Any atheists here who were once believers?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by wegs, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Just a correction, although some would undoubtedly disagree with me, but "atheism" is not necessarily the belief that god does not exist, but rather just the not holding of the belief that god does exist.
    Myself, I am an agnostic atheist - I don't go so far as to believe that God does not exist, although in practical aspects they are similar, the main difference generally only being while actually discussing the matter.

Anyhoo, whichever way you want to use the term "atheist", just a suggestion that you make it clear in any discussions so as to avoid any confusion / disagreements as a result.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. elte Valued Senior Member

You're welcome Wegs. I recall a very large portion of things taught me early in life to be about God. There wasn't any way to know that it was basically fantasy. It isn't easy to accept that something that gave so much comfort isn't real anymore.

Yet, like you pretty much said elsewhere, it was kinda a relief to be free of the struggle of trying to find information to support the belief in God.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

You don’t know my life, wynn…or what I’ve experienced. This thread is to see if there’s anyone who’s been in my shoes, so to speak. Not discuss the various ‘’versions’’ of Christianity. I haven’t lived a sheltered life, and I’m not willing to spar with you over straw men. If you wish to insult me, or whatever…please refrain from posting in this thread.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. gmilam Valued Senior Member

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I don't know that people can choose what they believe. Personally, I weigh the evidence and go from there. If the evidence leads to non-belief, then so be it. I can't MAKE myself believe what doesn't make sense to me. It has nothing to do with what I WANT the truth to be.

8. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

That is what Christianity teaches people to do. It does not get you to think, it gets you to obey and worship, neither of which have ever shown to be positive attributes in society or with humans. Communism, for example, fails because it does not take into account the human condition. Many such ideologies fail for the same reason, religion being just one of them. Hence, it is not just Christianity, it is all religions that fail. They do little more than cause conflict, which is exactly what you're now experiencing and more importantly, understanding about your Christian friends. They are actually good people, just like your bf, but it is the ideology of Christianity that is teaching them and making them do bad things.

Obviously, it would appear as if you are tired of being taught to do bad things.

9. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Uh. I guess I've been involved in such discussions long enough to spot a person's key points on religion simply from a few paragraphs of theirs.

My point is that believers are not the same, and cannot simply be compared or equated. I would think this insight would help someone who describes themselves as a former believer.

The only one suggesting strawmen is you.

Ah, suit yourself.
    :shrug:

10. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Wegs, I'm inclined to think you were never a theist.
    Belief in darwinian evolution means you don't believe in God.

jan.

11. arauca Banned Banned

/////////////////////////////////////////////
    " They are actually good people, just like your bf, but it is the ideology of Christianity that is teaching them and making them do bad things." Such as send missionary to make schools, help people in need, provide shelter for homeless, visit inmate in prison, provide shelter for battered women , build housing in foreign lands , and many more
    " Hence, it is not just Christianity, it is all religions that fail." You must be proud of the accomplishment of the secular , such as communism in their accomplishment for over 79 years and the co-laps
    ///////////////
    By the way, can you explain what you mean by positive attribute

12. geeser Atheism:is non-prophet making Valued Senior Member

Arauca: Have you read the book of Acts, communism is a Christian concept why did you lump it with secularism. Just because a country is communist that does not mean they don't worship a god. What do you think the north Koreans think Kim Jong-il was and Kim Jong-un is.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Not everything non-religious is good. Rejecting the absurdity of religion doesn't mean that we will no longer make mistakes. But in fact I could point to the many accomplishments of communism and the fact that many of it's citizens felt it was on balance a positive thing. The history of the founding of the United States almost every other country was likewise tainted by violence.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The Christian God. Wegs might have her own conception of god that is just loosely based on the Bible.

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Then, the Pope and the Archbishop of Canterbury, along with the vast majority of Christians don't believe in God.

16. arauca Banned Banned

Yes there was a time were they were a communist society , I believe the Essins were also .. I think there is a difference if it is volunteer or enforced by the system, I can add also the Kibuz in Israel , were they I believe are a mixture of secular and religious.

In the a9 and 20 century communism, they persecuted the religious community.

17. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

And, they do those things to make conversions, not for doing any good.

Ah, yet another believer who has no concept of communism.

Secular societies are what gives you the right to practice your religion and air your beliefs in public. You should be thankful you live in a secular society and not a religious state.

18. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

That is not true, I believe in God and Jesus, and believe in evolution. So you are wrong Jan, so please admit it. It means we have to give both Genesis and the reason for Christ a different meaning. God has asked us to rewrite the stories into ones modern people can believe.

19. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

But sadly, you make that claim without knowing anything about communism.

You should really try to make an attempt to get your facts straight before posting here so as not to look so foolish.

20. arauca Banned Banned

Yes there was a time were they were a communist society , I believe the Essins were also .. I think there is a difference if it is volunteer or enforced by the system, I can add also the Kibuz in Israel , were they I believe are a mixture of secular and religious.

In the a9 and 20 century communism, they persecuted the religious community.

21. arauca Banned Banned

Perhaps you know better then I . My grandparents died in Siberia , one aunt was sent to Siberia in 1939 the other was sent to Siberia 1946 , My two uncles were murdered in prison, I have photograph on persecution .///// Now you tell me how much you know , so that we can discuss

22. arauca Banned Banned

I think you are trying purposely you just attempting to irritate me .

23. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Maybe her God likes Darwin. Are you sure yours doesn't?