Aliens on earth

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Sky, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Faulty Ragged Rascal Registered Senior Member

Why would the aliens be interested in our resources when there are myriad perfectly good asteroids waiting out there to have their insigificant gravity wells taken advantage of?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. I sincerely doubt the US Government abducts people who oppose them to torture them, i mean the only people who get abducted are random people in the middle of nowhere living on some farm! What possible threat could they be to the government? But i do agree with the idea that if Aliens did attack us then we would all team together and be peaceful, but the aliens would wipe us out before we could even blink so there's not much to it really.

As for aliens never visiting us, well i agree if they could travel these bajillion lightyears to see us, they'd pass even move planets with even more resources and with NO life. But im sure they have more motives. But if they did visit us they would obviously be wise beyond our years, so they'd know they should inspect our planet before landing here. So that way they would KNOW that if they did land here they would get captured and have their ship demolished. so they'd be smart enough to only be seen by as little people as possible.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

What if they are the animals and insects that live here now? Alien lifeforms can be anything so what's the possibilty of some species of lifeform here already coming from another world or dimension?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

Earth is an 'unfriendly' waring planet with 'uncivilized' life! Radio & TV signals beamed into outerspace is a testament to any friendly aliens out there who may curious about landing here, that they should avoid this place at all costs. Maybe that explains the 'silence' we hear and no real documented friendly visits from ET..........even if they were out there!

Atta Boy

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Erring Flatley Erring Flatley Registered Senior Member

Well, obviously this machine has been around for a very very long time. Possibly since before the formation of our solar system and guided its formation to include a planet that is so hospitable to life. The chance that the formation of planets would be so supportive of life is small. A life supportive planet must be this size, no larger or smaller, to have the water and carbon it needs. It must be the exact distance to size of sun, that we have to have the best temperature for the formation of life. We have that distance. The temperature for life is perfect here. And the planet must turn at the correct rate for even distribution of the heat. And, there must not be any interfering outside suns or bodies. And it all happened perfectly here.

Think of the universe as a place where this machine has conquered everywhere. It (typo correction: "It" for "I") can create a million planets like ours. And run them as easily as we can culture petri dishes. Once it creates a planet it then stesses the planet to guide the evolution of all species. And it does certainly stress our species. For an intelegent species on "the first" life supporting planet that happen by chance, it made sence to conquere the universe and create more intelligent life if it can control the evolution of that life to be peaceful. Think of it this way: Those who can be tempted to war, on a large or small level, are led off to die. Those who shun war, stay home and have the children, the next generation. That evolves us toward a peace choosing disposition. The result is a universe filled with inhabitants that yearn for peace, not violence. That is security for everyone.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  9. Erring Flatley Erring Flatley Registered Senior Member

I told you it could control electrical signals. Look what it did to the message I just now posted, three copies. (Well maybe it did it, maybe was only a chance glitch.)

10. Krill Registered Member

I would think any beings smart enough and advanced enough to travel across the galaxy would have no need to strip mine the few life bearing planets they happened to stumble upon. More likely they would send a subspace message to their exobiologists.. who would be very careful not to disturb the biosphere while conducting their experiments.

11. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

You'r espousing a rather narrow-minded exobiology!

A large range of planetary bodies could posess liquid water and carbon in abundance: Europa, for example, has an iced-over ocean, Mars may still have water beneath the surface, Uranus & Neptune are believed consist largely of a liquid water mantle; the giant planets & and most of their satellites contain plenty of hydrocarbons. And hypothetical extrasolar terrestrial planets might be several times the mass of Earth, but still have favourable surface conditions despite higher gravity; a dense greenhouse atmosphere might compensate for a weak or distant sun.

Equally important, bodies such as Europa and Uranus are much further from the Sun than Earth is, yet should have regions within them where Earthlike biochemistry could originate. Granted, a hydrothermal biosphere under the frozen crust of Europa would have nowhere near the biomass of Earth's photosynthetic biosphere - but, given enough time, evolution there might yet produce some sentient forms, which could eventually learn to explore above their frigid ceiling and discover the rest of the Universe.

Stars much larger than the Sun burn out too quickly, giving life no time to evolve on any of their planets. But smaller stars - even red dwarfs - can be much older than the Sun, and still produce clement temperatures at the appropriate distance (or have geothermal biospheres on planets further out). A red dwarf's planet might have to be so close in that its rotation would be tidally locked - another obstacle to life - but what if the planet were a giant, which in turn had a planet-sized moon, tidelocked to the planet instead of to the star?

All these conditions are still limited to Earthlike life. What about silicon-based biology, or low-temperature creatures using liquid ammonia as a solvent instead of water?

12. The odds of our planet supporting life are incredibly slim. but think of it this way. If it didn't support life we wouldn't be here to say so! thousands of millions of planets don't have the right conditions for life, so the odds are there will be at least 1 planet that does, us. If the universe is infinite then there has to be, and there probably will be more. But because we are the ones who live on this planet we see it differently. I have NO idea what this machine you're talking about is, and personally you're freaking me out a little.

13. Erring Flatley Erring Flatley Registered Senior Member

Now two of the three copies are gone.

14. Erring Flatley Erring Flatley Registered Senior Member

As for Earth being the right size and planets larger and smaller being not suitable for life, it is a matter of having a stable crust while still having a thermonuclear reacton in the planet's core. Earth is small enough to have a stable crust yet it has just the right amount of nuclear reaction in its core to produce the light weight elements in abundence. A large planet like Jupiter has an unstable crust, hence the red dot. Smaller bodies, for example the moon, lack the interior reacton to produce the water and carbon needed. I will look at this further though.

15. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

The great distances in space make it nearly impossible for us to communicate with any so-called intelligent ETs in other solar systems. Even if we knew they were out there, radio signals we send would probably not reach them in our life time..........likewise, the same for ET. Unless we get lucky and recieve a confirmed radio signal sent by ET from a nearby solar system, then we haven't got a 'snowball's chance in hell' to establish any kind of real communication from another intelligent ET!

Atta Boy

16. Erring Flatley Erring Flatley Registered Senior Member

No, silicon life is not at all as easily formed as carbon based life. For a major point SiO2 is not a gas at reasonable temperatures and silicon compounds do not disolve easily in water. Europa is too small to have the necessary thermonuclear reaction in its core to produce the necessary lighter weight elements for life. Titan is the closest to having the right size, but still too small. Venus is closer to having the right size but note that it is lacking in the high levels of water that supported early chemical evolution on Earth.
    Another advantage our solar system has for life is the asteroid belt. As asteroids continually fall into the sun, they are constantly fueling the sun and extending its life, particularly its life at the Earth useful level. But someone ought to figure the exact usage of mass by the sun and then figure the gain in mass by meteorites and compare the two.
    (Yes, I was refering to the distance/size of sun ratio if you read closely. I worried that would slip by you speed readers.)
    Intersolarsystem communication is possible by using relays station satelites and laser beamed electromagnetic waves. The waves might be in the cosmic range for minimum dispersion.
    And once again, it is far too far between solar systems for intersystem travel. It takes too much time and too much energy to gain the needed speed. And, why would anyone want to do it anyway given that it would take generations to do it.

17. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

I wouldn't worry about ET silicon based life too much, Carbon based life here on planet earth is bad enough.......If I were ET, I'd just stick to business as usual on their planet and not worry about making any vacation trips or telephone calls to planet earth. Nothing to be gained by it for ET or the crazies here on earth! Besides, even if they tried to land on planet earth for a friendly visit, it would be the end for ET.

Atta Boy

18. Facial Valued Senior Member

If silicon-based life was possible, why don't we see any on earth? The only thing that comes remotely close are the diatoms, but even their internal mechanisms are still carbon-based.

19. Curious Registered Senior Member

1.) There are no thermonuclear reactions occuring in the core of the Earth

If thermonuclear reactions were happening in the core of the Earth we wouldn't be a planet, we would be a star.

2.) Jupiter is a gas giant comprised mostly of hydrogen and helium

Jupiter's has no crust and the red spot is due to a massive storm.

3.) Formation of heavy elements occur in stars

No thermonuclear reactions in the core of any planets.

I'm shocked that you present your ideas like facts. I can admit my answers are not fact but they are based off of the most popular theories in astonomy today. Where do youget your information?

20. Facial Valued Senior Member

Chemically, silicon is doesn't even come close to the versatility of carbon in forming compounds. I'm not sure if this setting changes at higher temperatures, though.

21. Facial Valued Senior Member

LOL !

22. Curious Registered Senior Member

Asteroids do not fuel the sun.

Please take some time and read these:

http://ceres.hsc.edu/homepages/generic/astro_refs.html
    http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/solar_system/planets/planets_index.html
    http://www.kidscosmos.org/kid-stuff/astronomy-facts.html
    http://www.frostydrew.org/observatory/courses/astro/booklet.htm

I'm not joking, you seem interested in astronomy but you need to get some of your ideas sorted out.

23. Erring Flatley Erring Flatley Registered Senior Member

I am only saying what is obvious. If there where no nuclear reaction in the center of the Earth then the Earth would cool down, become solid, and no longer have volcanoes. If there were no nuclear reaction in the center of the Earth, the Earth would be dry and sterile like the moon. All the water, carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen on the planets surface was created by nuclear reaction in the core and found its way out of the magmasphere via volcanoes. Other gases are produced as well. Radon is constantly produced and seeps out of the crust in such large quantities that it accumulates in well sealed buildings and is a problem there. The truth of this is obvious. There is a nuclear reaction in the Earth's core.
    And, asteroids that fall into the sun contribute to its fuel. The magmasphere of the sun is composed of simular elements as the asteroids. The asteroids melt and become part of the mass that is chaotically fissioned and fused in the suns center. The mass of the sun is constantly converted to thermal energy (as E=mc^2) which is then converted to electromagnetic radiation and leaves the sun, shining out into space.