aging treatment?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by science man, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Anouk Registered Member

The 10.000$ question is: do we want to live that long. I know or have known quiet a few old people who were happy to be at the end of their lives. Nto because of any illness or retardation, but just because they had enough of life. The 'been there, done that'- kind of feeling.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Even I don't want a long life in an old body. But if my physical body could stay in the same condition as it was at about 30 for say a couple hundred years or more, I'd happily live a much longer life than I have to look forward to now.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Anouk Registered Member

It is not only the body, but also the mind. After, let's say 80 years of life, i can imagine that you have seen it all. I can imagine that you are just ried of life, even if you are fitt enough to climb the highest mountain or are rich enough to have whatever you want.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Sorry but I wouldn't be thinking that way at all. First, accumulating wealth would take on a new meaning and the thought of having many different careers and living in different parts of the world and have many more relationships that wouldn't be possible with our current short lives of which the last 20 to 30 years are in an old body. Besides, if you only wanted to live 80 or 90 years you could do it in a young body then off yourself, so you would still be much better off.

8. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

While many 80 year olds are ready for death, there would be very few who were happy with their 80 year old body. For them to have a fit young body again is devoutly to be desired. I strongly suspect that, given that fit young body, the willingness to die would also disappear.

9. CLAYTONR Registered Member

Hello Guys,,,,,, Aging that goes on inside your body has far more reaching consequences than a few wrinkles and gray hairs that seem to pop up over night

10. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Welcome to the forum, it seems if you read all the posts to this thread, you might have more to say than your quick one liner. Other than stating the obvious, do you have a point you want to make?

11. Vulgaris Registered Member

I think a generally healthy lifestyle and a positive attitude to life is right now the best remedies. Rigorous exercise is good to some extent if you enjoy it, but can also easily be stressful to the body. Marathon runners are not doing anything good to their bodies. While I tend to believe in the power of reseach, I think this is a hard nut to crack (depending on how much longer you wan't to live). Maybe we can breed our way to longer lives

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

The current popular Science magazine has a good size article about life extention and the current state of research on the roll telomerase plays in promoting longer cell life. The following link has more information.

http://www.tasciences.com/

Telomerase Activation with TA-65®
    Telomerase Activation works on targeted cells in your body and can improve not only cell longevity but quality of life. A double-blind, placebo controlled study of TA-65® showed improvements in:
    » immune system
    » vision
    » male sexual performance
    » skin appearance
    » and more.

Learn more about the new world of telomerase activation as a method to intervene in the aging process. Understand how taking TA-65 may improve your health and vitality. Find out your real biological age by testing your biomarkers of aging and measuring the length of your telomeres.

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

So they invent a way to keep your body rejuvenated, your mind sharp as a tack for 300 years and no deterioration of anything. You step into this doctors office and pay the fees to have this new procedure done to yourself and are guaranteed a very long and healthy life of over 300 years, You step out of the office and get run over by a truck and all of that goes to waste! That's what life will hit you with perhaps whenever they design such a "fix". Then what if you can afford this but those around you cannot, like your wife and children, would you want to watch them grow old and die before you? :shrug:

14. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I'd like to have those questions to resolve. However at the moment I don't have that option and if I did, I'm single with no children, so someone else would have to answer those questions for you.

15. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

I think it has been proven that exercise give you endorphin rush , or you just over all feel better and more happy . Something about stress and resistance comes to my mind . I can't quite see the connection right now , but I visited this one before and it seemed crystal clear at the time . Something about a limited amount of snips at the end of the chain and if you can reduce the amount of snips ( by exercise and meditation ) you live longer by not using up the limited amount of snips . I probably didn't explain it right but it is like what Stoni said . Mek1 follows the path of Hop1
    Oh to funny !
    O.K. there is magic bullet . I read it in a Journal at the dentist office long ago. It is a toxin and if it in anyway makes contact with the inside lining of your stomach , blam eats your guts out and you instantly die . So there is no delivery system for the toxin and that is why it has not come to be . That is pretty much a direct quote from the journal with Me hill billy ways interpreting of course

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

You can't answer this question that was in my statement above?

"You step out of the office and get run over by a truck and all of that goes to waste! That's what life will hit you with perhaps whenever they design such a "fix"."

17. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Well damn, accidents do happen regardless of how long your lifespan might be. But what's that got to do with the topic of this thread. I would say as long as you can live a longer life in a healthy 30 something body, I'm sure not going to say no to it.

18. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

KilljoyKlown,

When you linked Aubrey de Grey, you probably should of mentioned:
    http://www.sens.org/
    Just so you know that not everything he and the foundation does is speculation.

19. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the post, I actually don't think it just speculation and I do think he's on the right track. However I still have doubts it will be in time and cheap enough to be of any benefit to me. If I'm wrong about that, I will gladly be pleasantly surprised.

20. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Time is never on our sides. This is one of the major problems be it dealing with slowing down aging, increasing how old we can go or dealing with future potentials like transcending from Humanity to Transhuman, or "replacing death".

This is why what would really be necessary is a "retroactive application", but for retro-activity to occur, it implies that something has to be done prior to discovering it has already been done. like for instance emulating the universe.

However that discussion is somewhat off "anti-aging" and seen as severely Fringe (unfortunately).