Apocalypse Soon?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Futilitist, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

What do you think of the David Price paper, little kitty?

---Futilitist

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

It looked like it contained words...

A lot!

Did it mention biosynthesis of bacteria to kill off cancer cells while producing antimatter?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

True, but there are pretty pictures too.

No. Are you a troll?

---Futilitist

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

I started reading, but google was more interesting!

http://clearcreek.cksd.wednet.edu/Economics/kinder.htm

PROFOUND!

8. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

Beer w/Straw is a Troll

I was right, you are a troll. Please go away. Thank you.

---Futilitist

9. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Did you read the article?

I was hoping it would produce some good discussion.

~Beer w/Straw

10. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

That's very funny, little kitty. If you are done, please get off this thread. Thank you.

---Futilitist

11. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

OK, I was hoping it would spark some introspection.

I am sorry that this is too tough for your conscious thought patterns.

~Beer w/Straw

12. Balerion Banned Banned

Why is Futilist ignoring Krista Calvin's paper on teaching economics to Kindergarten kids?

What is he so afraid of?

13. billvon Valued Senior Member

He's just refusing to read it because he knows he cannot refute it.

14. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

Another attempt...

This is a thread to talk rationally about the upcoming apocalypse. Here is what I would like to talk about:

http://dieoff.org/page137.htm

This seems pretty convincing, and there is more information if you would follow the link and read the essay. My question for the brave ones is:

How can we possibly avoid collapse?

---Futilitist

EDIT---

Here is more of the David Price paper for people to look at:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  15. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

Beer W/Straw is a pain. Your concerns are very genuine. Now to read the thread sometime.

16. Balerion Banned Banned

Too true. And look at his latest post. Not a single reference to Calvin's paper.

17. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

And yet he foretold your arrival.

What gives?

And I look forward to your comments when you've had the chance to familiarize yourself with the thread. Thank you.

---Futilitist

PS---As of 7:00 PM 1/15/2013 this thread has had 34,653 views. I only wish there was a way to get rid of the trolls.

EDIT---

Here is end of the David Price essay, Energy and Human Evolution:

http://dieoff.org/page137.htm

PPS---As of 11:00 PM 1/15/2013 this thread has had 35,317 views.

PPPS---I'll bet Beer w/Straw hasn't seen this yet. Please don't tell the annoying little kitty...Shhh.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  18. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

If we could harness the power of a black hole...

No wait, if we could build a "spaceship" by putting some badass looking quasars around our solar system. Moving it toward like alpha centauri. We'd be able to mine and colonize that solar system.

Like pirates!

:jawdrop:

Aaargh! There be a lot of resources in that there system!

19. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Good grief! Banking in kindergarten! They might have grown up sane....
    Never mind, most of them will grow up but won't grow old. In the current global system, no political will - i was going to say exists, but that's not true. It exists, it just can't get any power, because the holders of power have all the killing- and propaganda- apparatus. Any number with $ in front and zeroes behind it tends to turn otherwise healthy brain tissue to grey fluff: people, even people in responsible positions, can't seem to think around the money. So, the ones who have most of the money already are rushing around like alcoholics at last call, hoovering up the last dregs of wealth. It won't do them any good, because after the collapse, their gems and pictures and gold-plated toilets won't be worth anything.
    A collapse always makes a big mess and leaves a lot of crow-food scattered about. This one will also leave dead farmlands and oil-slick oceans, burned-out cities and waste - a lot of angry, crazy destruction.
    There is simply no way to prepare for it. If i were young and ambitious, i would probably try to join a co-operative town with its own food and energy production. We should have been going that way for decades. Those big wind farms are a silly alternate energy source: they're too big, far too expensive, tied into an unmaintainable grid - and unpopular. Even the late and feeble efforts that are being made are wrong, because they're based on money-culture, industrialism, large-scale commerce - the past.

Oh, we're getting oil out Alberta now. It's the dirtiest, most destructive source of energy; half the province is already trashed, water low and dwindling, native populations displaced... but our government is committed to tar sands "development", at any price. oil has peaked - even the crappy stuff will be ever-harder and more expensive to come by. But they won't stop, won't change direction. I can think of nothing rational to say about this, except Good night and Good luck.

20. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

...Breaking News...

<<<WE INTERRUPT THIS DISCUSSION OF THEORETICAL APOCALYPSE TO BRING YOU BREAKING NEWS OF THE ACTUAL ONE>>>

The following thread was started by somebody somewhere:

I introduce it here to show how apocalypse is an inherently difficult concept to deal with.

That is one possible interpretation. It is the most palatable explanation the mainstream media could fashion for mass consumption.

I have a different interpretation. I think it is a sign that the economy is about to crash. I was expecting to see things like this about now (hypothesizing). I am expecting to see many more signs very soon.

Here is an update of one of my prior charts:

This chart shows oil, the markets, the dollar, and gold all displayed relative to short term interest rates. The flatlining from the prior chart from December 2012 (see the OP), has now become a noticeable downturn. Since interest rates can no longer effectively be lowered, there is no way to stimulate the economy out of this decline. I think my chart shows the immanent end of economic growth. I believe we are now headed into a recession, and from there into a deep depression, and finally a rapid collapse and die off.

My hypothesis about rock bottom interest rates leading to a recession seems to be consistent with the data since mid july of 2012. We will have to wait a little longer to see if my hypothesis will be confirmed by the onset of a recession soon.

---Futilitist

21. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

I am not young but I am ambitious. In 2009 I decided to leave civilization and attempt to emulate a paleolithic existence. I travelled to the Pacific Northwest and signed up at a wilderness college to learn how to hunt and gather. I'm not talking about survival skills, I'm talking about wilderness living skills. I spent a year learning all sorts of useful things. I know how to build a shelter. I can make a fire. I can fashion a bow and arrows and sort of hunt. I can make various traps and snares. I can skin a bear. I know a little about useful plants and I know a little about dangerous ones, too. I learned how to eat earthworms, bullfrog tadpoles, and garter snakes.

But the most important thing I learned from my wilderness training was that there was no way in hell I was ever going to learn enough to last two weeks in the wild without the benefit of modern technology. To have a decent chance of making it in the wild, you have to be born in the wild. Born into an intact culture that already knows how to live there. All learning is experiential. You can't learn how to live in the wild from a book. Even the most experienced instructor at the wilderness college had a hard time finding enough food to survive when he tested his skills in the forest for a week, taking only a knife with him. He managed to eat a few wild plants and a single small mouse. If he had stayed in the forest, he likely would have died.

Having learned my lesson, I am now back in the "civilized" world, studying psychological mechanisms of denial and Groupthink.

Great comment, BTW, Jeeves. I agree, we are stuck with an apocalypse. Welcome back.

---Futilitist

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

LOL, that's the easy part that just about anyone can do. Its the killing of the bear that's the hard part.

23. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

On learning and unlearning

You got that right. This particular bear was the victim of a hunter's bullet. The bear was able to escape the hunter, only to expire on the road, right in front of the wilderness college. Finder's keepers is the rule of the jungle, and the rule of the locals. At the college we made uses of every part, and every opportunity to learn something.

I had to unlearn some Disney-esque morals. I grew up on The Jungle Book. My first kill was a goose, caught with the aid of a net. I broke it's neck. It effected me deeply. I still dream about that goose. And she was was delicious. My second kill was probably a garter snake. Or a bull frog. I don't remember.

The food I loved best was thimble berries.

---Futilitist

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.