Agressive Religions

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Zapper, Nov 9, 1999.

1. Zapper Registered Senior Member

Corp.Hudson

I over reacted and do apolgize for that. I don't like people who act this way and I'm upset that I did. This kind of bashing serves no purpose to anyone and was pretty shitty behavior on my part.
    I still do not agree with some of what you have said. Right now I'm busy and cannot take the time to address this, but I will soon in a less judgemental way.
    The one thing that I truely do believe in, is the right to speak your opinion without be attacked by others in a vicious way.

[This message has been edited by Zapper (edited November 15, 1999).]

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Corp.Hudson Registered Senior Member

Damn straight!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Zapper Registered Senior Member

Corp.Hudson

Consider the following conversation between two people, one who believes the Bible is the Word of God, and the other who believes in God, but believes the Bible is simply a somewhat accurate summary of the early history of the area it was written in:

BELIVER: Did you hear they found proof..........
    NON-BELEVER: No, but I don't believe the Bible literally anyway.
    BELIVER: But the Bible says.......

There seems to be a stumbling block for Believer. He/she doesn't seem to get the point that any reference to something that the Non-Believer only considers to contain half-truths about history has little credibility to him. If a person believes Crop Circles are man made, then trying to use them as proof of Aliens visiting the Earth is simply useless.

posted November 11, 1999 04:56 PM

"A problem in using examples such as Northern Ireland and the Salem Witch Trials is that that is not a result of religion, but government. Religion is involved, but it is not the root cause."

posted November 11, 1999 08:14 PM

"But the bible does very specifically say that witches must be killed, and the
    church honestly believed those killed and accused to be witches."

I think you contradicted yourself here, it sounds like religion did and does play a big role, but really that's not even my point, we all generally end up contradicting ourselves in a complex subject that has as many gray areas as religion.

I don't care what the Bible says. I don't accept this as "the truth" and I don't care what you call the book. I believe I have good reason in coming to this conclusion. I'm not going to rehash the whole thing because others have said it over and over and it's crazy to keep on saying the same things.

posted November 12, 1999 04:53 PM

"And the bible is not just "some book." Whether or not you believe in its teachings, you must respect its history and understand the difference between it, and the writings of Charles Manson."

Comparing the bible to Charles Mansons writing is a bit too much, but here again you are putting a great deal of importance to a book that I may consider equal to my sixth grade history book. I feel I should respect your feelings about this book and not be crude, but only to that point.

Believe it or not I'm not on a crusade to prove, or disprove the existence of God, or have all the Bibles in the world burned. I'ts sad but we live in a world where people want you to believe as they do or blow you away over issues that cannot be proven in one way or the other, and many of the so called good religious continue to throw gas on the fire.

Most of us do not accept the excuse that "it came from the top down" as claimed in the German War Crime trials and I don't accept "its in the bible" as a excuse for past behavior relating to religion or
    Christianity.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Corp.Hudson Registered Senior Member

The bible is not equal to your sixth grade history text. It is an amazing piece of literary achievement, whether or not you believe in the text of the bible. The bible is like the Iliad, or The Odysey (I mispelled that). The bible is a wonderful historical chronology of the events that unfolded in the middle east. The events in the bible can be matched up with archeological finds.

The bible contains wonderfully written books, poems and songs. It is simply an amazing achievement, and should be recognized as such.

About the Salem Witch Trials: The events unfolded as a result of the theocracy. That leads to some confusion on whether it is a church or governmental issue.

8. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Corporal- I believe at the time of the Salem Witch Trials the church and state were pretty much one.

9. trilli0n1 Registered Member

Buddhism, from what I know of it, is an excellent example of a religion with no enemies. The only enemy is elements of yourself... which you have to get rid of in order to become enlightended.

10. Corp.Hudson Registered Senior Member

Christianity (true christianity, not the perverted Jerry Falwell version of it) has no enemies. Love the sinner, hate the sin.