An Anonymous Forum

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Zap, Dec 17, 2008.

?

Do you support a subforum for anonymous discussion?

1. Aye

22 vote(s)
    53.7%
  2. Nay

19 vote(s)
    46.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roman Banned Banned

How could it be a bad idea? Szygus likes it; ergo, it's a good idea.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Ahh I see.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I am genuinely ignoring opinions but I do like ARGUMENTS.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Do you have ANY? Or anybody else???

That is wrong with you people, you want to debate people instead of arguments, and that would be the whole point of an anonymus forum, that you have to debate the arguments, because you don't know who presents them...

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What option did you vote for ?

8. scott3x Banned Banned

I don't know about skaught, but I finally voted for yes, under the conditions outlined in this post.

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I did as well. And I imagined it exactly like you did

I think there are some major problems with such a forum though. For one, people are more easily able to break the rules without anyone knowing it was them.

10. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

I already gave you my arguments. Most of the posters at this place cannot even handle the small amount of anonymity that they already have, and you want more? You want a forum where there is even LESS of a threat to be banned, where people are free to say EVEN MORE dumbass, racist, or otherwise ignorant things?

If you want to see how well anonymous posting works, look at the comment threads under YouTube videos.

Zap---you of all people should know how easy it is to just register sock puppets ad nauseam.

11. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

You failed to address my points, so no response from me. :m:

Hint: There are advantages to a truly anonymous forum.

This was already addressed, the same rules apply to the anonymus forum. Haven't you been listening? The point is not to be more rude, but to express opinion what you wouldn't want to otherwise, and posters don't want to be biased towards other posters.

Anyway, this thread ran its course....

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  12. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Not really, lost interest a few weeks ago.

By checking the IP addresses of people who post there? How would you ensure this?

13. scott3x Banned Banned

Wait, if you imagined it exactly as I did...

Ok, I'm scott3x. I ask an admin for a registered sock puppet. A random sock is created, let's say anon1975. The connection between scott3x and anon1975 is put into a file for easy reference should anon1975 ever cause trouble. If anon1975 does something that's a bannable offense, the alias is checked out and both anon1975 -and- scott3x suffer the conesquences. So how would it make it easier for people to break the rules? If anything, this method could actually help enforce them; here is my logic for this:

I imagine that some people simply have an insatiable desire for a sock puppet. So they break the rules concerning sock puppets, which someone here said is fairly easy to do. Now -that- sock puppet is much harder to link to the original person; after all, the sock puppet is not registered, so you have to rely on things such as IPs that generally naturally change over time. What's worse, suppose 2 or more people share the same IP via a router or some such? Or perhaps the IP belongs to banned person at one point but then banned person gets a new one and the old one goes to innocent person who can no longer access sciforums. Bad luck for all the people sharing it.

-However-, if one is allowed to have a registered sock puppet, people wouldn't have to do something that could get them banned to satisfy their desire for a sock puppet. At the same time, if the person's registered sock puppet did a bannable offense, it could be easily ascertained who the sock puppet belonged to and the consequences of a bannable offense meted out only to the guilty party (this is, ofcourse, assuming that the sock puppet was being used by the person who officially owned it; no system is perfect and someone will always hack into any system no matter how well designed, given enough time).

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Well yea, if you register the names and their links to each other.
    This could work. But I wouldn't want the whole forum to be this way. One special subforum is enough.

15. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Scott, you are not getting it. The idea is not to have sockpuppets, but to eliminate bias....

16. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

That would not be anonymous though. If anon1 made more than 1 post he would no longer be anonymous would he.

17. scott3x Banned Banned

Yeah.

18. scott3x Banned Banned

By being able to post anonymously, right? I think having registered sock puppets should do the trick...

19. scott3x Banned Banned

Yes, anon1 would begin to have a history; but it would be a fresh one. I believe someone mentioned a truly anonymous forum somewhere and the level of discussion there (rather lame). If that's what you want, why not go somewhere like that? What I know is that I had fun being "WhoAmI?", which is essentially the same thing, only there I really did want people to figure out who I was eventually.

20. Zap Facts > Opinions Registered Senior Member

I once again give my full endorsement to this anonymous forum concept, and encourage other Sciforum heavyweights, like draqon, to do the same.

21. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Holy fuck, it is really not that hard to understand. If you have a sockpuppet, after a while your views are going to be known and associated with the sock puppet so it is no different than using your current name...

On the other hand if you are given a letter as a name in each thread in the subforum, you will be much hardr to recognize, although certain posters can be recognized no matter what...

You don't get it, just give it up...

22. Zap Facts > Opinions Registered Senior Member

Quite right, Syzygys. It is sad that some do not see the benefits of uncoupling username paradigms from content.

A little corner here that is anonymous will enable the free play of ideas and liberated interaction.

23. draqon Banned Banned

I am not that heavy. geee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.