Any chess players anymore?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Xelasnave.1947, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I can see you have posted and although I still have you on ignore I may take you off...
    I probably have been a dick to which you no doubt will agree but I have to decide what is best.
    Alex

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Never played club level.
    I doubt it besides no one I have told tries.
    Alex

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

No.
    Alex

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Extrodinary no way I could do that.
    Alex

8. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Probably because we're not "Gods".

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

My dad taught us chess when I was seven or eight and my brother was two-and-a-half years older. He used cardboard cut-outs too (remember the cardboard that they used to separate the layers in a box of Muffets cereal?). Later on he bought a wooden set but one of the pawns get lost (it's probably still behind the couch) and he whittled a crude replacement (it was always the first one to be captured).

I'm a really bad player but my brother got to be pretty good. He and Dad played every Sunday for thirty-five years until Dad died.

10. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

My dad got tired of me beating him when I was 15 or so, and brought in some Jesuit friends to teach me a lesson. These guys spoke 5 languages, discussed theology and history without ranting, and taught me to really play chess.

My son beats me most of the time now, and I'm proud of it.

11. Schmelzer Valued Senior Member

I have played chess as a child, on the top level of my hometown. But disliked it, because of the teacher, and stopped to play it.

Later I have learned Go, which is a much better game. Easier to learn for children, much more fair (because even professional players give each other handicaps according to their level, so with a fair handicap even beginners can win against a master player.

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

My father taught me chess around age 10. I played with my friends in school, and I became a competent player, but never much more than that.

One of my college buddies taught me to play go when I was around 20, and I found it more interesting and more fun. One of the things I (and many players) appreciate is the handicap system. A casual player can sit across from a professional, and with the proper handicap both can have about the same chance of winning.

It's hard to handicap chess. If you toss one of the pieces away, you're making a considerable change in the game. That doesn't happen in go.

I've got nothing against chess, and I still get a game occasionally, but I like go a lot more.