America: the Melting Pot

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Fraggle Rocker, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

Okay, answer this simple question. If there was a group of black people in Africa that have permanent squinty eyes, does that mean they are not still black? No, human beings are 99% the same, its this 99 % that makes us all walk up right and have two eyes, we would probably be different species if it were less than 99%. Lions, Hyenas, and Cheetahs are clearly different from each other because they are different species. Yes, culture is a product of the specie from the bubtle to the obvious, but like I said that doesn't matter. Islamic whites have different cultures compared to an English man but they are pretty much caucasians. Culture, much like mutation, is a result of isolation. Technology has enabled more and more people around the world in embracing different foreign cultures. I do however believe that caucasians fall between Negroid and Mongoloid, of cause there is no scientific way to adequately prove this, such is the nature of biological anthropology, my prove was based upon the circumstancial fact that anthropologists simply believe that Asians were among the first to leave Africa. You be the judge. Kegan's experiment is also circumstancial. Africans are just as diverse in culture and physical appearances as any other group- this is why anthropologists believe humans evolved from Africans, but we generally still consider them all black because of their alarming similarities. I'm not saying Asians are not "Asians", all I am saying is that if there was a calculator that calculates genetic similarites between races, you will fiind out that Asians are closer to western caucasians than they are to African negroids. First reason, they share the same mutation cause and effect. Polar bears have white furs because of adaptation for camoflage, so do brown bears and grizzly bears. But due to the similar isolation pattern and geo-climatic factors affecting both brown and grizzly bears, both brown and grizzly bears will share far more similarities.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

Thank you for pointing out the ridiculusness of this debate. Like I said, scientifically, there is no such thing as race, at least on a fundamental level. A lot of it is semantics. We could have easily started calling Chinese people white and Europeans...European. A lot of the word "black" and "white" is used and started by the lay man. But there is some truth in it, but for us to accept this truth we have to look at the extreme ends of the spectrum. Having permanent squinty eyes is not enough for us to accept a "Chinese race", the same way being tall and extremely dark is not enough for us to regard an "East African Masai race". When it comes to anthropology, its very complex and everything is based on circumstancial evidence. For instance, the widest species of birds in the world are found in South America, does this mean birds first evolved in South America? Europe has the widest variety of white people in the world; blue eyes, red hair, pink faces, e.t.c, but does it mean all white people including Asians first evolved from Europe? You be the judge. In the story of the human race, there are only two clear cut headlines, black and white, everybody else are sub plots and twists.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mountainhare Banned Banned

Fraggle:
    Haha, because we all know that you haven't been baiting, and insulting the Count's intelligence.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

You [Deleted]. Stop intimidating users and abusing your moderator status.

--------------------------------------

Mod Note

If you have a problem with a moderator, this thread is not the place to discuss it. There are appropriate forums and PM's which allow you to do so.

I have warned the participants in this thread to keep to the topic and discuss it like adults and not have it degenerate into an insult and flame war. If it keeps going, I will close this thread, regardless of who the participants are.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2007
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. peta9 Registered Senior Member

There is no clearcut headline. That is your opinion. Asians are not a subplot of caucasians anymore than caucasians are a subplot of negroids. Asians have distinct bone structure just as caucasians and negroids and are a separate race in their own right just as they are. Also, following the out of africa homo erectus split in europe and asia. Following this theory, the biggest mystery is actually the caucasian race with their extreme recessive genes. Either they actually are a carryover of the neanderthal plus homosapein hybrid or possibly evolved from a mutation like albinism or gradual disease process. Caucasians are more apt to bald which coincidentally also happens from poor diet and disease as well as skin hyperpigmentation problems. As well, the loss of pigment could have been part of a disease process you never know. I speculate this because a poor antioxidant diet would contribute to faster loss of genetic integrity and caucasians are known to have had the least antioxidant rich diet but high in animal protein or fat. That and the environment could have caused the mutation.

Humans are animals and can breed within their species and subspecies just as a cheetah can mate with a leopard or a lion with a tiger. This does not happen normally but when in captivity or close contact they can. The reason being they haven't been separated in the evolutionary chain long enough.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Point taken. Sorry but rednecks just bring out the worst in me. Although I'm still waiting to see the credentials he speaks of, to prove that he's not just another 15-year-old, either reciting his parents' prejudices, or siding against them in adolescent rebellion.

However I did nail him for using the J word. It would be unreasonable to start a thread like this and not expect the racists to speak out. We all need to hear them once in a while so we understand that those points of view--incredibly--still exist in the 21st century. However, they have to check their racial slurs at the door.

9. mountainhare Banned Banned

Fair enough.

It just really pisses me off when moderators will get into an argument, and then threaten their opponent with their moderator privileges (especially when the mod himself is breaking the rules). It just seems down right unfair. The playing field isn't even.

Personally, I think that moderators shouldn't be allowed to moderate discussions that they are participating in. That's the equilavent of a member from one of the two playing teams umpiring the grand final.

10. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

And there is the resolve. Many tribes and groups in Africa have distinct bone structure as well, but we still call them all black. The only reason why I choose black and white is because Africa has the most diverse types of people, which are usually consistent with people of black or dark skin. And Europe has the most diverse types of its kind of people, diversity traits usually consistent with people of light skin and similar geoclimatic patterns. This is how scientists traced the origin of the dog to somewhere in Asia; tracing the region with the most historical diverse group of dogs. Everybody in Asia pretty much looks the same, same with all other places in the world, so we can't say they are unique enough to be a race. What part of all this don't you understand?

11. Renrue Someone Registered Senior Member

Hmm, diversity doesn't mean origin. How do you suppose "white" Europeans evolved the way they have from our common ancestor? With that question in mind, what makes you believe East Asians have to be a divergent group from "white" Europeans only because they are the most diverse?

And no, just because South America has the widest species of birds, it doesn't mean birds first evolved from South America (I'm not sure what you're getting at). Galapagos has many diverse finches, but we are sure that all finches did not originate from the Galapagos Islands.

Are you familiar with human mtDNA migration? There are several maps that outlines the most plausible route of human migration out of Africa using mitochondrial DNA of humans. And by studying it, you would see why East Asians aren't "white" and are there own diverse ethnicity.

[Renrue]

12. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

Huh, diversity doesn't mean origin? Well, tell that to genetic anthropologists. As for Asians, they are part of the "white" race. I know what you are thinking- why doesn't any other group of people have the same eye type consistent with many Chinese? Well, a group of biologists found a an isolated tribe tribe in Africa with the same eye type, from the children to the adults. I will find this report for you and post it. But you haven't answered my question, there are many diverse groups of people in Africa, with many different skeletal features, but why do we still call them all black?

This is an excellent site to visit in the time being http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_genetics. Notice that in the table, East Asians and Europe have some of the lowest genetic distance, and the lowest genetic distance being East Asia and America. Those are the lowest figures on the table. This is why there is no such thing as Asian race, but all fall under the broad category of the "white" race, which again can be argued as the Asian race, or not to even exist by some classical scientist claims. I know you think Asians are unique enough to have their own race, but remeber that race is base on benefit of doubt, and percentage difference with diversity is the only sure analysis, otherwise we will have to give a lot more groups of people in the world their own race, including many groups in Africa. Hope this clears things up a bit.

13. Renrue Someone Registered Senior Member

Chatha,
    You know, I wasn't thinking of eye type. Obviously you're quite obsessed with East Asian eyes. Also, I wasn't thinking of the Chinese, I was thinking of all East Asians: Tibetan, Han, Japanese, Korean, etc.

Anyhow, you have yet to address the mtDNA migration studies. Perhaps you should look it up in Google or look up Human Migration in Wikipedia. The uniqueness of certain physical features don't appeal to me as the DNA that makes up someone.

You know what? To avoid you from changing subjects, I will post the link for you. Laziness is no proper response.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_migration

Wait I know what you will say:
    "See how the East Asians diverge off the "white" migration pattern?"

I will post my rebuttal early for you. Sure, we all diverge from the common ancestor somewhere, but to me, it seems, that it was the European that split off from the main branch, that being East Asians.

I'm not trying to make race apparent, nor am I try to spout superiority of a race, all I'm saying that it appears today's white supremacy has broken off into a new generation where they say that there is black and white, and to ignore the East Asians who seem to meet up with European prosperity, that they are nothing but a subgroup of the oh, so supreme European gene.

[Renrue]

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The luck of inhabiting a region with fertile farmland, metal ores, and fewer diseases that most of the rest of the world.

15. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

More like - living in a land that had to cope with the hardship of the ice-age. Thinking defeats the environment.

16. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The aboriginal Americans migrated out of East Asia just recently--on the time scale we're talking about anyway. The second wave that settled primarily in what is now the western USA and Canada walked over Beringia around 4000BCE, about the same time the Indo-Europeans began their diaspora into, well, into India and Europe. Yet the Panamints, Tlingits and Hoopas don't have the epicanthic eye fold, which means that it hadn't developed yet. Apparently the "Orientals" existed for tens of thousands of years without the "Oriental" eye shape that we Westerners arguably see as their most recognizable physical characteristic.

It's amazing that purely physical traits we use to define who is "us" and who is "them" are so ephemeral. Skin color is even more so than eye shape. Populations that migrate a couple of thousand miles northward or southward completely change their pigmentation and adapt to the level of sunlight in in their new region in something like 1,500 years. Look at the Bengalis and the Russians, both members of the "Satem" (eastern) Indo-European branch.

I can understand a people getting all misty-eyed and patriotic--even irrational and polemic--about a lot of things. Their language, sports, food, music, political system, economic system, all the details of their culture. But their skin color??? Of all those substantive characteristics of a nation, its citizens choose skin color to decide who gets to join them and who doesn't? Why not hair color or eye color? Why not height or body type? How about shoe size, butt size, or breast size? It makes exactly as much sense!
    That partially explains why civilizations spring up when and where they do (proximity to a large navigable river helps), but it doesn't explain why one becomes "dominant" over the others. And in fact it's no guarantee that the dominance isn't transitory. After all, white people have only been the dominant race for an eyeblink in history, especially if you don't count the Indic, Semitic and Turkic peoples as "white," as most racists don't. Until just 500 years ago, Christianity held Europe in the Dark Ages, and before that no one could say that China's civilization wasn't at least the equal of ours, as was Indian civilization and our sibling, the Arab offshoot of Mesopotamian.

Five hundred years is not a very long time to be bragging about. Especially since the evangelical monotheistic religions that are peculiar to the legacy of our beloved Mesopotamian civilization are still on the verge of plunging that civilization into another Dark Ages. If China and India are sitting there ready to pick up the pieces, let's hope they're kinder to our descendants when it's their turn to be on top, than we were to their ancestors when it was our turn.
    I agree that I was a jerk. But in terms of breaking the rules, Sudoku was way over the line. As illustrated by the recent move of the Free Thoughts chat room down to the bottom of the list, this is SCI Forums and it's supposed to be a gathering place for scientists or at least people who are interested in science. Respect for the scientific method is assumed, perhaps everywhere but in the Free Thoughts and Religion subforums. Sudoku's repeated flouting of science in a thread that was started with at least a semblance of scholarly intent, his use of patently invalid similes to make fraudulent points, and his invocation of racist rhetoric to derail a discussion of ethnography are far more damaging to this forum than the playground insults we tossed at each other. People have indeed been banned for that.
    Your idea has merit but I suspect it is impractical. I can and do read every post in Linguistics because it doesn't get much action. But the appointed moderators of the larger subforums couldn't possibly read all their posts. They have to rely on the rest of us to help them. As for "moderating," all the visiting moderators can do is issue infractions, which can be easily reversed. We have no authority to actually edit or delete posts.

I had an opportunity to be moderator of one of these subforums that generates a lot of controversy. I'm glad I didn't take it, I don't have the temperament for it.

18. peta9 Registered Senior Member

You are being quite an asshike, racist, and are being purposefully selective. I take it you are black. Why don't you call whites blacks or blacks whites because they have round eyes? How about the fact you are closer in body size, bigger asses, stronger physical constitution? See, I can do that too. Of course, they are all black BECAUSE they are not asian. Bone structure is only one constituent of a race, breed, subspecies or however you define it. Cat's have four paws yet a lion is not a tiger. Your observation that europe has the most diverse types of people is superficial because you don't understand that as recessive as the white genes are, various colors are easily displayed It's an uncovering not so much a diversity issue. For instance, their hair color ranges from blonde to black but still the texture interestingly still remains the same, thinner, that's not deep diversity and is different in texture than the black-colored hair of east asians which is unique to them. Everyone in asia does not look pretty much the same, it appears that way to you but there is just as much variation in looks as it is in europe or africa. When among caucasians the variation is still notably "caucasian", very few will have squinty eyes for example. Believe it or not to a nonwestern asian all white and black people look the same and so for blacks and whites with eachother and vice versa. You are speaking from brainwashing and speaking hogwash.

And anyone who is stupid enough to not see that asians are unique is ridiculous. I see no one who looks like them except them. NOT only looks, their CULTURE is freaking UNIQUE to them. Sorry you are being contrived and minimizing asians. You cannot say asians are either black or white without saying whites are blacks or blacks are whites BUT YOU KNOW that's a big no no and you'd get slammed for it. Asians are their own race. If they weren't, I'd see asian people in the caucasian population or the black population and I don't. I'd see pagodas in europe and africa but that didn't happen. Talk about bullcrap. That's like looking at a poodle and saying he is a rottweiler because it is a dog.

Your argument is absolutely ridiculous because their are features asians have that is not shared by other races, it can be mixed with them to form a hybrid though. I have yet to see a white person growing asian hair on it's head for example in exactly the same texture. There is no way I could walk into a white family portrait and claim white genetic diversity anymore than a blonde-blue-eyed joe could in an asian family or asian to black and white to black. You are full of shit. That proves race is a specialization and asians are a separate race.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  19. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

listen, I am not interested in whether Asians are their own race or not. That is an opinionated agenda. You cannot adequately prove that Asians are their own race. In fact there are many references that Asians are a shot off from Western caucasians. My point from the beginning of this rant was that Asians and Western caucasians share very similar genes, which correlated with my posted references from wikipedia's web site. This means that, depending on how you see it, white people, Asians, and Americans are basically the same broad category. Plus, of cause some Asians and Americans will be more similar to Western caucausians that others. So whether there is a sub race called Asian or American, they all fall under the broad race of white. I choose western caucasians as the general umbrella because western whites have the most diverse traits of these people, and there are just too many references that Asians are from Caucasoids. Yes, to you Asians might be unique, but not exactly unique enough, all or most of their featues can be found in Africans. The difference between me and you is that I have proof to back my claims. Trust me, if there is any proof that caucasoids came from Asians, I will refer Asians as the general umbrella. Australian Aboriginals are equally just as genetically distant from Africans, but we still all call them black. What don't you understand?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  20. Renrue Someone Registered Senior Member

Chatha,

Have you gotten around to my link yet?

[Renrue]

21. peta9 Registered Senior Member

Do you really think race is just physical superficial features?? Almost all asian features can be found in africans?? They have straight hair? They have epicanthic fold? They have light skin? Do any whites have asian features?? No.

I will show you how furthest away from africans asians actually are by going deeper than skin with whites in the middle. Whites are closer to africans underneath the skin. That could be translated as whites being africans and equally not a race. This consistent three- way pattern proves asians are not white or black. Asians are *asian*.

Race Is More Than Skin Deep
    Is race real? Do the races differ in behavior as well as in body? Are such views just the result of white racism? Modern science shows a three-way pattern of race differences in both physical traits and behavior. On average, Orientals are slower to mature, less fertile, less sexually active, less aggressive, and have larger brains and higher IQ scores. Blacks are at the other pole. Whites fall in the middle, but closer to Orientals than to Blacks.

White men can't jump. Asian men can't either. But according to Jon Entine's new book, Taboo: Why Black Athletes Dominate Sports and Why We Are Afraid to Talk About It, Black men - and women - sure can. The usual reason given for Black athletic success is that Blacks have little chance to get ahead elsewhere. But Entine's new book shows that in sports, Blacks have a genetic edge.

The physical facts Entine reviews are quite well known. Compared to Whites, Blacks have narrower hips which gives them a more efficient stride. They have a shorter sitting height which provides a higher center of gravity and a better balance. They have wider shoulders, less body fat, and more muscle. Their muscles include more fast twitch muscles which produce power. Blacks have from 3 to 19% more of the sex hormone testosterone than Whites or East Asians. The testosterone translates into more explosive energy.

Entine points out that these physical advantages give Blacks the edge in sports like boxing, basketball, football, and sprinting. However, some of theserace differences pose a problem for Black swimmers. Heavier skeletons and smaller chest cavities limit their performance.

Race differences show up early in life. Black babies are born a week earlier than White babies, yet they are more mature as measured by bone development. By age five or six, Black children excel in the dash, the long jump, and the high jump, all of which require a short burst of power. By the teenage years, Blacks have faster reflexes, as in the famous knee-jerk response.

East Asians run even less well than Whites. The same narrow hips, longer legs, more muscle, and more testosterone that give Blacks an advantage over Whites, give Whites an advantage over East Asians. But admitting these geneticrace differences in sports leads to the greater taboo area -race differences in brain size and crime. That is why it is taboo to even say that Blacks are better at many sports.

The reason why Whites and East Asians have wider hips than Blacks, and so make poorer runners is because they give birth to larger brained babies. During evolution, increasing cranial size meant women had to have a wider pelvis. Further, the hormones that give Blacks an edge at sports makes them restless in school and prone to crime.

Race in History

Even before there were any intelligence tests, philosophers, statesmen, merchants, and others thought there was a link betweenrace, intelligence, and cultural achievement. Aristotle, Plato, Voltaire, and David Hume all believed this. So did Broca, Darwin, Galton, and all the founders of evolution and anthropology. Even Freud believed in some race differences. But this began to change in the 1920s with Franz Boas and James B. Watson, who believed that culture could change just about anything. Today, writers like Jared Diamond in Guns, Germs and Steel (1997) and S. J. Gould in The Mismeasure of Man

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Page 8

(1996) tell us there is no link between race, intelligence, and culture. The differences we see are all just because of bad luck or White racism. The first explorers in East Africa wrote that they were shocked by the nudity, paganism, cannibalism, and poverty of the natives. Some claimed Blacks had the nature "of wild animals... most of them go naked... the child does not know his father, and they eat people." Another claimed they had a natural sense of rhythm so that if a Black "were to fall from heaven to earth he would beat time as he goes down." A few even wrote books and made paintings of Africans with over-sized sex organs. Sound familiar? All just a reflection of racism? Maybe so, but these examples are not from 19th Century European colonialists or KKK hate literature. They come from the Muslim Arabs who first entered Black Africa over 1,200 years ago (in the 700s), as detailed in Bernard Lewis's 1990 book, Race and Slavery in the Middle East.

Several hundred years later, European explorers had the same impressions. They wrote that Africans seemed to have a very low intelligence and few words to express complex thoughts. They praised some tribes for making fine pottery, forging iron, carving wooden art, and making musical instruments. But more often, they were shocked by the near nakedness of the people, their poor sanitary habits, simple houses, and small villages. They found no wheels for making pots, grinding corn, or for transport, no farm animals, no writing, no money, and no numbering systems.

The Whites who explored China were just as racist as those who explored Africa, but their descriptions were different from what they and the Arabs had written about Africans. In 1275 Marco Polo arrived in China from his native Italy to open trade with the Mongol Empire. He found that the Chinese had well built roads, bridges, cities connected by canals, census takers, markets, standardized weights and measures, and not only coins, but paper money as well. Even a postal system was in existence. All of these made him marvel when he compared the Chinese to what he saw in Europe and the Middle East. Even though he was an Italian, proud of his people and well aware of the greatness of Ancient Rome, Marco Polo wrote: "Surely there is no more intelligentrace on earth than the Chinese."

Historical research bears out Marco Polo's impressions. As early as 360 B.C., the Chinese used the cross bow and changed the face of warfare. Around 200-100 B.C., the Chinese used written exams to choose people for the civil service, two thousand years before Britain. The Chinese used printing about 800 A.D., some 600 years before Europe saw Gutenberg's first Bible. Paper money was used in China in 1300, but not in Europe until the 19th and 20th centuries. By 1050 Chinese chemists had made gunpowder, hand grenades, fire arrows, and rockets of oil and poison gas. By 1100, factories in China with 40,000 workers were making rockets. Flame throwers, guns, and cannons were used in China by the 13th century, about 100 years before Europe.

The Chinese used the magnetic compass as early as the 1st century. It is not found in European records until 1190. In 1422, seventy years before Columbus's three small ships crossed the Atlantic, the Chinese reached the east coast of Africa. They came in a great fleet of 65 ocean going ships filled with 27,000 soldiers and their horses, and a year's supply of grain, meat, and wine. With their gunpowder weapons, navigation, accurate maps and magnetic compasses, the Chinese could easily have gone around the tip of Africa and "discovered" Europe!

In the last five centuries, the European nations leapfrogged over the Chinese in science and technology. Since 1950, however, Japan has beaten the West in the production of many high-tech products. Other Pacific Rim countries (China, Taiwan, Singapore, and South Korea) now follow Japan's path. Africa, on the other hand, has fallen further behind. The poor conditions of African countries and Black America have become a concern to many. Much of the optimism of the U.S. Civil Rights movement of the 1960s is gone, along with the high hopes for independent African nations. Trillions of dollars of foreign aid have poured into Africa. Yet African economies have declined since the Europeans left.

Neglect and decay are seen everywhere in Africa and much of the West Indies. International corporations often have to provide their own power, their own water, and their own phones. In the age of computers, fax machines, and the world wide web, getting a dial tone in many African cities is difficult.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Page 9

Race in Today's World

For the past twenty years I have studied race differences in brain size, intelligence, sexuality, personality, growth rate, life span, crime, and family stability. On all of these traits, Orientals fall at one end of the spectrum, Blacks fall at the other end, and Whites fall in between.

Chart 1 lists the differences between the three major races: Orientals (East Asians, Mongoloids), Whites (Europeans, Caucasoids), and Blacks (Africans, Negroids). To keep things simple, I will use these common names instead of scientific ones and will not discuss subgroups within the races.

On average, Orientals are slower to mature, less fertile, and less sexually active, have larger brains and higher IQ scores. Blacks are at the opposite end in each of these areas. Whites fall in the middle, often close to Orientals. The evidence shows that this is due to both genes and environment. I have suggested an evolutionary theory to explain this three-way pattern.

Of course, these differences are averages. The full range of behaviors, good and bad, is found in every race. No group has a monopoly on virtue or vice, wisdom or folly. However, this pattern is true over time and across nations and this means that we cannot ignore it.

Chart 1: Average Differences among Blacks, Whites and Orientals
    Trait Blacks Whites Orientals
    Brain Size:
    Cranial capacity 1,267 1,347 1,364
    Cortical neurons (millions) 13,185 13,665 13,767
    Intelligence:
    IQ test scores 85(purebreds in Africa, 70), 100(Ashkenazi Jews, 115), 106
    Cultural Achievements Low High High
    Reproduction:
    2-egg twinning (per 1000 births) 16 8 4
    Hormone Levels Higher Intermediate Lower
    Sex characteristics Larger Intermediate Smaller
    Intercourse frequencies Higher Intermediate Lower
    Permissive attitudes Higher Intermediate Lower
    Sexually transmitted diseases Higher Intermediate Lower
    Personality:
    Aggressiveness Higher Intermediate Lower
    Cautiousness Lower Intermediate Higher
    Impulsivity Higher Intermediate Lower
    Self-concept Higher Intermediate Lower
    Sociability Higher Intermediate Lower
    Maturation:
    Gestation time Shorter Longer Longer
    Skeletal development Earlier Intermediate Later
    Motor development Earlier Intermediate Later
    Dental development Earlier Intermediate Later
    Age of first intercourse Earlier Intermediate Later
    Age of first pregnancy Earlier Intermediate Later
    Life-span Shortest Intermediate Longest
    Social organization:
    Marital stability Lower Intermediate Higher
    Law abidingness Lower Intermediate Higher
    Mental health Low Intermediate Higher

This chapter briefly describes the 3-way pattern of race differences. The following chapters provide more detail.

Many statistics in Chart 1 come from the United States, where Orientals are a "model minority." They have fewer divorces, fewer out-of-wedlock births, and fewer reports of child abuse than Whites. More Orientals graduate from college and fewer go to prison.

On the other hand Blacks are 12% of the American population and make up 50% of the prison population. In the U.S., one out of every three Black men is either in jail, on probation, or awaiting trial. That is much more than the number who graduate from college.

Chapter 2 shows how this racial pattern in crime is found worldwide. INTERPOL Yearbooks show the rate of violent crime (murder, rape, and serious assault) is four times lower in Asian and Pacific Rim countries than in African and Caribbean countries. Whites in the United States and in European countries are intermediate. The 1996 INTERPOL violent crime rates clearly show this pattern: Asian countries, 35 violent crimes per 100,000 people; European countries, 42; and African countries, 149.

Chapter 2 also finds that Oriental children are slower to mature than White children while Black children are faster to mature. This is true for the rate of bone and tooth development and the age at which a child first sits, crawls, walks, and puts on clothing. Oriental children do not begin to walk until about 13 months, White children at 12 months, and Black children at 11 months.

Chapter 3 looks at racial differences in sexual activity. Orientals are the least sexually active, whether measured by age of first intercourse, intercourse frequency, or number of sexual partners. Blacks are the most active on all of these. Once again Whites are in between. These contrasts in sexual activity lead to differences in the rate of diseases like syphilis, gonorrhea, herpes, and chlamydia. There are high levels of AIDS in Africa, Black America, and the Caribbean and low levels in China and Japan. European countries again fall in between.

The races differ in rate of ovulation (Chapter 3). Not all women produce one egg during the menstrual cycle. When two or more eggs are produced at the same time, a pregnancy is more likely. So is the likelihood of producing fraternal twins (i.e., two-egg twins). The number of twins born is 16 out of every 1,000 births for Blacks, 8 out of every 1,000 births for Whites, and 4 or less for Orientals. Triplets and other multiple births are rarest in Orientals and highest in Blacks, with Whites in between.

Chapter 4 is about race and intelligence. Hundreds of studies on millions of people show a three-way pattern. IQ tests are often made to have an average score of 100, with a "normal" range from 85 to 115. Whites average from 100 to 103. Orientals in Asia and the U.S. tend to have higher scores, about 106, even though IQ tests were made for use in the Euro-American culture. Blacks in the U.S., the Caribbean, Britain, Canada, and in Africa average lower IQs -- about 85. The lowest average IQs are found for sub-Saharan Africans -- from 70 to 75. Chapter 4 also looks at brain size. Bigger brains have more brain cells and this leads to higher IQs. The races vary in brain size. The Collaborative Perinatal Project followed more than 35,000 children from birth to seven years. Orientals had larger brains than Whites at birth, four months, one year, and seven years. Whites had larger brains than Blacks at all ages (see Chart 2). The data on adults in Chart 2 come from a sample of 6,325 U.S. Army personnel.

Chapter 5 asks whether differences in our brain size, our bodies and our

behavior are because of genes, environment, or both. It also asks whether individual differences can tell us anything about race differences.

Why Are There Race Differences?

Why does history show Africa trailing behind Asia and Europe? Why do Whites average between Orientals and Blacks in so many areas? Why do the groups with larger brains have lower rates of two-egg twinning? To know the answer you must look at all of the traits taken together (see Chart 1).

The traits in Chart 1 form a pattern. No known environmental factor can explain all of them taken together. There is, however, a gene based explanation. The patterns make up what is called a "life-history." They evolved together to meet the trials of life -- survival, growth, and reproduction.

Page 12

Chapter 6 discusses the gene based "life-history theory" I have proposed to explain the racial pattern in brain size, intelligence, and other traits. Evolutionary biologists call it the r-K scale of reproductive strategies. At one end of this scale are r-strategies that rely on high reproductive rates. At the other end are K-strategies that rely on high levels of parental care. This scale is generally used to compare the life histories of different species of animals. I have used it to explain the smaller but real differences between the human races.

On this scale, Orientals are more K-selected than Whites, while Whites are more K-selected than Blacks. Highly K-selected women produce fewer eggs (and have bigger brains) than r-selected women. Highly K-selected men invest time and energy in their children rather than the pursuit of sexual thrills. They are "dads" rather than "cads."

Chapter 7 shows that the race differences in reproductive strategies make sense in terms of human

evolution. Modern humans evolved in Africa about 200,000 years ago. Africans and non-Africans then split about 100,000 years ago. Orientals and Whites split about 40,000 years ago.

The more north the people went "Out of Africa," the harder it was to get food, gain shelter, make clothes, and raise children. So the groups that evolved into today's Whites and Orientals needed larger brains, more family stability, and a longer life. But building a bigger brain takes time and energy during a person's development. So, these changes were balanced by slower rates of growth, lower levels of sex hormones, less aggression, and less sexual activity.

Why? Because Africa, Europe, and Asia had very different climates and geographies that called for different skills, resource usage, and lifestyles. Blacks evolved in a tropical climate hich contrasted with the cooler one of Europe in which Whites evolved and even more so with the cold Arctic lands where Orientals evolved.

Because intelligence increased the chances of survival in harsh winter environments, the groups that left Africa had to evolve greater intelligence and family stability. This called for larger brains, slower growth rates, lower hormone levels, less sexual potency, less aggression, and less impulsivity. Advanced planning, self-control, rule-following, and longevity all increased in the non-Africans.

I realize that these topics are controversial and that readers will have many questions. Chapter 8 lists the questions I am most asked about Race, Evolution, and Behavior, and my answers to them.

Conclusion

Race is more than "just skin deep." The pattern of Oriental-White-Black differences is found across history, geographic boundaries, and political-economic systems. It proves the biological reality of race. Theories based only on culture cannot explain all the data shown in Chart 1. The next three chapters describe the scientific findings on race differences (summarized in Chart 1) in greater detail. Later chapters explain why these differences follow such a pattern.

Maturation, Crime, and Parenting

Race differences start in the womb. Blacks are born earlier and grow quicker than Whites and Orientals. The three-way race pattern occurs in milestones such as sexual maturity, family stability, crime rates, and population growth.

Black babies mature more quickly than White babies, while Oriental babies mature more slowly. African babies in a sitting position are more able to keep their heads up and backs straight from the start. White babies often need six to eight weeks to do these things (see Chart 3). It is unlikely that social factors could produce these differences. A basic law of biology shows that longer infancy is related to greater brain growth (see Chapter 6). These differences in growth rate mean that races tend to differ in the age when they reach milestones such as the end of infancy, the start of puberty, adulthood, and old age. The races also differ in crime rates, parenting style, and even population growth.

Maturation

Black babies spend the least time in the womb. In America, 51% of Black children have been born by week 39 of pregnancy compared with 33% of White children. In Europe, Black babies of even professional mothers are born earlier than White babies. These Black babies are not born premature. They are born sooner, but biologically they are more mature. The length of pregnancy depends on the genes.

Page 14

The faster pace of growth among Blacks goes on through childhood. Black babies have greater muscular strength and can reach for objects better. Their neck muscles are often so developed that they can lift their heads up when they are only nine hours old. In a matter of days they can turn themselves over.

Black children sit, crawl, walk, and put on their own clothes earlier than Whites or Orientals. The findings are measured by such tests as Bayley's Scales of Mental and Motor Development and the Cambridge Neonatal Scales.

Oriental children, on the other hand, mature more slowly than do White children. Oriental children often do not walk until 13 months. Walking starts at 12 months for White children and 11 months for Black children.

X-rays show bones grow faster in Black children than in White children. Whites develop bones faster than Orientals. Brain wave patterns develop faster in Black than in White newborns.

Blacks have faster dental development than Whites, who mature faster than Orientals. Black children begin the first part of permanent tooth growth at about 5.8 years and finish at 7.6 years. Whites begin at 6.1 years and finish at 7.7 years, while Orientals begin at 6.1 years and finish at 7.8 years. Blacks have larger jaws and larger teeth. They have more teeth and more often have the third and fourth molars. Whites have larger jaws and teeth and more teeth than do Orientals.

Blacks reach sexual maturity sooner than Whites, who in turn mature sooner than Orientals. This is true for things like age at first menstruation, first sexual experience, and first pregnancy.

One study of over 17,000 American girls in the 1997 issue of Pediatrics found that puberty begins a year earlier for Black girls than for White girls. By age eight, 48% of the Black girls (but only 15% of the White girls) had some breast development, pubic hair, or both. For Whites this did not happen until ten years. The age when girls began to menstruate was between 11 and 12 for Black girls. White girls began a year later.

Sexual maturity in boys also differs by race. By age 11, 60% of Black boys have reached the stage of puberty marked by fast penis growth. Two percent have already had sex. White boys tend not to reach this stage for another 1.5 years. Orientals lag one to two years behind Whites in both sexual development and the start of sexual interest.

Crime

In the U.S., Blacks are less than 13% of the population but have 50% of all arrests for assault and murder and 67% of all arrests for robbery. Fifty percent of all crime victims also report their assailants are Black, so the arrest statistics cannot be due to police bias.

Blacks make up a large share of those arrested for white-collar crimes. About 33% of persons arrested for fraud, forgery, counterfeiting, and receiving stolen property, and about 25% of those arrested for embezzlement are Black. Blacks are under-represented only in offenses, such as tax fraud and securities violations, that are committed by individuals in high status occupations.

On the other hand, Orientals are under-represented in U.S. crime statistics. This has led some to argue that the Asian "ghetto" has protected members from harmful outside influences. For Blacks, however, the ghetto is said to foster crime, so purely cultural explanations are not enough.

Female homicides tell the same story. In one study of female arrests, 75% were Black women. Only 13% were White women. No Asian women were arrested. The cultural explanation for the crime rate of Black men does not apply to Black women, who are not expected to engage in criminal behavior to the same extent. There is no "gangster" image among Black females.

The same pattern is found in other countries. In London, England, Blacks make up 13% of the population, but account for 50% of the crime rate. A 1996 government commission in Ontario, Canada, reported that Blacks were five times more likely go to jail than Whites, and 10 times more likely than Orientals. In Brazil, there are 1.5 million Orientals, mostly Japanese whose ancestors went there as laborers in the 19th century, and who are the least represented in crime.

Page 15

Chart 4 is based on INTERPOL Yearbooks and shows that this racial pattern is consistent globally. Rates of murder, rape, and serious assault were four times higher in African and Caribbean countries than in Asian or Pacific Rim countries. European countries were intermediate. The 1993-1996 INTERPOL Yearbooks show the violent crime rate per 100,000 population was 35 for Asians, 42 for Europeans, and 149 for Africans.

Personality, Aggression, and Self-Esteem

Studies find that Blacks are more aggressive and outgoing than Whites, while Whites are more aggressive and outgoing than Orientals. Blacks also have more mental instability than Whites. Black rates of drug and alcohol abuse are higher. Again, Orientals are under-represented in mental health statistics.

A study carried out in French-speaking Quebec looked at 825 four- to six-year-olds from 66 countries. The immigrant children were rated by 50 teachers in preschool classes. The teachers found more adjustment and less hostility among Oriental children than among White children, but they also saw more adjustment and less hostility among White children than among Black children.

Racial differences in personality are found using tests such as the Eysenck Personality Questionnaire and Cattell's Sixteen Personality Factor Questionnaire. Orientals everywhere are less

Page 16

aggressive, dominant, and impulsive than Whites and Whites are less so than Blacks. Orientals are more cautious than either Whites or Blacks.

There are important race differences in time-orientation and motivation. One study asked Black children in the Caribbean to choose between a small candy bar now and a larger bar a week later. Most chose the small one now. A focus on the present moment as opposed to delayed gratification is a major theme in the research on Black psychology.

It may be surprising to learn that Blacks have higher self esteem than do Whites or Orientals. This is true even when Blacks are poorer and less educated. In one large study of 11- to 16-year-olds, Blacks rated themselves as more attractive than did Whites. Blacks also rated themselves higher in reading, science and social studies but not mathematics. The Blacks said this even though they knew they had lower actual academic achievement scores than White children.

Parenting and Out-of-Wedlock Births

Racial differences in personality and obeying rules also show up in divorce rates, out of wedlock births, child abuse, and delinquency. Orientals are more successful than Whites or Blacks. They have fewer divorces, fewer out of wedlock births, and less child abuse than Whites.

On the other hand, Black family stability is a concern. In 1965 the Moynihan Report showed the higher rates of marital breakup, female headed families, and out of wedlock births among Blacks. Since then the figures have tripled! About 75% of births to Black teenagers are out of wedlock, compared with 25% of White teenagers.

The female-headed family is not unique to the U.S. Nor is it the result of the legacy of slavery or inner city decay. It is found in large areas of Black Africa.

In Africa, the female-headed family is part of an overall social pattern. It consists of early sexual activity, loose emotional ties between spouses and sexual union and the procreation of children with many partners. It includes fostering children away from home, even for several years, so mothers remain sexually attractive. Males likewise compete more for females and fathers are less involved in child rearing.

Compared to others in poor countries, African women stop breastfeeding their children early. This allows ovulation to resume, so mothers conceive again, thus producing a higher birth rate. Once a child is about a year old, other children and grandparents do much of the caretaking. As children grow older, they look to older children for basic needs. In Black Africa and the Black Caribbean, as in the American underclass ghetto, groups of pre-teens and teenagers are left quite free of adult supervision.

Longevity and Population Growth

Death rates show the same pattern of racial differences. Blacks have more disease and a higher death rate at every age. Orientals have the lowest death rate and outlive Whites by two years, about as long as Whites outlive Blacks.

Black American babies are twice as likely to die in infancy as White babies. Single parenting, poverty, or lack of education, however, are not the only causes. One study of college graduates with access to good medical care shows a death rate that is still twice as high among Black infants as among White infants.

Mortality differences continue into adulthood. In one U.S. Navy study, Blacks had higher rates of accidental and violent deaths from all causes. Another study revealed Blacks had higher rates of death in auto accidents.

This is a global pattern. East Asian countries like Japan and Singapore have lower death rates than European countries. European countries have lower death rates than African and Black Caribbean countries. But, the pattern for suicide is reversed. East Asian countries have the highest rates, about 15 suicides per 100,000 people. European rates are about 12 per 100,000, while African and Caribbean countries have the lowest rates of about 4 per 100,000.

Page 17

A higher birth rate more than makes up for the shorter Black life span. Africa's population growth has been a concern. It is 3.2% a year. The highest rate in the world! South Asia and Latin America growth rates of 2.1% and 2.5% have reduced population increase since 1960. In the U.S. the average woman will have 14 descendants including children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. An average African woman will have 258. The African continent accounted for 9% of the world's population in 1950. Despite AIDS, warfare, disease, drought and famine, Africa has grown to be 12% of the world's population today.

Conclusion

The three-way pattern of race differences is true for growth rates, life span, personality, family functioning, criminality, and success in social organization. Black babies mature faster than White babies; Oriental babies mature slower than Whites. The same pattern is true for sexual maturity, out of wedlock births, and even child abuse. Around the world, Blacks have the highest crime rate, Orientals the least, Whites fall in between. The same pattern is true for personality. Blacks are the most outgoing and even have the highest self-esteem. Orientals are the most willing to delay gratification. Whites fall in between. Blacks die earliest, Whites next, Orientals last, even when all have good medical care. The three-way racial pattern holds up from cradle to grave.

Sex, Hormones, and AIDS
    Race differences exist in sexual behavior. The races differ in how often they like to have sexual intercourse. This affects rates of sexually transmitted diseases. On all the counts, Orientals are the least sexually active, Blacks the most, and Whites are in between. The races also differ in the number of twins and multiple births, in hormone levels, in sexual attitudes, and even in their sexual anatomy.

22. peta9 Registered Senior Member

I had to stop there because there is too much to post but there is a consistent three-way pattern among every conceivable category. It proves, asians are definitely a race and very unique.

23. peta9 Registered Senior Member

You know he's got some stupid racist american agenda with this retarded observation.

I see nothing more diverse about caucasians, except they are caucasians. Chatha is a fucking racist against asians. Either you are black or white or a mulatto. To say asians are not unique enough, whites are more diverse, and africans have all the features of asians and that there is only the african and white race is nothing but trying to blight or minimize asians. I dare you to claim whites are blacks.

Interestingly, I see no other culture or race that provides such contrast as asians on this planet to everyone else so for you to say they are not diverse enough is blasphemous. You obviously don't know what diversity means and confuse miscegenation with diversity. I really don't care how genetically diverse africans are because in this context, it doesn't make them asians and it doesn't mean asians are not a race. I have yet to see a white or black that is asian skin and more than skin deep because they are NOT. Regarding whites, it's laughable that you consider their recessive genes and the lighter colors showing through as more diversity. You are an idiot.