Age of earth core less than 1.5 billion years

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Woody, Mar 19, 2006.

1. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

I find some good stories educational in varied degrees of moderation. I've read one or two ethnologies that were extremely good stories, but hardly entertaining. The information they provided was invaluable, however.

Biblical mythology is like this. Good stories, rarely entertaining, but educational to varied degrees. The evolution of religious thought from Near Eastern and Egyptian sources into Judeo-Christian cults is often found in biblical mythology.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Well, you see, I find this to be very illuminating regarding the mindset of "believers". Given all of the preaching re love thy enemies and how loving and kind jesus is, and so on, shouldn't this raise some kind of warning flag in the minds of believers that something is a bit out of wack? Does any believer see this as justice? C'mon Woody. By any standard this is a petty and vindictive stance for an omnipotent god. Wouldn't you agree?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

JR said about the afterlife

Because of the anxiety I felt over many years -- not being prepared for death. Evil is real -- why else would some people do such terrible things to other people?

For many reasons, one of which I already mentioned: justice will be served. Where does a sense of justice come from? Can you explain it with science?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

We've been over this I'm sure, in a number of other threads you were involved in. Evolutionary biology as it applies to group selection provides a very nice explanation for the development of morals, ethics, and a sense of "justice".

8. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

Where would a just God start making exceptions when it comes to justice? His standard is the highest: if you are as good as Jesus, then you meet the standard.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  9. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

That is your belief system. Some people abide by the rules just so they won't get punished, others don't even have a conscience.

One that comes to mind is Bundy -- an intelligent man, and a serial killer.

Likewise for the unibomber -- he would kill all of us for using a Personal Computer -- yet he was a professor of mathematics.

10. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Another that comes to mind is B2K - a deacon of his church.

11. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Ok. How about this. When a bacteria invades your body, causes you all sorts of grief, do you:

a) simply eradicate it and move on with your life

or

b) Seek it out and spend eternity maintaining a bacterial torture facility to teach it a lesson?

Is there a lesson to be learned for the future by torturing me for eternity? Is the bacteria going to benefit in some way by my micro-torture? How about just eradicating me and moving on. That would be far more just. As for a "just" god making exceptions, he shouldn't have to. He made us right? He should have to pay for creating creatures that can be so cruel to each other. Period. A just god would correct his mistakes and take responsibility for his actions. Your god is a petty criminal.

12. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

It's not a belief system Woodster. It's provisional acceptance of an argument that has good explanitory power and is supported by multiple lines of inquiry (biology, evolutionary theory, group dynamics, etc.).

13. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

So you wouldn't like to spend your eternity with Him. Isn't that correct? Yet He created you to live forever. What is he supposed to do with you then?

14. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Ha! That's actually pretty funny Woody. I picture god wringing his hands in indecision over my fate:

"Oh my, Oh my! I made him... I can't un-make him (even though I'm all powerful)... He's soooo bad... What to do, what to do... I know! Eternal torture with no chance to learn from it and redeem himself. I'm sooo brilliant..."

15. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Woody:

I don't see how the fact that people do evil deeds leads you automatically to the concept of a kind of personified Evil with a capital E. Why must Evil have a supernatural source?

What if there is no ultimate justice? What if this life is all we have?

I think that how we act right here and now matters because of the effects our actions have on the world and other people here and now. Why are you so keen to remove the consequences of your actions, so that they only have effect on your prospects for a happy afterlife?

16. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

You've made an ass of yourself, again, Woody. For someone who claims to be a professional engineer, you certainly haven't shown it.

17. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

I don't agree that a sense of justice and ethics comes from evolution.

Ideology is not science. Humanism says that it is:

SkinWalker is clearly a secular humanist, as you are. It's an ideology

Communism was founded on it and communism failed. Communism does not motivate people -- it does not address human nature. Likewise humanism, can not change human nature. It will always be the same, regardless of how much you think you can put the mind in control -- it will not control what humans do.

18. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

I love how bigots feel the need to categorize and label those that disagree with their agendas and superstitions.

Call me what you want, Woody. You're the one with the imaginary friends and superstitions.

19. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

OK, let's hear your scientific explanation. How did the core form after the exterior formed? Where did the heat come from? Iron is the primary element in the earth.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  20. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

You call me a fundy I call you a secular humanist -- so what? Isn't it true?

21. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

No indecision on His part. If he unmakes you then he was wrong to make you to start with.

22. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

JR said,

Then do whatever you can get away with.

23. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member