Anti-religion internet memes

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by StrangerInAStrangeLand, Sep 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I admit, I am somewhat vexed by this statement; perhaps my reading comprehension is a bit askew thanks to the rather interesting week that is capping a busy and strenuous month... but I can't figure out what you are meaning here. I am thinking you are referencing something akin to the Crusades?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

The fundamental problem with this viewpoint is that you will never be satisfied with the opposing viewpoint because the evidence you demand is impossible to produce; it would be like telling someone who was gang-raped in front of several witnesses, all of whom have testified that, yes, they saw it happen, that you cannot prosecute the rapists because she went home and showered and scrubbed herself clean, leaving no physical DNA evidence of the event.

Or, perhaps even more accurately - it's like how flat-earth believers deny any and all evidence that they themselves cannot see (going so far as to claim that the curvature seen via camera is due to first fish-eye lenses, and then due to the "distortion of glass windows"... wut?)

So... throw the baby out with the bath water, then?

It will almost always, eventually, "win you the day" because people only have a finite amount of time to spend on debating things with internet strangers. Eventually, they will just throw up their hands and walk away, knowing that no matter how much evidence they provide, it has already been pre-determined by the opposing side that it will never be enough to be acceptable.

Thank you - your apology is appreciated. I am also sorry for getting so snippy with you; I should know better than to get into debates like this when I'm already stressed out (real life has been... busy. very busy, to say the least).

I like to think that, overall, it has been a net positive for society... but I see folks, like some in the GOP, using it like a club against their enemies and I just want to scream. That isn't what it is supposed to be about... and is why separation of church and state is supposed to be so prominent and important a tenant for this country.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Except, reality is subjective... (or so they say)

Also, I present to you - the duck billed platypus.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

The existence of the name doesn't necessitate the existence of the character that we think of as Jesus.

That isn't obvious to me, no. Checking the movement sounds like suppression of Christianity.

8. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

No nothing like that at all.
    Your use of these "parrallel stories" suffer because neither example you offer are in anyway similar in any way at all.

So rather than saying it would be like this or that let us look at my approach and let it be judged fairely.

The JC story fits into a time where folk were not fortunate to know much about the world and used superstition and astrology to provide answers.
    Astrology had great influence in their world as they saw the heavens as where the Gods existed.
    I think JC and others before him tried to fit within the astrology.
    There are at least 10 other "gods" that existed prior to JC that were born from a mother whos name started with M which seems to be a link to a certain star whos name also starts with M.
    The "god" in all these prior case were the son or rather the Sun...and moved about with twelve followers just as the Sun moves through twelve constelations.
    These earlier "gods" having the same story as JC reasonably suggests JC was following a well used method of fitting folks expectations of a god which seemed to demand certain astrological fundamentals be met.
    Then we have JC's birth that parrallels astrology.
    It seems Sirius was "the star" and "the three kings" stars in Orion that point to where Sirius rises on 25th December.
    The christian fish is an astrology sign.
    The death and resurrection is a parrallel of the Suns behaviour mid winter.
    Now I have been very brief not to prove a point but to show the JC story is nothing like a rape case or flat Earth stuff.
    I dont believe JC died and rose after three days as I think that part of the story was invented to link JC with the Sun and therefore show him to be the God that was in the heaven moving about with his followers the 12 zodiac constalations.

Now what I have told you is but a brief introduction as to why the evidence points to JC being a product of astrology.
    I find it more appealing than the idea that a human claiming to be god was god.

If you want evidence I do think you need to fit all you know in the context of the superstitions of the times.

Finally JC promised to the folk he was talking to that he would return in their lifetime and a god could do that I expect...but he has not returned.

None of my approach remotely fits your rape case or flat Earth anologies.

All I will leave you with is the suggestion that JC may have been more the product of astrology than a human that was God.
    I dont like that saying it brings in emotions that are irrelevant.
    Nothing to do with bathing babies or the risk of getting rid of good stuff with bad stuff.

But if the baby is dead I think it best to bury it.

The proposition is...if JC is not God the christians are wrong.

If not God then all the evidence that followed has been accumulated to support a lie.

Why do you find such an approach unreasonable.

So for me looking at all the evidence I find the probability that JC was God to be extremely remote and the evidence offerred to suggest he was God unconvincing.
    Add to the mix that JC's story was not recorded in his life time makes critical examination impossible.

Well of course.
    Anything I have said about astrology being behind the JC story will be rejected by you because you wont allow the penny to drop.

If I thought that you would accept any of it I would not only provide more support for my observations but in addition links etc to establish my proposition...but I know you wont nay cant entertain my idea for a second...

I dont believe one humans claim that he was God and all I wish from you is that you understand that I have taken some time to arrive at that conclusssion and that I have considered more than just one source to place the claim in context.
    JC was not the first to make the claim and his similarities to others making similar claims prior must alert one to the real posibility that JC was simply just another character making claims in the same format as others before him.

If any of it interests you look it up.

There is no harm done.
    Having a go here probably was helpful in letting off steam.
    I think all rational folk be they believers or not would like separation.

You have a good day and I hope things become less stressful...try this self talk ...." this time next year I will look back at today and laugh".....☺

and usually that is the way it will go.
    Alex

9. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Precisely, one is totally unable to divorce oneself from oneself. Even God.
    An interesting mutation. Apparently successful. It has survived all this time.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  10. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Duck billed platypus, interesting mutation , and like the jc story mutation, has survived

When it was first displayed no one thought it real. It was made up by a taxidermist

Pity they didn't take the same approach to the jc story

For the duck billed platypus evidence was forthcoming. jc story, not so

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Write4U and Xelasnave.1947 like this.
  11. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Is there a playypus that does not have a duck bill?
    Alex

12. Write4U Valued Senior Member

No, but there are very few mammals that lay eggs. The Platypus is an awesome example of evolution. Borrowed a lot of genetic stuff from a lot of different species or evolved these attributes all by itself. Remarkable.

13. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The point is simple: You're dishonest. Why should anyone waste their time on you?

Seriously, even the rest of your post on this occasion is a complete failure. No, seriously:

(1) "silvery salamander" — Why can't you just address what's there? Why do you need to change the subject?

(2) "mammalian procreation" — And? Seriously: Why do you need to change the subject?

(3) "Yes I understand" — No, you don't, else you wouldn't need to change the subject.

(4) "Honest criticism without insult to serious participants" — Yes, and you fail. You are dishonest. You are a libelous, bigoted zealot.​

Again, troll: Why should anyone waste their time on you?

14. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Don't think so but not checked

I am sure there are a lot of duck bills, with ducks, and not platypuses attached

Bonus - checked

Egg-laying Mammals. There are only five living monotreme species: the duck-billed platypus and four species of echidna (also known as spiny anteaters). All of them are found only in Australia and New Guinea

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/mammal/monotreme.html

Is there a playypus that does not have a duck bill?

So no

15. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Then don't, I won't miss you. There seem to be plenty posters who find my post interesting, even if they don't agree with me. By implication you are calling all those other posters libelous bigots. Not a way to make friends and influence people.

Tiassa, I did not start this name calling. Look to yourself for those uncontrolled outbursts of temper. Methinks thou protests too much.......

16. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

And here is me thinking it was just an intelligent design☺.
    Alex

Michael 345 and Write4U like this.
  17. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///
    You make me wish there were a dislike button.
    Face reality. YOU are the troll.

<>

18. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I'm sorry Kit, there is no intention on my part to inflict hurt. I speak only my thoughts, after weighing them by the evidence.

But, yes for one, history records the Holy Crusades as specifically commanded by the King, Church and the Christian God. Long before then, the priest Cyril was canonized by the Christian church for his order to kill the scientist Hypatia of Alexandria in the name of God.

And then there is that famous expression "praise be Allah" from that other Abrahamic religion, while they're blowing up someone else's church or trade center. Riddle me that one.

19. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Borrowed a lot of genetic stuff from a lot of different species

Don't know if you are serious but no evolution not work that way

evolved these attributes all by itself

Would have liked it if it had gone around and pinched what it liked / wanted from different species

20. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

It would have been after a heavy night out

21. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

So to duck and weave? or to platt a puss is the only question☺.

I wondered...if the intelligent designer was so clever why is it that millions of designs exist.

If intelligent you could think one or two would be all you need.
    Alex

22. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

It was probably more about getting rid of a pesky female that inadvertently showed they were no more than ignorant sex starved crazy arogant and ineffectual males neither at home with real men nor real females.
    Alex

23. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I have been notified that 2 more of my posts have been moved to this thread. I am being censored. I suspect by a confused anti-atheist atheist.

<>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.