Any helpful life hacks?

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by wegs, May 2, 2019.

1. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

More a dead hack

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Wear a helmet.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bob-a-builder Registered Senior Member

I still cook everything on my George Foreman grills.

@ Spidergoat,
    As a youngster I learned the trick to having roommates is leasing the entire apartment first in your name and then renting the room to another. Then if it doesn't work out you can suggest they leave. But.. yeah.. roommates can be a bother.

@ Neddy Bate,
    Booster boards would be my choice... I think I'd opt for that but similar to escooters. I have a park/100 mile bike trail beside my home so I like the electric bikes.

@ RainbowSingularity,
    No food or water for 2 days is very easy. I have dry fasted for three and a half days before. I have a friend who went 5 days dry. Some go longer.

The three days without water is a myth. Perhaps that is why you think 2 days no food and water is hard. Our bodies get much hydrogen from our fats and make our own water. Water purer than the driven snow. There are warnings for dry fasting as I mentioned. Toxic shock (toxins are in fats that seemingly "melt") and being low on fluids would not be the best time to injure yourself while driving, etc.

My go to fast is 2 days hard dry (no foods or any drinks/salt okay), Day 3 I re-hydrate (salts necessary), Day 4 and 5 dry hard fasting again.
    No food at all in that five days and water only on day 3.

This is a topic with hundreds of blogs and videos. Choose one more recent though as Autophagy was not known by many 3 years ago (until Nobel Prize 2016 made it more famous). Many stupid grandmothers will still say breakfast is the most important meal of the day... It is in fact; the worst. I suppose you could skip supper if you want breakfast but autophagy will not kick in until at least 12-14 hours without a meal and should be a daily thing if you desire good health.
    (please research if you have any further questions on this.. You could have googled your last comment/question?)

Also.. you only lose 10% muscle to 90% fat when fasting as a rule if overweight. There are other factors involved (hormones, etc). Research.. watch a few dozen videos if youre keen.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Intermittent fasting is a very good thing, to add to any fitness routine.

Bob-a-builder likes this.
  8. exchemist Valued Senior Member

In my last year at uni I rented a house in an Oxfordshire village with 2 other chemists at my college and we used to make a beef and bean stew in a pressure cooker. Shin of beef tender in under an hour. Sensational.

However once we had the idea of venting it while still pressurised, to boil off excess liquid, which we did by removing the weighted needle valve on the top. Result? An unstoppable, volcanic jet of superheated stew, directed at the kitchen ceiling tiles, for about 5 minutes. It took over an hour to clean the greasy stalactites of bean starch off the ceiling.

Turns out when you allow the pressure to drop it creates a sort of foam inside, rather than, as we had supposed, a clean interface between liquid and steam phases. Sort of interesting, in a way, but worth not repeating.

candy likes this.
  9. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

heh, I've not done this (yet) but since this thread is life hacks...

:EDIT:

I'd aim for a little more sophistication, myself.

10. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

wow !

how is your mathematics and dynamic thinking on day 2 ?

11. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

I've fasted like Bob, prepping for medical procedures. Not really as hard as it seems.

12. Bob-a-builder Registered Senior Member

I was being polite and answering in full many questions about fasting. It seems you have doubts how simple dry fasting is even though it is done across the globe (and apparently by some here).

I will answer as I honestly do not expect you or some others here to even know what research is.

Day 2 of a fast is probably not the best for thought efforts as toxins being released usually can cause a headache at that time, but by day 3 your thinking should be vastly superior to day 2. Three days without food and water is barely uncomfortable despite the old wives tale of needing water every three days. Just because your mommy says something does not make it science.

KETONE ENERGY is like rocket fuel for your body. Your body loves the stuff. You can learn this by using things like "reading" and "books". You could start with "Nature(dot)com" (respected scientific journal).

An extreme example would be how a man pretty much doubled the world record for holding his breath underwater from 11 minutes to 22 minutes while running on ketones.

Ketones are real. This is uncontroversial science. You can go into any drug store and by ketone test strips.

Your digestion uses a lot of energy which can be applied to different aspects of your life. It can make you better at mental activities such as MATH (your question). Physical endurance exercise would be hampered because of the quantity of ketones is not sufficient to power a player through a football game or sports, but mental acuity is enhanced.. greatly. in active sports.. you need that spaghetti (carbs) as extra fuel.

"Ketone Ester, Ketosis, and Cognition.Ketones are brain fuel. In early hominids,ketones evolved to cross the blood-brain barrier and sustain physical andcognitiveoutput when food sources, particularly carbohydrates, were limited; in fact, in certain scenarios, up to 80% of brain energy can come fromketones."

"Animal studies also show improved decision-making.5One study on rats timed how long they took to complete a maze. Before changes to their diets, all rats completed the maze with the same time. After diet alterations, rats fed the ketone ester were 38% faster in completing an eight-arm radial maze compared to rates fed a carbohydrate-heavy or standard American diets. Decision-making ability (as measured by the number of correct maze arm choices) was also studied. Before diet changes, all rats made the same number of correct choices. Ketone ester fed rats made more correct decisions before making a mistake, compared to rats fed other diets, which showed no significant performance difference."

In short. Fasting to the point of ketosis will give you a higher IQ. It could make you stop asking questions you could google in quicker time than it takes to type an insulting dismissive posting here.

RainbowSingularity,
    Your last two postings here are both redundant and hijacking a fun thread.
    - You could easily have googled "dry fasting" and learned that it is indeed very easy and commonplace. You barely feel parched after 3 days of no water. Believe it or don't believe it. Stupid is as stupid does. Your opinion will not change science/facts.
    - You could have googled "Fasting/cognitive" or "ketone/cognitive" and found enough reading (if you partake in such activity) to prove this to you.
    Ketone energy is not something found in mythology. It is science. It is known science. YES. YES. YES... It would make your math and overall IQ improve. I suggest it for you.

SUGGESTED READING! (If you do such activity - NOTE: I was overly polite in my Fasting postings until now)
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6286979/

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323345.php

https://www.ruled.me/3-reasons-keto-better-for-brain/

Ketone energy is not the only brain benefits from fasting. Autophagy (look it up if you are literate and understand research) also will remove brain plaque, etc. It may stop your redundant/obtuse commenting

These are topics a person can learn by "reading". "Reading" is actually a thing.

So yes.
    in response to your,
    Very good! You should try it. It might help you learn more and hijack fun threads less. Reality won't vanish just because you don't grasp it.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  13. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Fasting has a two-fold effect, I think. It's good for one's health as part of a fitness routine, but it's also mentally helpful. You realize how much you take for granted, especially when it comes to simple basics like food, water, etc and it brings it all back into perspective for you. You come to realize how little one really needs to survive, and it helps you grow in gratitude. (my opinion)

Some religions are pro-fasting as well, as it empties a person of those things that block their relationship with God. Secular or spiritual, it has benefits.

14. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

I do not eat anything at all from the time I wake until night time. I do this every single day, with very few exceptions, such as holidays, etc. Every day, I always drink at least 60 ounces (1.8 liters) of water throughout the day, easily. At night I have one large meal and then some yogurt or fruit for desert. I don't like sweets, so I have no need for those kinds of things.

I have been weighing myself every day for at least the past 5 years, and I have kept a fairly constant weight. On average, I have lost approximately 2 pounds (1 kg) per year, unintentionally. It just happened gradually, probably because of this lifestyle choice. I do feel healthier at my lighter weight. However, if I keep losing weight at that rate, I might have to change something, lest I get too thin in years to come.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    RainbowSingularity likes this.
  15. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

should i just post my credit card number in this thread ?

16. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

you donate motorcycles ?

17. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

LoL

must be annoying when you fall over your own words
    stating you do drink water while fasting then say you dont
    then have to alter your copy n paste spam posts about keto scamming to try and maintain your possible scam victims attention

but please carry on trying to scam people

18. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Can I use it to buy things on amazon?

19. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

only if it never depreciates

https://www.france24.com/en/20190216-fact-check-does-amazon-pay-no-us-federal-income-tax

life hack
    vote this women in

wegs likes this.
  20. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

As long as you also message me the security number on back card

Just me

21. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

i think semi-Keto diets will become the norm
    however, like all things, some people take them to extremes.
    be those extremes for profit, or extremes for being in with the cool crowd.
    starvation diets excluding things brings on hallucinations and vastly increases susceptibility to psychological manipulation.

the average person works a 40 hour week
    they don't have 3 to 4 days off to do a keto cleanse starvation fast and maintain their safety and cognitive dynamic brain function in the work place.
    selling a hyped up mythological concept of near religious theme is simply scamming people to exploit a weakness.
    exploiting weaknesses is scamming people.
    some is legal, some is illegal.
    ethically... it is seen as an undesirable pathway and practice for many professions.

with the declining collapse of pyramid schemes keto is the next hot product

being sold a dream through a process of starvation to manipulate the impending psychological weakness is not very ethical in psychology or therapy.

there is a stark difference between being an enthusiastic student of intellectual pursuit of human sciences and nutrition and a manipulator for personal gain

thread jacking fun killers ... vs .. science deniers diverting the subject away from the science by attempting to use group bullying tactics ?

hhmm...
    thats a save your pension from being scammed life hack
    thats also a save your life and health hack ... from being scammed by being sold god-awful who-knows-what chemicals in a packet that make you feel out of it and potentially permanently damage your internal organs... WHILE your pension is being quietly scammed or you end up having to spend it all on life saving medical treatment.

22. Bob-a-builder Registered Senior Member

Again. Wow! You have made more dumb comments regarding fasting than I thought possible. I almost assumed you would educate yourself after my last post, especially when a few others here said they also fast.

FIRST: It's science of health. I linked a half dozen articles from nature (a respectable science journal). I linked an article from thje new your times, two videos, and a link to the Nobel Prize website and the Nobel prize wikipedia page with instructions to look at 2016.

If you care to discuss old wives tales then maybe a science forum is not for you.

SECOND: You call this a scam? Do you think there is a person on the planet that profits from you not eating? Who? McDonalds? Farmer Joe?

Autophagy does not start working until you go a minimum of 12-14 hours without food. People who intermittent fast usually try to eat all their meals in a 4-8 hour window. It is not that hard to eat all your meals between 10am -6pm (8 hours). I'm sure there may even be a few million people who do this daily while working.

You said,
    must be annoying when you fall over your own words
    then have to alter your copy n paste spam posts about keto scamming to try and maintain your possible scam victims attention
    but please carry on trying to scam people

Are you partaking in Meth Amphetamines?
    The only person on earth that thinks fasting is a scam is you. No one else. Just you.

What I have said is that the Nobel Prize in Medicine was awarded in 2016 for the topic of autophagy. That means your body starts to heal itself essentially eating wrinkles, fat, bent proteins, etc. To make you healthier.

It takes minimal 12-14 hours for autophagy to even start as a general rule. This can be learned if you know anyone with an internet connection.

I do not care if you eat every hour on the hour. Yet I could not care if you were well or sick.

For anyone that does have illness or simply wants to live longer and be healthier. It has been PROVEN SCIENCE... (those scamming scientists must be out to get you) that autophagy is pretty necessary. I'm not saying you cannot live to the ripe old age of 65 if you partake in 3+ meals per day.. I'm just saying that is not what science suggests is healthy.

From NATURE (Science Journal)
    "

Abstract
    Autophagy is a conserved process that catabolizes intracellular components to maintain energy homeostasis and to protect cells against stress. Autophagy has crucial roles during development and disease, and evidence accumulated over the past decade indicates that autophagy also has a direct role in modulating ageing. In particular, elegant studies using yeasts, worms, flies and mice have demonstrated a broad requirement for autophagy-related genes in the lifespan extension observed in a number of conserved longevity paradigms. Moreover, several new and interesting concepts relevant to autophagy and its role in modulating longevity have emerged.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41580-018-0033-y

Those dang science journals trying to scam you all... the buggers... Next thing they'll be telling you gravity is real.

You also said,

My above articles were informative and its sad you detract from them with your trolling. I cannot believe you actually are as dumb as you seem. Maybe you are.

I have said I do many types of fasting.
    a) Intermittent fasting (IF): I normally eat and drink anything with sugar within an 8 hour period. I will cheat on this on occassions, but generally I maintain this easy schedule.
    b) I have done mono-fruit fasts. This is basically a few grapes per day to give you energy while working. Your body cleanses which you probably think is a myth. Your stupidity if so is almost amusing, except you may convince a grandmother or two with your ignorance.
    c) Wet fasting: In April I ended a fast with just water, tea, electrolytes after 23 days.
    d) Dry fasting: Last week I did a 48 dry fast (no water or tea or any drink). I followed that by a 1 day water fast (water, tea, electrolytes only). I followed that with another 2 days of dry fasting (no water, tea or any drinks).

I can understand your confusion as you seem to get confused easily, but I have not misled anyone. I stated easy methods to scientifically improve your health. If you wish to hang on to your old wives tale that breakfast is necessary and "important", then side with your mommy. It will not affect us.

Your brain will start working faster and clearer once you start fasting. There is no period of cognitive decline at the beginning of a fast. There are some who experience headaches if they have an excess of gunk in their bodies (I'm guessing YOU), but that headache is usually gone fast and is mild.

So when you say,
    the average person works a 40 hour week
    they don't have 3 to 4 days off to do a keto cleanse starvation fast and maintain their safety and cognitive dynamic brain function in the work place.
    selling a hyped up mythological concept of near religious theme is simply scamming people to exploit a weakness.

You are both LITERALLY and FIGURATIVELY full of crap. People can Intermittent fast every day of the year and are eating healthier than those who do not and never suffer any loss of energy. People can also mono-fruit fast and maintain high levels of glucose.

I belong to Water fasting groups where we encourage each other because going without food can be hard on occasions. Many water fast while working. Holidays are best but going into a long weekend someone may start fasting on Friday and then have the weekend for resting.

Dry fasting is easy. I have gone almost 4 days without water and was barely thirsty by the end. You seem to think people need water every three days as is the MYTH! Your body can make its own water and it is purer than distilled. However it is not good for beginners as it could worsen an accident due to low fluids and it releases many toxins quickly as it attacks fat for its water content (autophagy).

Scam means: Dishonest scheme or fraud... Do you seriously think Nature(dot)com is out to get you by placing false information just to get lil old you?

Do you seriously think they awarded the Nobel Prize in Medicine (2016) just to mess with your breakfast routines? I did not INVENT autophagy. I did not discover autophagy.

Do you think this is a scam press release the Nobel Prize officiants are conspiring to get you?
    https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/medicine/2016/press-release/
    https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/medicine/2016/ohsumi/lecture/

Did I place this wikipedia article just to melt your brain? Flattering but I wouldnt go to such a bother for you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshinori_Ohsumi

I already linked Nature(dot)com... If you do not believe Nature.. here is another Journal brief.

This issue of theBiomedical Journalincludes three articles to mark the occasion of the 2016 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, awarded to Japanese cell biologist, Yoshinori Ohsumi, for his work on autophagy. Although at first glance autophagy may appear to be a simple cellular clean up and recycling system in which unnecessary or damaged cytoplasmic components are degraded in lysosomes, it is now known to play important function in many biological processes. These include maintenance of organelle integrity, differentiation, stress responses and as we learn in this issue, even innate and adaptive immunity.
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2319417017300860

Maybe the New York times is just trying to make you look like a complete idiot...

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/04/science/yoshinori-ohsumi-nobel-prize-medicine.html

If you are a Trumpeteer maybe you think NY times is fake news.. If so try Fox...
    https://www.foxnews.com/health/nobel-prize-for-japanese-who-unraveled-cell-recycling-system

So you believe that the entire world is out to get you. Contriving science to make you skip a meal once in a while?

To any who can read and learn.. not you obviously or you wouldnt still be whining about how autophagy and fasting are "scams" a week later without any facts except your mommies words that 3 squares a day are vital.

TO anyone ELSE that can read and learn you must seem like a backward redneck incapable of assimilating information.

From my view you are arguing against easy to grasp science. From my view you might as well be suggesting a toaster does not exist.
    Missing a few brain cells?

23. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

doubling down on your attempted group bully tactics
    i didnt say fasting was a scam
    you made that up as a deliberate lie to hide your own scamming and lying.

lol
    psychological manipulator much ?
    lol

you think your winning by holding up articles by other people about things you dont want to talk about.
    claiming i am making claims against them.
    trying to change the topic LOL !

really ?
    typical borderline personality disorder
    yawn !

sociopath with psychopathic tendencies playing out through a narcissistic personality... LoL !

typical scammer personality type
    your soo use to playing the victim to manipulate others as s a form of bullying it comes naturally to you.
    your very good at it.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019