All Photons Move at 300,000km/s.... But Don't?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience' started by TruthSeeker, Jun 12, 2015.

1. jcc Registered Senior Member

did you mean photons carry electrical and magnetic forces?

are photons vibrating? are photons move at constant speed? are photons impact anything?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

That's a rather childish way of looking at it, and in reality does not convey a correct picture.
    It's true that in the FoR of a photon [or anything travelling at "c'] time dilation is infinite. But its also just as true that length contraction is also infinite for a photon or anything travelling at "c".
    That does say that a photon travels no distance.
    But of course from another reference frame, it takes light/photons around 4.5 years to reach Alpha Centauri which is 4.5 L/years away, and that is just as valid as in the photon's FoR.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

All of your questions have been answered. It appears you are incapable of understanding light/photons or science in general, and how it works.
    Science may not know the basic reality of gravity and even facts such as the duality nature of light. That is well known and accepted.
    Yet through what we do know, we are able to send space craft to meet up with all four of the outer planets. You do remember Voyager don't you?
    This plus the fact that science has pushed man's desire for mythical explanations such as God for instance, into near oblivion.
    If it wasn't for science jcc, you would still be swinging in the trees.
    Anyway, here's a nice little simple video on light.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. jcc Registered Senior Member

yes or no? thanks.

8. danshawen Valued Senior Member

Wheeler co-wrote that one. For sure, it's very good.

And it is just as certain, Kip Thorne was the Brian Greene of my generation. The science shows on PBS all made sense until his face appeared.

9. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Just because you fail to understand the theoretical speculative applicability of wormholes and time travel, does not mean they should not be logically speculated and researched on.
    That is your failing.

10. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

OK jcc, again you appear either to be acting the fool, ignoring competent answers, trolling, or all three.
    Photons are neutral particles that are the carriers of the electromagnetic force.
    Photons travel in transverse progressive waves.
    Photons/Light all move at a constant speed.
    If photons impact anything, they can be absorbed, re-emitted and/or reflected.
    I see another banning coming up for you, as you continually ignore answers, ignore other explanations, keep asking the same questions, and in general trolling.
    Really, wake up to yourself!

11. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

12. jcc Registered Senior Member

i am not playing fool, not ignoring, not trolling, just try to learn the science in details.

Photons are neutral particles that are the carriers of the electromagnetic force.
    photon has no charge, how could it carry em force? if photon carries em force, light beam should bend by em field.

Photons travel in transverse progressive waves.
    like water wave? what's the medium for photons transverse waves?

Photons/Light all move at a constant speed.
    even in water or glass? in the center of the sun?

If photons impact anything, they can be absorbed, re-emitted and/or reflected.
    like what? photon impact electron to knock it out as photoelectric effect?

13. danshawen Valued Senior Member

So.. the subject of wormholes "warmholes" came up in this thread and it set me off. A lot of people here seem to think it's OK to "go with the flow" instead of confronting someone with a fruity theory in lieu of reality. I've actually gotten questions from science magnet students about wormholes as if they were something proven to be real. God forbid anyone should ask any pointed questions about traversable wormholes to the man who created the idea.

That's probably why such things keep building the way they do. Multiverses will eventually grow their own multiverses. String theory will entangle itself. Black Holes will have cavernous gaping cavities inside them like a giant dark swiss cheese, oh yes… The aether wind is causing global warming… "Although Schwarzschild wormholes are not traversable in both directions, their existence inspired Kip Thorne to imagine traversable wormholes created by holding the "throat" of a Schwarzschild wormhole open with exotic matter (material that has negative mass/energy)." --Wikipedia

If you don't occasionally challenge a theory with no foundation or real substance, you will only get more of the same.

14. brucep Valued Senior Member

Your challenge is to run your mouth. Good job.

15. brucep Valued Senior Member

He's a scientific illiterate crank. His entire thing is to badmouth folks like Witten, Thorne, Minkowski, anybody with more scholarship than him. IE everybody.

Kristoffer and paddoboy like this.
  16. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

For the third time, it isn't a theory...It's just a speculative scenario.
    But you keep ignoring that and continue to run off at the mouth.

danshawen likes this.
  17. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Yes you most certainly are.
    I have given you two links...read them troll.
    No, like a transverse progressive waves. Light/photons do not need a medium other than the spacetime continuum.
    Yes, and that has been already explained to you.
    That's one way.
    read the links and stop being purposely ignorant and trolling.

ps: Tip jcc. This sort of nonsense probably won't be let to progress too far.

18. jcc Registered Senior Member

isn't photons from the center of the sun takes a long long time to come to surface? so photons can move very slow?

when atoms emit photons, how many photons emitted by 1 atom per second? which direction photons go?

rob hands will produce heat, fiction will produce heat. what's the mechanism? electrons in the atoms change orbitals? or atoms under fiction vibrate?

photon has no charge, how could it carry em force? isn't all forces must have force carrier?

19. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

This has been explained to you. You are trolling again.
    Photons produced at near the Sun's core have a path to the surface where they are reflected, refracted, absorbed, re emitted and can take up to thousands of years, basically due to how tightly packed the protons are packed together.

[/QUOTE]

20. jcc Registered Senior Member

i am not trolling.

can you answer the rest questions? please use your knowledge/words not links. thanks.

21. danshawen Valued Senior Member

For the last time:

Relativity is a theory, paddoboy. That's not the same status as a fruit-filled half baked idea like a traversible wormhole the way Thorne slap-dashed two mismatched concepts together. Guess what he was likely doing when he thought of it? And he received awards and accolades for this, idea, apparently. Oh, and I'll bet he had lots of supporting math, too, just like the Bogdan brothers. I wonder whatever happened to them?

There must be a union for idiots like Thorne I never heard about or something. "Rot science from within" would be a great motto for them.

If you can't tell the difference between science and fantasy, I understand there isn't much that can be done about it. I don't know anything about you. I'm sure there's probably a good reason.

I'll make a note to myself not to discuss science with you or read your posts. If guys like Thorne are your idea of what a scientist should be, I never wish to be anything to you or our resident super-literate mainstream cosmology expert here other than a crank.

Don't fall into any open traversible warmholes.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  22. wellwisher Banned Banned

Photons make EM waves, with these sine waves cycling between negative and positive charge. There is no net charge, since the peaks; positive and the valleys; negative, cancel over each wave cycle. The photon goes both ways and will therefore act as the bridge between the two charges.

As an application and proof of this, the bending of light going into water; refraction, occurs because the EM waves of the light are causing the charges in the water, to attempt to align up with the photon wave, making these charges sway back and forth like a ship being tossed in the wave. Since the atoms of water have weight and inertia, compared to the massless photon, there is a lag time, as the matter tries to align with the energy wave. The water charges are always a little off pace with the energy wave being heavier and lumbering. What happens are both waves add, to form a larger composite wave connected to matter and energy; bending. Even photons coming from the core of the sun, will set up their sine waves and induce the movement of matter to follow their; refraction, that deflects the path from a straight path.

There is also direct absorption interaction with matter and matter absorbs energy and then spits it out. An analogy for this is like bees flying through a meadow, stopping at each flower to get pollen. They fly at the same speed between flowers, but their constant starts and stops from and to the flowers, makes it take longer to reach the end of the meadow, than a direct flight from beginning to end.

As an example of another effect, say the light is entering your window and shines on the wall. If you feel the wall it gets warmer as the day goes on. The sunlight can't penetrate the wall, into the next room, but the warmth in the wall can be felt on the other side. This conversion effects requires that the energy is conserved, but that it needs to change into something that can be transmit through a solid wall.

The sun is very dense and any photon that starts in the core there hits many walls and may have to convert into something different many times. There are other photos, like the bee that stop at each flower creating a delay to the surface. Plus there is refraction effects curving paths. It takes a while to get out.

23. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

No, a photon IS an EM wave.
    The photon does not cycle between a negative and positive charge. Photons are comprised of an oscillating electric field and an orthogonal oscillating magnetic field that is 180 degrees out of phase with the electric field.
    That does not seem to make any sense.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015