Any one Believe........

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Mana, Apr 6, 2000.

1. Mana Registered Senior Member

that Atlantis, Og, Lumaria ever existed in the ancent times.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

That's really hard to say. As far as Atlantis goes, it seems every culture has a legend about a place that is now underwater. (Hmmm...folk-memory about the day we crawled out of the sea?) It could also be the greatest science-fiction writing of all time. After all, we're still talking about to this day. I think there's some truth to it, but not in the form of a whole continent suddenly collapsing into the ocean while people scramble for their lives. It was more of a casual thing, with continental drift and changing tides causing the gradual breakup or submerging of a small island. The Bimini Road lends some credibility to this theory.

I am not very familiar with Og and Lemuria, but every time I hear a legend about a lost continent, I wonder about the navigation abilities of ancient man. I think we got around a bit better than the current interpretation of history would have us believe. Transatlantic crossings were very possible, as was proven time and time again by scientists in reed boats navigating with nothing but the stars. Pacific "crossings" were possible along the Bering Strait, a passageway that the Aryans would have had access to (which also is a possible source for all those Native Ameican legends about a white guy with a beard whom the Christians believe was Jesus). Circumnavigation was also possible along the Arctic and Anarctic Circles.

Beyond missing continents, however, I enjoy reading about what people believed lived on distant continents. For example, somewhere between the Occident and the Orient was the rumored land of the Dog People. Across the Atlantic were fantastic stories about giants and bizarre life forms, some of it intelligent, some of it not. Some people believed that there was no life on other continents (sound familiar?). I believe that the concept of "alien" continents parallels directly with the concept of alien worlds and the life thereon. Suppose we go to an alien world and find life there that looks like us, just like our ancestors travelled to alien continents and found life that looked like them?

Would we remember any lessons from the past?

[This message has been edited by Oxygen (edited April 06, 2000).]

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

If it weren't for the amount of stretching the truth undergoes in order to make the Bermuda Triangle mythos true, I would theorize that Atlantis was originally a part of Pangaea; that a society developed by whatever means (natural, EBE, divine intervention); and that Atlantis, being located originally near the mid-Atlantic Rift, collapsed into the ocean under stress of a seismic event, and was eventually buried by seafloor spreading, pushing westward to the present proximity of the Bermuda Triangle.

Too bad it doesn't work, eh?

thanx,
    Tiassa

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

------------------
    The whole business with the fossilized dinosaur eggs was a joke the paleontologists haven't seen yet. (Good Omens, Gaiman & Pratchett)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.