AMD vs Intel

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Saint, Dec 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mananmater Registered Member

both are good.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Saint Valued Senior Member

For overclocking, is Core i5 better than phenom II?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I've owned AMD since ever building my own PC. I've never had any problems with it so I tend to use what I've been using and not switch just because the other might have a small "edge" over the AMD. I'd say, as has been stated already, they are BOTH EQUAL so just buy a machine with all of the other components that you want to use.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. WillNever Valued Senior Member

If you are not an enthusiast, it hardly matters. But I would still go with AMD.

8. John99 Banned Banned

I would always go with intel first.

9. John99 Banned Banned

I am not anti AMD though.

10. Henrik77 Registered Senior Member

I think it depends for what purpose you are use your computer if you use computer for graphical work for that I prefer AMD and for other application I prefer Intel.

On money point of you AMD is mush cheaper then Intel. AMD has some heating problem but if you are in cold place then this point is not matter.

11. NightWindDrifter Registered Member

I couldn't tell you without looking it up. I do know that the i5 can be and is routinely, safely overclocked in the realm of 3.6 GHz on air. I believe Tomshardware pushed it to 4.0 GHz on air, but had to disable the processor's ability to throttle back on power consumption to retain stability.

AMD processors have traditionally been very capable of respectable overclocks, but outside of the socket 939 A64 (which is what I'm using for a few days longer until my i5 build) I have no idea of the capabilities of the AM2 and AM3 CPUs.

12. NightWindDrifter Registered Member

A little bit off-topic, but I recommend people buy what they believe to be the better processor and not exercise brand loyalty. It can only foster healthy competition between the two.

As it stands, the Intel is a better deal for a current, new build with a reasonable margin of "future proofing", whatever that means when it comes to computers. The release of the i5 has made a high-performing quad core processor accessible to the masses. Not even the 965 BE could maintain its $245 launch price in the face of the better-performing and cheaper (at the time) i5. This is why the 965 BE is more competitively priced today.

Outside of brand loyalty, the only reason to not jump ship to the 1156 is the cost of entry. If you're going for a budget build, it still makes sense to roll AMD. You'll still take advantage of dual-channel DDR3 RAM and CrossFire or SLi setups on enthusiast budget boards. You could even recycle your AM2 board to work with your AM3 processor. AMD's backwards compatability can be a real asset, and AMD seems to stick to a socket for a good amount of time. This is in contrast to Intel; many frowned upon the advent of the 1156, which has questionable future prospects in respect to the 1366 and is deemed only to exist for no other reason than to seal the LGA 775's fate.

You can't go wrong either way, as long as you make an informed decision based on your needs.

13. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Intel makes better processors, but both are acceptable.

14. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

no thats the best one you can get, you can find them for 200 dollars to 500 no sweet.

But Ive got an intel core 2 quad, and it is f ing amazing.

15. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

yah but you need to install a new fan and that is hard for those whom arent tech savy.

Im about to go to water cooling with my set up and overclock it a lot.

16. NightWindDrifter Registered Member

It shouldn't be hard for someone asking an overclocking question.

17. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I've got a Swiftech H20-220, it works great. Only problems I had with it over the last 2 years is the hosing: it comes with this green winding to prevent kinks but the winding become brittle over the month and breaks. I have it cooling my CPU and my mother board controller and it keeps them at a good 30C.

18. Saint Valued Senior Member

Core 2 extreme is better in what? Why call it "extreme"?

19. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Yah, Im just about to watercool my cpu, I got in my pump mcp 655 yesterday, and arctic silver. Ill be getting my water block and radiator today, and Ill order the tubing and other stuff soon.

Also, Do you know of any temperature sensors that can hook up to the 3 pin slots on my motherboard?

20. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I think those are fan slots, they have a positive, negative and pulser for measuring fan speed, I don't think you could hook up a temperature sensor to one of those.

21. Saint Valued Senior Member

for notebook, it is better to use Intel processor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.