Ahhh Punk Rock

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Anarcho Union, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

i do spray paint on things, but its not just pointless graffiti (which can be pretty sometimes.) Its ussaly an attempt to send out a message where people can see it. Typicaly on the sides of banks, government owned buildings and military stations. No private ma and pa stores or anything

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

I'm biased, but, if I caught someone tagging a military station, I'd wring their neck..That's just me..

But here, it's usually just mindless crap they put up..Usually gang shit..

And they have no problem tagging a strangers house...That just pisses me off.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

ive gotten thrown on the ground by an ex mariene, who then held me on the ground and called the cops (damn red and black flag took a while.) One of my friends drove by just as the cop showed up, tackled the mariene, helped me up, the cop charged him and put him to the ground, i tackled the cop who was too fat to get up we got in the car and sped away. Ahh, win for the anarchists

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Yeah i hate that shit too. Gangs are shit.

And thats fuckin shit. The only time i did a house was my own XD

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

LOL...That's hilarious...Yeah, I know many fat, out of shape cops..I work with some.

At least you have a message to send out..As I said, here, it's just asshole gang-bangers trying to mark their turf...Like a dog that pees on a wall, to mark their territory...Makes me sick.

8. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

haha that guy yelled right in my ear though. My fav part is he went "Stupid goddamn punks!" and I said "Got that right you stupid goddamn pig" XD

And i agree. Makes people like me look bad

9. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

oh, and at school the other day i yelled "i smell bacon!" when one of the resource offercers walked by, he came by and said "who thought thatd be funny" i raised my hand and staired him down then said "what, i do" he walked to the principle (who loves me) and he came over and said "dont insult the pigs andrew" XD

10. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

I see you as more of an activist, than a tagger...Not saying I approve, but, better than the idiots I encounter..

I'm sitting here listening to CD's that I haven't even seen for a year or longer.

Somehow, in my pile of punk discs, I came across some Bauhaus...

Definitely not punk per se, But, have ya ever listened to their stuff?

11. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

appreciate it

I cant say i have

12. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

I mainly like 2 songs that they did..

Bela Lugosi's Dead...And, Stigmata Martyr..

You should check them out...I can't even say what classification I would say they are.

maybe Techno meets punk?..They are an older band...Late 70's early 80's.

13. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

will do

listening to Rise Against currently

14. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Next up for me, is some X...Love their stuff...

I'm a bit biased..They are from L.A., just like I am...Been to many of their shows..

15. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

ever been to grassvalley? that was my old stomping ground.

16. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Nevada County....Near Boston Ravine...Right?

I think there's a state park near there too.

17. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

im not sure. about an hour from sacromento. its been about three year since i lived there

18. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

I've passed thru that area many times...Never spent much time there though.

19. Anarcho Union No Gods No Masters Registered Senior Member

shit town.

20. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Most of California is these days...Unless ya can afford to live in Bel-Air, Beverly Hills...etc.. Or beach cities like Malibu..

21. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The Velvet Underground was the band that Lou Reed came from. Also John Cale. It was managed by Andy Warhol. I'm surprised anybody who likes rock and roll can not have heard of them! They're one of those bands that everyone calls "important."

I was way too old to appreciate punk culture (when I was a kid rock and roll hadn't been invented yet) and way too much of a musician to appreciate punk music (I was into Renaissance and Tangerine Dream in those days). But I thought some of the bands and singers who were (inexplicably) categorized as "punk" were great.
    • Patti Smith. Some of her three-chord numbskull songs like "Ask the Angels" may have been punky, but then you've got stuff like "Poppies," which could have been on a Beatles album.
    • Television. Tom Verlaine is a quirky guitarist, but he has a great sense of composition and he uses far too many chords to be a punk.
    • Talking Heads. How did these guys ever get classified as punk? I think they automatically tossed singers into that genre if their delivery didn't happen to be very melodic. If that's true, then they'd have to also call Little Richard and Bob Dylan "punks."

• Public Image Limited. I couldn't quite stomach the Sex Pistols but when Johnny Rotten turned back into John Lydon and found a bunch of guys who could actually play their instruments, he made some fabulous music, without changing his delivery at all.
    • The Clash. This I really don't get. Acceptably decent singing, fairly sophisticated compositions and good musicianship. Why is this punk?
    • Green Day. I confess that I still haven't heard anything off of "Dookie," but if a guy can write nice straight-up melodic songs with unobjectionable lyrics like "When September Comes" and "Boulevard of Broken Dreams," what makes him a punk?
    On the other hand, why aren't the White Stripes punk? They can't play very well, they don't have enough instruments in their band, and Jack White sings just like the punks did.

Go figure!

22. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I wouldn't classify Green Day as punk....more like "punk inspired". Dookie has a bit more of a punk/ garage band feel to it than their more recent works...as most of the songs on the album are the same damn 3 chords.

My favorite song off the album is "In the End"

In the End

23. alephnull you can count on me Registered Senior Member

Hey FraggleRocker, I agree with your post, some artists are quite weirdly labelled punk when their music really isn't all that punky.

Television and Patti Smith are sometimes called "proto-punk", which I think is a silly term. Musically, Television were a bit difficult to categorise (as was a lot of underground rock music coming out of NY at the time). You can pretty much always tell which songs were written by Richard Hell and which were written by (John?) Verlaine.

Hell had what we would now recognise as a more "punky" sound. If you listen to his song "Blank Generation" (I recommend anyone into punk to listen to this song, a lot), which was written during his time with Television but only released in Hell's band The Voidoids, you immediately appreciate the punk ethos that went into Hell's sound. He was even the first person to start dressing in the style that would come to be associated with the punk rock movement (spiked up hair, boots, ripped jeans, leather jackets etc)

I would say that Hell was most certainly a punk (and arguably the first), but Verlaine and Television were not punk in my books.

Patti smith was more an inspiration for the birth of punk than a punk artist herself. She was a very influential musician to the Lower East side underground rock movement that would spawn "punk". At a push you could probably call some of her tracks punk-folk. Some of her songs carry what could be called a punk ethic, but it definitely isn't punk-rock.

The Clash (not a fan myself) were obviously an English band. After England adopted the punk rock sound from the states, many young artists at the time were excited and started to emulate it themselves. England had a decent music scene at the time, especially reggae, ska, dub, rockabilly and a surviving mod scene. This is what gave The Clash their slightly different, as you said, more sophisticated sound; they were different people from different musical backgrounds. Personally, I would classify some of their music as punk-rock, but I wouldn't call the members punks themselves.

As for Green Day, file under garbage, AKA pop-punk.

haha I like your comment about the White Stripes.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010