AI or GPT-4 try?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by mathman, Apr 25, 2023.

1. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Have you allowed for the possibility that the problem is ambiguously defined? Perhaps the answer is right but not what you think the question is.

Write4U likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Have you tried to illustrate it with a picture? Were these AIs trained in geometry?
    If you asked the same question from a human scholar in literature, would he/she get it right?

AIs must be trained in the scientific discipline, just like people. If it takes 6 years to earn a doctorate in a specific discipline, allow an AI 6 years to earn its doctorate and then compare its knowledge and processing speed to its human counterpart.

GPT is not brute computing power. It is a learning system that must be taught just like a human mind.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mathman Valued Senior Member

The description should allow a picture making by AI. Solving the problem requires high school math including analytic geometry. I would hope AI can do better than a literature scholar.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I think what I keep coming up against is how can you tell it's the AI that is failing?

Unless the AI can parrot back to you what it thinks you're asking, it seems to me there is always the possibility that it is a communication error, rather than a problem-solving error. i.e. your description is perhaps ambiguous and it is getting the wrong picture. That can't be laid entirely at the feet of the AI.

Think of a game of "broken telephone". Say I give you a math problem, but I whisper it to you. I whisper What is two plus two? But what you hear is what is two less two? You answer zero. Is that your fault? No. It's a fault in the communication - which is outside your control.

So, my question is: can the AI tell you what it thinks the problem is, as it understands it from you - before it starts to solve it.

8. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Is that any different for humans?
    We must be careful to equate the new AI with brute power number crunchers, pre-programmed with equations, with
    new text (token) based intelligence which can learn equations (or write them), but does require instruction where and how to find answers in available scientific literature on the internet.

Ask how many humans, learned in a specific scientific discipline, make mistakes in understanding complex questions from another discipline. You cannot expect perfection from a new and as yet fledgling intelligent species.

9. mathman Valued Senior Member

AI (Skype) appears to see a meaning problem. 'diameter restin on a' was interpreted to mean coincidence, which was NOT the intent. Does 'rest' have such a precise math. definition? I Tried the question with 'placed' instead of 'resting'. BingChat seemed to understand it, but could not come up with an an answer. ChatGPT just gave up.

10. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Right. If you look up the word for "two mathematical lines that are on top of each other" you get "coincident".

I think what you want to say is "the two line segments are coincident but with different lengths".

11. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

12. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Jun 14, 2023