut.

Its a 'personal' journey...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  8. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

again agreed, but learning when to keep it shut and and then keeping it shut are two different things, but if you can master both then easy life here u come! I haven't quite mastered the latter

My impish nature gets the better of me! But I am still young! It'll be truely buttoned by the time I'm a pensioner....or maybe not?

9. nameless Registered Senior Member

It seems that knowing what I will be 'missing' with a closed mouth (not 'engaging') helps to keep it closed, at times.
    And sometimes we just have to take the 'imp' for a walk!
    *__-

10. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

lol

Trouble is I enjoy the bit I should prefer to miss! Maybe with age I'll enjoy it less?

11. nameless Registered Senior Member

You enjoy what comes nacherly! Find your bliss where you will.
    Hahahahaha....

12. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

13. artistmosi Registered Senior Member

You seem to equate living an exciting life with gaining wisdom. Have you watched one to many James Bond movies? Leading a boring life v.s. living a exciting life isn't the difference between being wise. Consulting the dictionary:

Wisdom is "The ability to discern or judge what is true, right, or lasting; insight"

For example, I just know judged that leading a boring v.s. leading an exciting life does not make on wiser. Climbing mount everest won't make you wiser. Traveling throughout Europe for 5 years won't make you wiser either. It's how you experience those things and whether you are able to take any meaning from those experiences. If you are able to find meaning and truth in all your experiences, it doesn't matter if you sit in an office all day, you will still become wiser. Case in point...Malcom X become wise as hell in prison. When he left prison, he changed the world.

Age has nothing to do with wisdom either. If you have read count of monte christo by dumas, you will see how he depicts this in his character of Dantes who is amazingly wise about the sea at the age of only 19!

However, if you are you, say, early 20's like me, and you have traveled to Europe and are a person clever enough to derive meaning and truth from the experience, you will certainly be wiser about Europe than a person who asn't traveled there regardless of thier age. Such people boast of being 'worldly' which is an admirable quality to have. However, I doubt you would be wiser in general. My rule of thumb is always listen to your elders and talk to those younger than you. Now that's a piece of wisdom for yoU!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  14. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

ooh er missus,

15. nameless Registered Senior Member

I think that the 'poll' might tell us more if we knew the age of the respondents as well as their opinion..

16. nameless Registered Senior Member

Ego dies hard, eh?

On second thought, the young can and do display wisdom, naive and immature, yes, but wisdom none the less. Jeez! What could I have been thinking? Have I never listened to even my own kids? (rolls eyes at self!) Duh!

17. perplexity Banned Banned

Did it occur to you that Le Comte de Monte Cristo was written in French?

Their vocabulary has has no exact equivalent for "wise".

---- RH

18. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

Its also fiction is it not? I could write a book about an exceptionally wise 2yr old, does this help prove that age is irrelevant re wisdom?

Also being wise about the sea is being wise about the sea and was gained through his experience, it wasn't innate wisdom.

My 3.5yr old is 'wise' about all things pertaining to fire, because she's obsessed with 'fireman Sam'. And relating to an experince I had with a Doctor once who insisted on flicking a smoking light switch, I would have to say she is more wise than he in this regard! But wiser overall...no. Though when she reaches his age I do expect her comparitively to be considerably wiser than he at that age!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  19. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

Many of the respondants for agreed are teenagers or early 20's, many of the respondants for disagree are late twenties onwards. Predictable.

Meanwhile no one is disputing young can be wise, the question is, 'is age irrelevant?'

At the end of the day, like fine wine we all mature with age.

20. nameless Registered Senior Member

Age is obviously not 'irrelevent'.

Hardly.
    There are an awful lot of old 'boys' and old 'girls' out there.
    Look at the 60, 70 and 80 yr olds with their SUVs.. barely seeing over the steering wheel.. but feel like real 'men' now with their 'big' 'penis substitute', oblivious to the earth that they destroy in their immature pathology...
    Look at the men and the women dying their hair and getting surgery still trying to look like 30!
    Pathetically immature and 'clueless'!
    No, real 'maturity' is quite uncommon at any age!

21. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

Interesting examples of immaturity, lets look at them more closely:

60,70 and 80 yr olds driving SUV's. Well lets assume they have been working all their lives and never before retirement (which they worked damn hard for) could they enjoy such a frivolous pleasure, unlike the kids who's parents bought them one! So to own one makes one immature? Depends rather what you had to do to obtain it, doesn't it?

Men and women dying hair and having plastic surgery to look younger, unwise choice? Well we know what an 'ageistand lookist ' culture we all live in , for people over 30 to compete in the work place, looking younger rather than older (and advertising their age even more) is an assett and therefore a wise move. Re boob jobs well depends on their reasons doesn't it. I'm pretty sure if a guy was born without a cock and a simple surgical proceedure could correct it, he would, would he not?

I don't see how any of the examples you present here reflect immaturity, rather wise choices in this 'lookist ageist world'. I do not begrudge any pensioner any amount of pleasure and frivolous expense, they earned it, they deserve it.

22. nameless Registered Senior Member

What you have to do to obtain it is irrelevent. That one 'needs' such a thing to compensate for an immature ego, a 'penis substitute', (and I am obviously not referring to the vast minority who actually have a real need for such a vehicle) is a sign of some aspect that has not matured. Those selfish 'frivolous pleasures' destroy the land, the roads, the air, waste gas, the water.. that the rest of us have to live on, drive on, breathe, drink... All because of a 'tiny ego'. Harmful to others (as if they were mature enough to actually 'care' about others) and the environment. Makes no difference to me how one obtains such a thing. They take two and three parking spaces, more selfishness, and sometimes two lanes just to move down the street! Thoughtless, inconsiderate, selfish all signify 'immaturity' to me.

Maturity encompasses being comfortable in your own skin. Discomfort with the fullness of who you are is a sign of immaturity. An 80yr old with jet black hair and a grey face looks kind of pathetic, to me. An indicator, again, of 'emotional and mental immaturity'.

I'm not talking about 'playing the workplace game'. 70 yr olds do not play that game anymore. Perhaps having once sold their souls in the workplace, they can no longer retrieve them? It is not necessarilly 'wise' to do whatever you must to gain what you wish. Perhaps wisdom lies in 'not wanting' as opposed to 'how to obtain'?

How does a boob job compensate for a lack of a penis? Hmmm, might have something there!?!?!
    I'm not talking about repairing a nonfunctional or nonexistent body part. If a gal 'needs' a boob job to look like some Hollywood starlet, if she doesn't feel 'feminine or 'whole' without larger boobs, then she is immature. Simple. If a guy has to get a big car to compensate for a perceived little penis, he is immature. Simple.

I have not seen how it is a sign of 'wisdom' to 'go along to get along' with the common rabble of society and the corporate driven fads that the average sleepwalker is hypnotized into. I see the acceptance and achievement of superficiality and mediocrity as an ignorant immature cop-out. As sign that real wisdom is still far from reach.
    "I did it because the TV commercial told me to!"
    Puh-leeese!

As long as their 'frivolity' does not interfere with the peaceful enjoyment of other, just as worthy, people.
    I don't want to have to hear their music, I don't want to have to breathe their exhaust, I don't want to drink poisoned water nor have to feed it to my children because of their overcompensating immaturity and ego problems.
    Oldsters have no more 'rights' than anyone else, nor should they.
    So there!
    Hahahahah...
    *__-

Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
  23. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

I disagree with pretty much everything you said, the things you complain about express your individual point of view on other peoples behaviour and motivation. You have no real clue as to their true motivation for what they do, its pure assumption. If you were wise you'd realise this!

No one can presume to know what motivates another human being.

Your opinions actually demonstrate 'envy' of those that have more than you. Are you one of the 'proud' poor?