Another Palin scandal

Discussion in 'Politics' started by joepistole, Sep 11, 2008.

1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Palin is now reported to have charged the state almost a $100,000 for travel last year. The peculiar aspect is that the travel occured while she resided in her home. Additionally, she charged travel for her children to the state. State rules say anyone can be reimbursed for travel if on state business. It is hard to imagine her children conducting state business.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/09/ap/politics/main4432737.shtml

How does this fit with honesty and frugality?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John99 Banned Banned

She probably figured that Governors on make a certain amount of money and with five kids she cant leave them home alone. Come on Joe.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superstring01 Moderator

I do as well. This is the charade that we're put through. McCain says something nasty, it makes headlines. Obama says something off base, it makes headlines. All the while we aren't hearing a peep form Palin except the same speech she's given twelve times and numerous talking points that distract away from the issues that America wants to hear about.

~String

8. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

As to the supposed Palin scandals thrown to the wall, it is a tale
    Told by idiots, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing.

9. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

This is what I don't get. You say at one time you were a democrat and for one reason or another you felt the party had lost it's way and you switched. Are you telling me you think the Republicans are doing right by this country? Geesh, In their spare time from preaching about God (while trying to give blow jobs in local jons) they're bankrupting the country.

We've NEVER seen such HUGE debt and irresponsible spending. Everything from Fanny Mae to Holiday at Hotel Halliburton. The government is what? 5 times larger now?

I mean come on..... other than playing the Jesus card republicans are about as far from traditional policy as one can get.

So, I have no idea WHY on Earth you'd support Republicans?

10. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I knew it, She embezzled funds for childcare!.

Well, Just another day in the media folks, step right up, sensation to your left, and real news in that garbage dump over there.

11. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

And there is yet another investigation in the works...her involvement with a 527 organized by Senator Stevens...the guy who is alleged to have failed to disclose receiving hundreds of thousands of dollars from an oil company.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/09/01/palin_was_a_director_of_embatt.html

This appears to be another case of being for it before being against it. The 527 was set up to solicit unlimited funding from corporations.

Below is a youtube endorsement of Paling by Senator Ted Steven (now under federal indictment)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o46YdvT3lwQ

So it would appear that Palin was much less of an insider than she made herself out to be.

12. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

Oblberman showed 6 different videos of McCain using the Lipstick on a Pig comment. I swear, the McCain campaign is shameless.

13. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

100,000 is a lot of money for "child care". Many parents travel and work and it's not too often they get to spend as much on childcare as they are paid to work!

14. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

And I have been a Traditional Democrat, and when the party returns to the policies of JFK, HHH, and Scoop Jackson, fiscal responsibility, strong defence, and lower taxes, and jobs at home first, I just may vote for a Democrat again, but that isn't what you are going to find in the party today, and Obama doesn't have the Gravitas to handle the likes of Reed, Pelosi, Dick Durban, and a host of other tax and spend Democrats who have their own agenda.

The deficit isn't just from one party its the accumulation of policies from the Vietnam war till today, both Democrat and Republican, both have spent more than we take in, in Taxes, and neither party has ever made a budget that spent less then the year before.

Only in Washington, is it called a cut, when you request a 14% increase for a Budget Item, get a 7% increase in the budget item, that is 3% above inflation, and the Democrats say that we cut the budget 7% and the poor are going to starve, it is called Base Line Budgeting, and both Parties do it and both parties got us in this situation.

Obama doesn't have any situational awareness about military matters, or even his own campaign agenda, and his energy policy sucks big time, he has no plan to get us through the next 8 years that isn't going to increase energy cost 10 fold, and trash the economy like we have never seen before, what will happen will make the Depression of the 30tys look like High Times on Friday Night.

Obama is part and parcel of the Chicago Machine, he started out as a Ward Heeler, and worked his way up, he is tied in to so many shady charters it isn't funny and they will all have their hands up his back side as payback, for putting him at the top, it has always been that way in Chicago and it seem that it will always be so.

Now as to McCain, I have total respect for him as a Military Man who went through hell and stayed with his fellow soldiers, and didn't break faith, as to his politic's, I find more agreement with him than against him, but what I disagree with him on just maybe the deal breaker.

Now as to Sara Palin, I want her to run in 4 years, the only way to clean Washington is to get ride of all of the Bastards who have built and bought home there, and moved their families there, when they move their Families to the Virginia Country side, an suburbs of Washington they are no longer resident of the State they are representing.

The Government was suppose to be a couple of terms, and then return to your State and job or business, and get some one else in to office.

There was not suppose to be a retirement benefit, or separate health care, and all the special privilege that they have voted to them selves, that are not available to the Taxpayer.

There shouldn't be one of those bastard to be in office long enough to ever retire in office.

Their health care in office should be the Medicare System that they imposed on everyone else, and and they should have to pay for their health care like everyone else.

It's called clean sweep, and I would throw McCain out like every one else, but I have my own ideas as to how thing should go in 4 years, and I will vote to see that happen.

Now again as to Obama, he isn't a outsider, he is a Chicago Machine Politician, and that is not a outsider, it is just replacing one crook with a Chicago Crook.

15. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

In Alaska, they fly almost everywhere, so I am not sure whether the $100K is justified or not. I know the State has its own planes, but I am not sure whether she was taking them and what all the surrounding facts are.

While being "the largest state in the Union" means nothing with regard to her leadership ability, it might have an impact on her travel expenses.

As for the kids, what should a state employer do when a working mother has to tak ethe kids with her? Should they limit travel reimbursement to the employee only? I know that when I travel on business sometimes I have to board my dogs for the duration of the trip, and when I do that, I submit a bill to my employer. I am incurring the costs for their benefit, not mine or the dogs', I'm just as happy to stay home.

Should a state employee feel differently?

16. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

It is a matter of policy and law in this case. It is not state policy to reimburse child travel. In the United States most employers do not make reimbursements for dog boarding expense or child travel expenses. What would be the business rational for taking your child with you to New York? What would be the rational for claiming travel expenses when you are not traveling?

17. Quigly ......................... ..... Registered Senior Member

not sure if it matters to you, but by comparison Frank Murkowski, her predecessor charged $463,000 for air fare in 2006. Palin charged $93,000 in 2007.

18. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Gah, should have added /end sarcasm to that comment.

I was apparently in a humorous mood at that time.

19. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Yes it is not relevant...but Murkowski was spending that 463k on a private jet. Palin is putting a portion of it in her pocket.

20. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Did you read to the bottom of the article?

So she did exactly what she said she would do---she cut gov. expenditures over the previous guy. This is hardly a scandal---you seem to be grasping at straws.

21. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

BenTheMan you are an intelligent fellow. You know the the issue here is not about how much was spent. It is about putting the money in one's pocket illegally. Most people call that stealing. Again, this is not an issue of spending but of moral turpitude.

22. amark317 game developer-in-training Registered Senior Member

Okay, Sarah Palin's Doughter getting pregnant is absolutely

NO BIG DEAL.

It doesn't affect how I think of her as a politician, and has no place in the news or the Presidential debates.

23. John99 Banned Banned

i love this. people fighting over (for) politicians.