Agressive Religions

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Zapper, Nov 9, 1999.

1. Zapper Registered Senior Member

I have a question that I'm sure some of you know and will be able to answer.
    Over the years I've noticed that the Religions that come from the Middle East, such as Christianity and Islam are always finding demons and enemies at every corner. There seems to be no end to the enemies they are able to find. The human Physic being as it is, I see this as a little normal………….. Stupid in this day and age, but kind of normal, in a real pain in the ass way. Also it appears that that part of the world is highly emotional and unstable, sometimes rightfully so, but other times not.
    Anyway my question is 'Do all the Major Religions have this Phobia'? Is 'Its Us Against Them' the common theme in religions? I know it is in Government, Politics, Business, and Organized Religions in this country.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. SkyeBlue Registered Senior Member

I don't know if you consider Wicca to be a "major" religion. I am just starting to learn about it, and I have found no enemies other than negative thought mentioned in my reading so far.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Zapper Registered Senior Member

Blue
    Thanks.
    Wicca is new to me. Where on the Web can I find some info ????????

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SkyeBlue Registered Senior Member

Zapper -

Try www.witchesweb.com. That's the first site I went to, and thought it was pretty informative. There's an essay in there somewhere that covers the basics that was very well put together.

8. Boris Senior Member Registered Senior Member

I don't know how accurate it is, but my impression has been that all religions are pretty mellow at the outset. Christianity and Islam were very peaceful and tolerant in the beginning. Then, they degenerated into their present state. Not all religions are like that, though. For example, Zionism is still a pretty peaceful tradition (except in Israel, but that's a pretty hostile nationalistic/territorial situation down there, for any religion.) I'm sure there are other more peaceful traditions. I think the major fault with the hostile religions is their postulation of the fight between good and evil. Once you have such a premise, it is easy to slide down the slope of imagining oneself good, and any dissenters evil.

------------------
    I am; therefore I think.

9. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

"organized religion is for the week minded"
    said someone and it is. but, i dodnt understand why some religions like christianity are so mean to other religions?!? they just dont get the fact that there religion kinda sux. the only religion that i can agree with is the jedi religion, cause that would be sooo rad

thats all i got

------------------
    dexter

10. Searcher Registered Senior Member

Dexter,

I believe it was Jesse Ventura who said that.

11. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Religion in and of itself is not such a bad thing. But when an organization such as a church finds that it's followers start feeling too good about things, or else when they start asking questions the authorities don't want to have to answer, an instant enemy is created to keep the faithful in line. It's all about power.

Perhaps one of the reasons tha Wicca doesn't seem to have any enemies that they use in this way is because of the genral avoidance of politics within the group. There are ranks, as there are going to be with any social animal, but it seems that no rank is regarded as "lower" than any other. There is no quest for power (in the conventional sense of the word), therefore there is no need to keep anyone in line.

I inadvertently walked in on a Wiccan get-together. I was drawn by a song or a chant, whichever, and found a small gathering. I was invited to sit with them, but declined respectfully, explaining that I had too much of the warrior in me to buy any of that 'peace, love, and trailmix' stuff. I was surprised by the priestess's (I guess that what's she was) renewed invitation, saying that she felt comfortable that the "warrior spirit" in me would stay alert for any who would disrupt their rite. I felt honored to be their guard, even if only symbolically. There were no attempts to convert me, only to make me feel comfortable. When all was done, we parted ways. I don't think these people had the capacity for hate necessary to create an enemy of any kind. They were just too accepting of differences.

[This message has been edited by Oxygen (edited November 10, 1999).]

12. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

this is because i'm young huh, ya it is. but then that means that my friend copies some guy that copied ace, whatta loser

thats all i got

------------------
    dexter

13. Corp.Hudson Registered Senior Member

One key fact needs to be realized here. The Church (catholic, protestant, lutheran, etc.)does not equal christianity. I am a christian, but I dont go to church. Being a christian does not mean you have to have enemies and hate people. The entire concept of christianity is love and forgiveness. Don't judge the entire religion by the actions of the church. And I hate to burst your bubble, but witches (or Wicca if you want to call them that) have a disagreement with just about every organized religion out there.

14. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

No bubbles bursting here, Corporal. I'm not in the middle of Wicca, so I can't speak with any authority. I have never seen any battles going on, not like, say, Northern Ireland. Although there may be disagreements, is there necessarily hate? I haven't seen any pogroms, no "sky clad" people burning churches, witches blowing up the World Trade Center, nor have I seen the Wiccan Grand Poobah find it necessary to apologize for anything like the Salem Witch Trials.

At any rate, the incident I relayed was a first impression, and so far I have encountered nothing to contradict it. Would you care to enlighten me?

15. Corp.Hudson Registered Senior Member

No, I would not care to enlighten you.

A problem in using examples such as Northern Ireland and the Salem Witch Trials is that that is not a result of religion, but government. Religion is involved, but it is not the root cause.

16. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

In each of the cases I called forth, the church was in a very powerful position to stop what was going on, and yet they did nothing. There were good individuals who called for a stop to the madness, but the church authorities, who in both cases packed a lot of influence, could have saved so many with a little muscle flexing and yet sat idly by as long as THEIR faithful kept tithing.

PS: Why not enlighten me? You do have something to support your statement, don't you? Or are you just playing Devil's Advocate (an admittably fun role)?

17. Corp.Hudson Registered Senior Member

I can support my statements. Lets look at the Salem Witch Trials. What was the church supposed to stop? Sure, they should have done it in hindsight. But the bible does very specifically say that witches must be killed, and the church honestly believed those killed and accused to be witches.

18. Boris Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Sorry to jump in, but therein lies the problem! You just don't have holy books instruct people to kill. It's a bad, bad thing. Just look what happens.

Religion is supposed to be about peace and love. NOT about conflict or struggle. In my opinion, Christianity has enough of the former, but it's all overshadowed and often made irrelevant by the latter.

------------------
    I am; therefore I think.

19. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Thank you, Boris.

20. SkyeBlue Registered Senior Member

Corp.Hudson - you do realize you have just contradicted yourself, don't you?

You say first "The entire concept of christianity is love and forgiveness." You then in one of your next posts say "But the bible does very specifically say that witches must be killed..."

So which is it? Or is the Bible not part of the concept of Christianity?

Furthermore, I wonder what you mean when you state that witches have a "disagreement" with just about every organized religion. Disagreement - as in don't believe in the same God? As in don't follow the same texts? Sure Wicca disagrees with a lot of the other religions, but answer me this - which two religions agree with eachother?? You can make that same broad, misleading statement about any religion, organized or not. Shame on you. At least try to come up with arguments that are valid.

21. SkyeBlue Registered Senior Member

Directing this to everyone...

You might be interested to learn what the Wiccan Rede is. It is simply this:

An' it harm none, do as thou wilt.

Wiccans strongly believe in Karma - what goes around comes around. Therefore they cannot harm someone else without harming themselves. This is expressed in their "3-fold law", which is too in-depth to describe in these posts, but basically the three folds are:

1. As we do anything, it is either inteded to be positive, neutral or negative. If it is positive, the energy manifested is positive, and etc. Since the deed or thought is originated with us, the energy then affects us, either positively, neutrally or negatively.

2. Our actions affect others directly, and since we are all living in the same world, all part of the same existence, if you harm others, inevitably that harm will come around and affect you.

3. Our deep mind knows whether we are intending harm or not, and we will punish ourselves internally for causing harm. If we see we have helped or healed someone, we will reward ourselves internally for the good deed.

So, as you see, a TRUE witch wouldn't harm another person, if only for the fact that it will come back and bite them in the butt three times. Sort of a "don't cut off your nose to spite your face" kind of logic.

The really nice thing about Wicca is that there is no Pope, no one person that is the end-all, be-all answer to all the questions. It recognizes that even the greenest novice may have wisdom that surpasses the most experienced Priest/ess. Wicca is very flexible, and allows you to take what you will from it. You don't need to be in a coven to be a legitimate witch. There are Solitary Wiccans that practice alone, or just with their small family group.

The religion is very flexible, and not exclusive of anyone, no matter your color, language, other religious beliefs, sexual orientation, etc. Can anyone say that about any other religion????

Damn, I'm converting myself to Wicca just posting here!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. Zappers Registered Senior Member

Corp.Hudson
    According to the documentary I saw on A&E, many of the accusers were of the Church and were very much interested in gaining control of the land of the accused.
    Secondly what gives you are anyone the right to put someone to death because some dam book says to do it. If I read something out of Charles Mansons writing, is it OK for me to believe in him and his
    movement and go out and kill ?
    This is the whole dam point and "YOU JUST DON’T GET IT". Get off
    your self appointed throne and get real about the world. You have absolutely
    no right to do these things because you read it in some book that many people
    do not accept or believe is the "Truth".
    I’m sick of people like Jerry Farwell stirring up shit constantly over some
    petty ass things. If he would get out of his thousand dollar suits and do what
    he should be doing, we might have a more peaceful place to live in. But no, it’s
    more fun for him to say "the women’s lib is nothing but lesbians" or whatever
    kind of garbage his crummy mind can come up with.
    I had no problem with you being a "Christian" until you came across
    with this shit about the Bible supporting the killing of witches. I’m sure it does
    support it, but surly you can shuffle through this kind of garbage and pull out
    better stuff than that to live by from the Bible. This is the kind of shit that most
    of the anti Religion and anti Christian people are talking about, and you still don’t
    seem to get it. Maybe you don’t want to.

23. Corp.Hudson Registered Senior Member

The chruch did not accuse anyone. The church convicted people who had been accused. The townspeople of salem did the accusing. The thing about gaining control of land is partially true. Most of that probably comes from Arthur Millers play, The Crucible. There may be some basis in reality, though it cannot be proven.
    I never said I had a right to put someone to death because a book says to. I do not believe that I should go around killing witches. I was just saying that the Puritans were not just making up random enemies.
    I am not on any self-appointed throne. I am not self-righteous. I do not believe I have the power of god behind me. I dont even know if i believe in god.
    I am just telling what is in the bible, to show the mindset of the puritans. I do not want to go around killing people. And the bible is not just "some book." Whether or not you believe in its teachings, you must respect its history and understand the difference between it, and the writings of Charles Manson. The bible provides a great historical (yes, there are proven facts in the bible that correspond with archeological data) account of the jews and the surrounding cultures. It helps people understand the religious customs of other cultures.

"This is the kind of shit that most
    of the anti Religion and anti Christian people are talking about, and you still don’t seem to get it. Maybe you don’t want to." ... what kind of shit are you talking about? You surely cannot blame me for the actions of a few overzealous religous officials.