Amusment Park Rides

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Ivan Seeking, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Ivan Seeking Registered Senior Member

One boy killed on a water slide and three that fell from a Ferris Wheel. Today, people are starting to ask who regulates these rides on traveling parks and water parks.

Early in my career I helped to design a new amusement park ride. I was responsible for the controls. I was constantly told that the safety inspection was a big deal. I had some major concerns but assumed they would be addressed by the safety inspection. In the end, the inspector didn't check much of anything beyond a few clearances. To be blunt, the safety inspection was a joke and virtually non-existent. And this was for a completely new ride that had never been tested!!! I was horrified and swore off doing any more work for that industry.

It is regulated on a State by State basis. In some States, they actually post signs telling the potential patrons not to get on if the ride looks unsafe. This because they have little or no controls or inspections for traveling park rides.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

We have an amusement park in my town that has been around for many, many years. A few of those rides there have been in operation since before I was born. There is no way I would get on them or let a family member partake. Yeah, my guess is that you really are taking a risk when you jump on one of those rides. I believe that even Disney has had one or two failures.

Ivan Seeking likes this.
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ivan Seeking Registered Senior Member

I had my seat belt fail while I was on the Matterhorn, at Disneyland, when I was a child. I also had the safety bar on the corkscrew ride at Knott's Berry Farm fail. I had to hold myself in while we were upside down! So even the big parks have issues and apparently quite a few. How many times did I ride on a roller coaster? Not THAT many, and two failures that I can remember.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ivan Seeking Registered Senior Member

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Some states do check them out but the majority don't. The federal government never has that I can remember.

9. Ivan Seeking Registered Senior Member

10. naturallygorg Registered Member