Are all Climate crisis deniers conspiracy theorists?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Quantum Quack, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

What's that opinion got to do with denying climate change? And where has it ever been tried?
    Everyone, or nearly everyone, being dead isn't, either.
    We no longer have the luxury of contemplating any great or good or fair outcomes: we're looking at bad, worse or catastrophic.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Unfortunately the immense gravity of the situation we face is chronically being underestimated by the vast majority. Just another form of denial I guess.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. billvon Valued Senior Member

Everyone being poor as poor is defined in, say, Los Angeles, would be a huge improvement for 95% of the planet. That would be a good outcome. An even better outcome would be to raise that level of poor - even if that meant that the definition of "poor" changed.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Lol
    I don't consider my self as poor, I am merely a stoic, ascetic minimalist.... ( attitude is everything

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

8. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Btw a general question.
    Could Green house gases be responsible in some way for the extremely poor air quality in Delhi being currently reported?
    Like some sort of exagerated inversion layer effect.

9. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Maybe. Doesn't matter. All industrial pollution contributes to climate change, whether it's reciprocal or not. Exporting it to poor countries hides the effects from the immediate beneficiaries - for a little while.

10. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

You know it's burning, right? Withholding federal funds won't teach them to rake the forest better.

11. Schmelzer Valued Senior Member

All this has been already tried many times, by Lenin, Mao, Pol Pot, and others.

But so what? Let's try it yet another time, maybe this time people will learn to like deprivation.

Seattle likes this.
  12. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

And Buddhism succeeds?
    Imagines Schmelzer and Seattle getting around in orange robes with all their hair shaved off... lol

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  13. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Imagine QQ,Ice, Rainbow and Jeaves sitting around in their Worker's Paradise.

14. Schmelzer Valued Senior Member

Not really. This is because they behave in a civilized way, instead of forcing all people to follow their prescriptions like what you prefer.

15. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Eh?

16. Seattle Valued Senior Member

You went all Jimmy Carter on us with your ascetic lifestyle prescription.

17. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

hmm...
    Is Jimmy Cater another one of your talk show hosts?

oh no.. It wont be me forcing anything.... the climate will do all the talking not me...
    if the climate change trends continue you will simply have no choice. None!
    Why you think I am forcing people is really a strange thing to even suggest...

18. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Can't you guys step outside your party line for two minutes, see the real world and think about what's actually happening?
    I may not have any good words, but at least they don't all come from a bumper sticker.

19. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Of course. Almost all times, actually - the best level of inequality is not zero.
    Just keep the inequality from building to damage levels, and keep the opportunity equal Govern well, in other words. Don't let things deteriorate as they have in the US.
    Tell it to the people who have shorted the money and delayed the response.
    We don't have enough money to waste any of it on expensive nukes, any more than we have enough time to bring them on line.
    It's cheaper than nuclear power - even before the risk premiums, and even before any comparable investment in development.
    And quicker to set up.
    Expense. Inefficiency. Risk. Centralization. Lead time.
    But sure, we could do both - with good government. Until then, we should use the limited response resources available as efficiently as possible - which means nothing for nukes, essentially. We are already seriously over-invested in them.
    And the coverups, lying, etc.
    The next ones will also be caused by poor management and/or planning - beginning with the building of nukes when and where and how they should not be built. It's an unforgiving technology.
    I'm going with stupid, rather than dishonest, with this guy.
    But he has powerful representation in the US government - the obstacles to AGW response are not, primarily, economic. They are political.

20. Seattle Valued Senior Member

The obstacles to AGW are political, you are correct finally.

21. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Okay, but what drives the politics?

22. billvon Valued Senior Member

You sound like every right winger I've ever heard who claims that renewables are too expensive, and are a form of rich people's welfare.

The cheapest thing in the short term - and the most expensive in the long term - is to continue to do nothing, citing expense and difficulty.

23. billvon Valued Senior Member

?? So is the Amazon, London and Nashville. Not sure what that has to do with anything.
    Are you answering a different post, perhaps?