Alternate means to leaving gravity well, as opposed to launches

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Cretin42, Oct 28, 2001.

1. Zarkov Banned Banned

>> roughly 698 kilowatt-hours.

not much for a crane !!!! (or equivalent such as an inertial drive)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mr. Chips Banned Banned

In the elevator design I've referred to, lasers are used to fire upon photovolatics on the climbers, from below and above. Yes, the sun. I have come across amazing predicitons for wind from the DOE and the various Wind Energy Associations and I expect it can be our main terrestrial source of power relatively fast. Interesting that the design suggests anchoring the floating base of the elevator near the coast of Ecuador (due to its being relatively free of lightning). South America alone is considered as having wind potentials enough to power much of the planet, mainly in the plains of Patagonia.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Roman Banned Banned

What would the centriptal force be like on a 5 click string spun really fast, say, as fast as the earth is spinning?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Roman, it would have to be more then 5km long or else gravity will pull it down.

8. Dunnoyet Registered Senior Member

I beg y'all's pardon; I used Earth's radius as its diameter, and I left out the kinetic energy of orbit in LEO.

given: 1 ton mass, roughly 1016 Kg; LEO is 160 mi. (S.W.A.G.), roughly 257.495 Km; the universe consists of point masses

On the ground, I figure that the potential energy is zero and the kinetic energy is 109,285,528 joules.

In orbit at 160 miles up, the potential energy, with gravity at 98% of its strength on earth, is 2,512,549,691 joules. the kinetic energy, going 8033.7 m/s, is 32,786,490,530 joules.
    (Note: 99.25% of surface normal gravity is actually the figure (not 98%), so the potential energy is marginally greater. The kinetic energy was computed with the correct figure.)

The work necessary to put one long ton (1016 Kg) in orbit is 35,189,754,694 joules, or 9774.932 kilowatt-hours. The amount of energy varies directly with mass, so this number is scalable.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2004
  9. RawThinkTank Banned Banned

WellCookedFetus
    If U take the pulley down till it reaches the ground then that will add too much weight. Hence Space pulley is better that Elevator.

Use centrifugal force as it rotates around earth to pull things up the space station from high atmosphere, read my initial posts. If U r interested then I can explain more, but there are evil people like below ones.

talk2farley
    Rather than wasting Ur time on posting what wont work why not talk only on what will work, may b U cant think good enough, that Ur way of life isn’t it ?

Zarkov
    We Don’t need Ur expertise , U r not good enough.