Am I a bigot?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Dinosaur, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Where did the Chinese Go?
    And what good is a major city in North America without a Chinatown?
    And why didn't Dinosaur object to all the Chinese signs and waiters?
    So many things to ponder!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Oystein Registered Senior Member

I thought the Irish moved into vacated SF Chinatown???

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Seriously, though, how many of us would enjoy a city that lacked all the ethnic neighbourhoods - colour, cuisine, culture, import goods, music and variety?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. billvon Valued Senior Member

Well, Steve King definitely would; the whiter the better. "We can't restore our civilization with someone else's babies."

8. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

As a youngster in 1976, I had an interesting experience. I was asked to teach kindergarten children during a summer day program in California. They were Spanish-speaking children, but I was up to the challenge as a semi-fluent Spanish speaker. The children were the kids of migrant farm workers, and the school was at their farm camp. I was used to Spanish-speaking farm workers, as I'd worked in the ag fields in HS and college, acquiring an appreciation of the Mexican culture in the ag fields. The Mexican-American people I was accumstomed to being with were typical brown skin and black hair. I stood out quite distinctively. To my surprise, the kindergarten kids I was teaching were very caucasian appearing, whitish skin and blue eyes and blond hair. But they spoke Spanish as their mother language. It turns out that the ag fields where I was employed used migrant workers that followed the Texas/California annual migration, rather than other routes (Mexico/California; Arizona/California, etc.) Their parents were descendants of displaced original Texans. They had become farm workers for the new land-owners (Anglos) in Texas, and 100 years later they were still engaged in farm labor, now part of the migrant generations.

9. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

I am an English speaking Caucasian.

According to some who Posted to this Thread, I am a bigot due to my prefererence for living in USA, England, Austrailia, or the English speaking parts of Canada.

10. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Hogwash! You need to honest. Your residential preference has nothing to do your bigotry.

11. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

The English speaking parts of Canada, like the English-speaking parts of the USA, are full of people who speak Italian, Arabic, German, Mandarin, Hungarian, Tamil, Hindi, Polish, Uzbek, Ojibwa, Ukrainian, Spanish, and even, yes, French.
    You can find a predominantly English-speaking neighbourhood in any city and most towns, but don't count on any that are exclusively English.
    The same will be true of England and Australia. Your best bet is probably rural Scotland.

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Most of us prefer to live among people with whom we can communicate.

You're hardly a bigot if you don't want to live in Turkey, Japan or Iran because you can't speak or understand Turkish, Japanese or Farsi.

13. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Preference for one neighbourhood over another doesn't make one a bigot.
    Refusal to acknowledge the other peoples who built one's nation, does.