Any aliens out there?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by John J. Bannan, Jun 27, 2007.

1. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

Enmos. There is certainly a limit to how smart we can become. Even machines do not work with "machine-like" precision as they become ever more complicated, as their parts become ever smaller. Our brain is supposed to be a fantastic computer but we are outperformed by basic computers on so many tasks because our minds have so many other things to cope with at one time and is at the mercy of the chemicals produced by the body.

Diseases are still evolving and maybe one day, one of them will beat us. Extinction level impacts happen as does weather changes and environmental disasters caused by over population.

I remember someone saying civilisations lasted about several million years according to his calculations so we would never find any "very old" civilisations in the universe. He maybe wrong though.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

orcot. Despite what was originally believed, black holes seems to have less gravitational attraction at a distance than the stars which created them by a great factor. One BH of several solar masses was said to have a stable orbit just one hundred miles away. It is possible that we have the solar content masses of super-massive BH's hugely undervalued.

It is probable that a very small BH, like a proton would keep to itself and never affect anything else because it is just too small. We are a very long way still from being able to make a BH that could be dangerous to us. That is not to say that some day we might not try out a new invention which wipes us all out. Imagine if the expanding universe were a 4D hypersphere (four physical dimensions) and we punctured it and worse, created a rip which spread across it. The eventual end of the universe.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I'd say several millions of years is a huge stretch. We could have ended ourselves or be destroyed by something else long ago.
    Do you have a link to the calculation he used for that ?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. orcot Valued Senior Member

No only jupiter and even that is uncertain because it's so far off, what we would conclude is that the inner habitable zone is free to contain any numbre of (habitable) planet(s), and that jupiter's orbit is verry circular.

15 years from now we could detect Saturn and perhaps earth, venus and the asteroid belt that would give a decent hint of mars precences altough they wouldn't be able to determing it's mass to something like 10-40% earth masses because it's to small to detect.

Anyway it sorta continues afther a 100 year when we would already be able to see your house (figurly spoken)

8. Laika Space Bitch Registered Senior Member

Kaneda, the gravitational field strength around an object is determined by the object's mass - never mind the fact that that mass might be in a star or concentrated in a singularity. The only reason a black hole would have a weaker gravitational field than its parent star is because of the mass lost during the supernova.

Someone calculated the lifetime of an average civilisation and came up with a few million years? Based on what - the few thousand years of terrestrial civilisation? How absurd.

9. orcot Valued Senior Member

It was a mere example to say that the next wheel or obvious technological invention (so obvious that any advance civilisation would encounter it in one way or a other). Has a devestating trick up it's sleef that would be the doom on any advance civilisation preventing them from getting more advanced by vaporazing theirs (and possible neighbour) star system.

a few? this is how we looked like yust 2 milion years ago. Besides even with 2 million years you only have to travel at a average of 9% the speed of light the colonise the entire 2-4 hundred billion stars in our galaxy

10. Donnal Registered Member

If by any chance there were aliens out there
    would anyone now their language?
    what if they see things differently to us
    just say for instance the disease called the flu
    maybe they see it as a chain reaction causing everyone to have it
    and what about if they see that weather can be changed by using and empowering the chain reaction
    maybe the way we talk and see things we will never know what they see or talk about
    maybe they know how to just break down a man and zap him or there
    we prolly would never know how to do this or talk to them about it without putting our own degrees in front of an alien saying we smarter now we can talk
    maybe they see it as whaqt the fucks a paper gonna do to help you will it stop the bombs coming or sumthing does it stop lighting from hitting you
    they prolly thing we nuts

11. Donnal Registered Member

i doubt very much they would even bother to attack us when were the link to their destruction
    and i doubly doubt they would ever have a chat with us when they could blow our minds away
    i think its best to asume that we can defeat the purpose of alien invasion or if there is aliens out there cause nothing matters anyway
    our intelligence is based on certificates and not language
    we get a degree in this and a degree in that

i could say i saw ufo's but who can say if im telling the truth or not
    i can say what they look like no ones gonna believe me
    but it will counteract with their ability to function they will always wonder
    do aliens exist and where and why all that will go thru the mind at one time or other
    when we are the link to a species that can rule the entity of space
    but as the saying goes .....THE GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE

12. orcot Valued Senior Member

wouldn't be to hard to find out especially with direkt communications.
    Lady My left Eye see's different then my right
    ... So, that's more or less correct isn't it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Commen intrest
    well it helps
    A nuke is the most prominent weapon that shows a pen is mightier then a sword it only takes a scryble and a telephone call whill we try to keep anyone who's indeferent of the paper away from suchs weapons.
    The evidence is there what else is there to conclude any ID how much of our economie has been spend on military these last 100 years how much of it wasted, there offcourse many other topics but hey

13. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

Enmos. No link. I did wonder how the guy reached it.

14. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

orcot. You mean that an alien race a century in advance of us might be even now spying on me from their own planetary system? Gasp! Where's my tin foil hat?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  15. Donnal Registered Member

OK i will admitt i have seen many UFO'S so close you could almost touch them
    grey ones and some with pulsating light and ones with colour change and a long one with lights going up and down in a line

16. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

Laika. It is assumed that a five solar mass black hole will have a gravitation field equal to five solar masses but that may not be so. One nearby black hole was found to have a stable orbit just one hundred miles away which is impossible for that much matter in a stellar form.

I don't know how the guy got his figure. It seemed strange to me too.

17. Donnal Registered Member

i just didnt wanna admitt is cause who is gonna believe me when it was right there in front of my face only a mate saw the same and we made a promis not to tell
    i broke that promise

18. Donnal Registered Member

well i figure their are paths like the one the satelites on
    that are faster than any thing and when there on that path they can manipulate time

19. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

Donnal. Considering the size of a galaxy and how few races and how many planets there probably are (by comparison) I think the only reason for one race to attack another is if they see them as a present or future threat.

However, races may be so few that an advanced race would keep an eye on a primitive race "in the neighbourhood" without having anything to do with them until the primitive race can first contact them.

20. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

Donnal. I doubt that I would want contact with a UFO in case these stories of alien experimentation are true. They might look on us as we look on say dogs, or worse as we look on ants, being totally alien to us and with technology we cannot imagine.

21. Donnal Registered Member

yeah true i agree with you

22. Laika Space Bitch Registered Senior Member

Kaneda, the only reason a five-solar-mass star couldn't be orbited at 100 miles is that the star itself would be far larger than 200 miles across. However, a five-solar-mass black hole will have a diameter (I mean the diameter of the event horizon) far smaller than this (I don't know the equation, but I believe a one-solar-mass black hole will be only a few miles across). The only factor limiting the proximity of a stable orbit is the strength of the tidal forces acting on that object. So an arbitrarily small object can orbit arbitrarily close to a black hole's event horizon. Remember, you orbit around the centre of mass. In the case of a black hole, that mass is extremely (infinitely?) concentrated. In the case of a star, the gaseous matter of the star itself prevents you from orbiting any closer to the centre of mass than the star's radius.

23. orcot Valued Senior Member

In 1900 their where 1,6 billion people the telephone had yust been invented and where starting to pop up, avionics where virtual non existence (wright brothers are from 1903).

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Could a alien race that's only a 100 years more advanced see your hometown. They would have to be from alpha centauri but it's not impossible.
    Chanses are if you live a other 20 or 30 years we will probably see continent like details and a other so many years would probably result in hubble like details and near the end of the century who knows what?

They would have to be verry close by and progress scientificly fasther then us but it's not impossible (unlickly though)