Angela Merkel should be ashamed of her response to this sobbing Palestinian girl

Discussion in 'World Events' started by cosmictraveler, Jul 17, 2015.

1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

On Tuesday, German Chancellor Angela Merkel stood in front of a live TV camera and told a sobbing teenage girl that she couldn't stay in Germany.

The 13-year-old girl had, years earlier, fled a Palestinian refugee camp in Lebanon with her family. They settled in the German city of Rostock where, four years later, she ended up as one of several local teenagers on a TV program called "Good Life in Germany," meeting Angela Merkel.

"I have goals like everyone else," she explained in fluent German to a visibly shocked Merkel. "I want to go to university, that’s a goal I want to achieve."

But instead, she explained, she faces deportation along with the rest of her family. It was terribly difficult, she said in a shaky voice, to see others enjoying their lives in Germany but feel she could not participate.
    Merkel seemed momentarily speechless, at first responding with nothing more than a stern "Hmm."
    Although she collected herself after a moment, the response she came up with wasn't much of an improvement: "Politics is hard sometimes."

http://hsrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=A2KLtXyY...NoYW1lZA--/RS=^ADABsTPpKErE1E7QpIc3S3xNerY5w0-

After reading this article I decided to try and find out why nothing was ever said about the abuse the Palestine government is doing to make anyone want to leave their own country. Why is it we see only ONE point of view about the problems the emigrants are having and find out what makes the Palestinian government so wrong that many of their own citizens want to leave?

Why is it always the country that refuses the immigrants a place to live when the real problem comes from those politicians who run Palestine not confront their own problems there but instead make people not want to stay and live where they are born?

So lets hear about why all of these people are running away from their homes because that is the real heart of this matter. I'm for a controlled immigration to any country that wants to allow for immigrants to live in their country only if that country will be able set the limits and standards as to who is allowed in for many people come that are unwanted like prisoners or medical problems or poverty.

People should stand up against their country if it isn't doing the right thing to its citizens and make it a better place to live in instead of running away from problems they should stand and change their own country.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bells Staff Member

Pretty sure it's not the Palestinian government that is making Palestinians want to live elsewhere....

pjdude1219 likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Why do you say that? The citizens are leaving and so far the questions as to why they are doing so hasn't been discussed that I can find. People who are content won't want to leave where they were born under most conditions. Why don't we find out and get to the heart of this problem which lies in Palestine.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bells Staff Member

You cannot be serious?

You seriously cannot imagine or fathom why Palestinians might want to leave and live elsewhere?

At all?

I don't know if you are trolling or you genuinely cannot figure out why...

Just to scratch the surface..

That means that for Palestinians — even those that live in the areas that some might see as Palestinian territory — Israel controls some of the most basic aspects of life. In the West Bank, Israeli authorities have total or partial control over 82% of the territory, giving the Palestinian Authority jurisdiction only over the 18% called Area A. But even in this space, Israel takes the reins. It controls most of the West Bank's water, for example, and even collects taxes on behalf of the Palestinian Authority. And crucially, Israel has the sole power to grant citizenship and residency status across the whole territory.

"When I go abroad, people I meet think Israel and Palestine are two separate lands," Ramzi Jaber, co-founder of Visualizing Palestine, told PolicyMic. "But that’s not the case. It’s one single border that's controlled by a single authority. It's one single currency, Israeli Shekels. It’s practically one economy, a captive economy with 70% of Palestinian imports coming from, and 86% of exports going to, Israel. Most importantly of all, there’s one single population registry controlled by Israel's Ministry of Interior."

The contiguity between what the world sees as Israel and Palestine being is blurred further all the time. In 2012, the UN estimated more than 500,000 Israeli settlers in the West Bank and East Jerusalem — areas that are supposedly under negotiation as territory for the future Palestinian state. And that number only continues to grow. In 2013, the rate of Israeli settlement construction increased by 123%. Like everyone else in the territory, both settlers and Palestinians in those areas live under the same Israeli population registry, but with very different rights.

Then of course comes the embargo's and sanctions which make day to day life nearly impossible. The discrimination and apartheid like laws and rules which make life a nightmare. And I am not even touching on the lack of opportunities, such as education, health and housing, that Palestinians face.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I was only trying to FOCUS on the reasons people are leaving Palestine are not because of Germany not wanting them to be let in but as you so well point out the way they are treated there. If their leaders can't prevent problems from happening, like controlling terrorists that live in Palestine, then why should Germany be picked on for not allowing immigration when it isn't their problem and the MEDIA doesn't say much about that whenever I read what is going on in that area of the world.

Why can't the pressure be put on Palestine instead of Germany whenever there is a immigration problem?

9. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Because the problem is with Israel. And Germany supports Israel.

If you ask why the pressure can't be put on Israel, you will begin to approach a reasonable question.

They have been thoroughly and loudly and repeatedly discussed in the reality based media for fifty years now. They have been the major topic of major political initiatives by each of the last ten US administrations at least. Where are getting your information?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Why is Germany being singled out for problems with Palestine? Stop talking about something that has nothing to do with the political mess that Palestine has within its own government. Stick to only stories about Palestine not Germany who has nothing to do with it at all.

11. Bells Staff Member

Short of asking if you have lived in a dark cave for the last.. oooh, I don't know.. 50 years or so, I am still at a loss that you don't understand why Palestinians may want to escape oppression, occupation and a horrible existence.

Secondly, no one is picking on Germany. What people are doing is raising an eyebrow at an adult that effectively patted a kid on the back, as she sobbed because she just saw her future and any chance she may have at a future disappear in front of her eyes, and told her 'tough luck kid, now leave'.

Thirdly, you started a thread that singled out Germany and Merkel, so your comment:

Kind of makes no sense.

What, exactly, do you wish to discuss?

12. iceaura Valued Senior Member

It isn't. Germany is being criticized for its own immigration policies - as are many other countries.
    The mess involved is not within Palestine's government.
    Germany has more to do with it than Palestine does, because Germany is a recognized State with a foreign policy and it supports Israel's mess creation in Palestine. Palestine is not recognized as a State, and has little control over the Israeli mistreatment of Palestinians that has produced so many emigrants.

Your choices are Israel, or Germany, as responsible parties for the German immigration issues with Palestinians.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That's just tough. If we were to be vulnerable to every sob story, we would soon make our countries as shitty as the places these refugees are coming from.

14. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

same old spider with your blind hate and love of violence. we both know if this happened to a jew you'd be throwing a hissy fit. so why don't you spare us your fucking bullshit and stay out of it.

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

There's an example of why we can't have a rational immigration policy.

16. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

no spider. its an example of you missing the point for your own self serving reasons. the issue was a world leader shitting on some one they helped harm. of course your down with that the powerful get to hurt who ever they want right? they have the power so of course its ok for them to do it. so don't lie and pretend my comment was anything other than a critique of your own fucked up sense of morality.

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

So everyone poor person with no future in their home country deserves to take advantage of your national wealth?

18. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

you get one chance spider because i am so very tired people pretending to be stupid so they don't haver to be accountable for their shitty ideas. You either act like an intelligent person and address my actual point or i can go ahead and treat you like your actual the moron you want to pretend to be. 1 chance choose carefully your not going to like it if you choose wrong.

so again its not about her controlling immigration. its about a world leader telling a child there is nothing that can be done for them when they have materially contributed to that person's misfortune. what she did was kinda of like taking your friends car crashing it and than refusing to let them borrow their care. friend than gets fired and gets evicted and friends won't them let them live with them saying i can't have you living with me. its the smacking her down when she is partially responsible for the persons plight which is the issue. she is pretending to not have any responsibility for her being a refugee in the first place and than going tough.

look spider we all know your history and your issues and how they come into play here. so either quit dishonestly derailing the topic or address the actual issues. you've ignored the OP and responded to part of a post taken wildly out of context.

19. Bells Staff Member

Are you channeling Donald Trump or something?

I'm sure European Jews felt the same way when they were given a new country all for their very own... Which, ultimately, is why Palestinians are now in such dire circumstances.

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The circumstances for everyone are only going to get more dire. We have to be honest with ourselves and realize that countries are not bottomless pits of prosperity that can sustain anyone who comes along. European countries especially.

21. Bells Staff Member

No one is saying that they are.

But countries that helped cause the issues that resulted in other countries dire circumstances should shoulder some of the burden.

And telling a crying kid on TV the equivalent of 'tough luck, get the fuck out', showed a lack of empathy and compassion to the plight of others, in particular that girl.

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

We all caused the issues, where do you draw the line? I admire Merkel, for her honesty. If it's a rule, it's a rule, and it doesn't matter if you happen to have big weepy eyes that the media can turn into a headline. I bet people wouldn't be so sympathetic to her (theoretical) unemployed teenage brothers who might hold a grudge for the west, so why make an exception for her?

23. Bells Staff Member

You kind of need to stop and ask yourself why people might hold a grudge against the West and work from there.

Well, most people would.

No one is asking her to make an exception. People noted that she acted like a heartless stone in the face of absolute devastation that young girl is now facing.

Where do I draw the line? I guess at the point where we fix what we have broken.