Any atheists here who were once believers?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by wegs, Sep 18, 2013.

1. river

Agreed

THAT is surprising answer

Because this is exactly what I do , I reason it out

Exactly

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

you take reasoning to a whole other level

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

oh hey, river

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Balerion Banned Banned

The question of whether atheists are more intelligent than religious people isn't one of perception, but statistical fact. Statistics show that professed atheists tend to have higher IQs than their believer counterparts. Does this necessarily mean they're more intelligent? I don't know.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Hmmm...It'd be interesting to see if ''professed atheists'' mean have they been atheists their entire lives?
    I think there's exceptions to the stats, certainly...but I just know that my reasoning skills need sharpening from years of not reasoning often enough, through conflicts and personal/professional dilemmas. I don't know what a life without prayer...will be like. To solely use logic, experience, reasoning? That would be different.

8. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Very often, believers are offended when others tell them they've been indoctrinated, but that is what's required in order to believe in things without proof or without question.

You will often hear of atheists stating they have and hold no beliefs, which basically means they don't believe in things without questioning them first. Of course, once a person begins questioning, they will often reach an "understanding", which then precludes the need to believe.

You will probably often read my posts in which I make that distinction. For example, someone may say they believe in evolution, but I will interject to ask if they actually understand it.

9. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

Good luck on your journey Wegs wherever it may lead you.

I hope whatever you decide you will not be ostracized by your family or current friends. Personally I have experienced at best a cool response by now former friends and many family members. and at worst ostracizing by same. I hope this will not be your experience, but you should be prepared for this likelihood.

http://www.alternet.org/story/151241/10_scariest_states_to_be_an_atheist?page=0,1

10. arauca Banned Banned

Big deal you lived probably as an invited host , Part of my family are there ,I invited my cousin and he stayed with us for 6 months , He was a party member
    now that we identified our back experience, lets get to the grain about the beautiful system that killed around 10 million people did not want join the koljos ,
    the system who leveled down houses if there was a gathering to pry to Gog . Go on thy to convince me with your knowledge, I am ready.

11. river

This is going to get heavy

12. arauca Banned Banned

Now I start to understand you. You probably went to the USSR to be molded as a party member . And so the Bolsheviks removed the learned people from the pre communist era, and started from scratch , they removed al past history of Russia as it never existed . So what did they produce tell me . The good Russian spirit did not die and the idiots of your mentality collapsed and appropriated of National assets . Now could Russia produce so many billioners in such a short time. Can you explain

13. arauca Banned Banned

I asked you to explain evolution sense pretend to know it , but you don't answer , perhaps you are just a charlatan.

14. Mazulu Banned Banned

But does higher IQ translate into greater happiness? If this is the only life we have to live, then why do we have to worship intellectualism?

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

In other words, you really have no clue what was going on there.

16. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Sorry, I am unable to understand gibberish, could you translate that into English, please? Thanks muchly.

17. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Perhaps, but the term "ignorance is bliss" does have merit.

18. arauca Banned Banned

Because of vanity, I believe a true intellectual will not tray to impress , because he knows its limitation

19. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Yes, I am a charlatan. Wow, are you ever smart.

20. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

21. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

Grow up (Q)

22. Mazulu Banned Banned

What if the "Jerry Springer Show" really represented what happy people look like? OMG! Oh, wait! I bet the people who frequent Psychic Fairs are happy. A psychic reader tells them what they want to hear, and they're happy. And then they make whatever choice is best for them. What about people who get :m:high:m

Are they happy? What about people who are into reading fiction? Romance novels? Science fiction? Are they happy?

What about religious people who worship God faithfully? Who have religious/spiritual experiences? Are they happy? What about people who are into the occult and pagan rituals? Are they happy?

What about people who dedicate their lives to accumulating useless knowledge about "reality", which is mostly a bunch of things that can't be done. Are they happy? They don't sound happy. They sound really pissed off.

23. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Oh no, I've been caught by the forum police, again. I better tow the line or else feel the wrath of Robbittybobbittyboop.