American Nomads

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Bowser, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I started watching videos about "stealth camping," people who pretty much live in vans, travel the country and live a minimalist existence. It has really caught my imagination. I'm certain there is a downside, but would it be worth the cost if it bought you relative freedom to move around as you please?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

It's way more fun doing it on a boat.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

When I was a little kid I read a National Geographic story about a 16-year-old who sailed around the world on his own. At that time I thought it cool. Now I consider the open ocean too unpredictable. It is wild in nature. Maybe if I had some experience with boats, it wouldn't be so intimidating.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

I've spent roughly half of my adult life living in this manner--though only a couple of years with a vehicle (1982 Diesel Westfalia), and the remainder on foot with tent and sundry implements, or bicycle with trailer containing said tent and sundry--and always with dog! No downsides from my perspective, especially if your not real keen on the company of other... humans.

I even recorded an album in a Westfalia, though it was mastered, and, of course, pressed (I haven't access to a lathe) in "civilization."

With the van, we spent most of my time in the deserts of the Southwest--Sonoran and Mojave--dozens of miles from human populated regions. On foot and bike, we had to remain a bit closer for logistical reasons, but were still sufficiently isolated.

8. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Yeah, haven't done that yet, but I could get into that. I'd worry a bit about keeping my harmonium and four-track dry though.

Or were you think more along the lines of a proper boat? I was thinking more of a sea kayak.

9. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

My thought is how a person would maintain an income stream? I could imagine working 6 months and traveling another 6. What was your experience?

10. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Aah, forgot that part.

One. I live very simply, and save a lot of money when I do work.

Two. Whilst traveling, I would occasionally do odd stuff--from stonemasonry to fact checking/editing (textbooks, student papers and the like) via computer when I would go into towns with wi-fi.

Three. Many times such travels were as a musician--in which case others would drive (as they didn't trust me) or I would use trains and such (as in Europe and elsewhere)--which pays shittily in the U.S. and adequately in Europe.

But seriously, I live on next to nothing for the most part.

11. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Funny because most my money goes to bills. I'm starting to question the logic in living a typical life. Thanks for sharing your experience.

12. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member