Are all soldiers like the Nazis?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by S.A.M., Nov 14, 2009.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Do they just mindlessly follow orders even when they are wrong?

Do they all justify wrong behaviour with ideology?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

When soldiers think, they die.
    When soldiers follow orders, they live.

Everything else is luck.

Men have fought countless wars over centuries and millenia, women sat home. Do you question the morale of the war, woman?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Not the morale no. I question the logic of a bunch of mindless cannon fodder thinking exactly like another bunch of mindless cannon fodder and pretending they all have to do it to stay alive.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superstring01 Moderator

All?

No.

~String

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The ones who are not like the Nazis, are they considered as good soldiers?

9. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Well said Dragon. The OP is ridiculous. I know many military career soldiers and most of them are fine men.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Name one. And tell me what about his career do you admire which is not covered by the OP

11. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

These questions are not worthy of someone with your intelligence. Creating a question that assumes all soldiers are nazi's and then go on to ask if a soldier can be a good soldier without being a nazi is disingenuous not to mention insulting.

Some mod should close this thread.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'd like to see a "good soldier" who did not follow bad orders and justified it with some ideology.

13. Gustav Banned Banned

is lucy being a nazi?

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Is it bad to be a nazi?

15. Gustav Banned Banned

terrible

16. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

I'm not going to give you a name but I will describe one. He has spent most of his life in the British military and is an ex Condor Commando. He spent five years in Afghanistan as a de-miner something that is considered 'humanitarian' work. He also trained locals in Mozambique and Angola in de-mining. So yeah he risks his life to ensure the security of others. Highly commendable. There are others who have risked their lives for 'queen and country' and I also find that commendable. They are highly trained, highly disciplined and most of all I don't know one who wasn't a gentleman.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Was it his choice to de-mine? Or was he following orders? Was he invited to Afghanistan or is he part of the occupation? Whose orders is he following in Afghanistan? The Afghanis or the British? Is he legally in Afghanistan or illegally?

18. Gustav Banned Banned

yup
    picket fences and all back home
    abroad, they drip in the blood of innocent civilians

19. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

You must be confused. Nazi's were not all soldiers. A nazi is a member of adolf hitler's political party. You are just being an asshole.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I was omitting those soldiers who were sent to the camps for not following orders. The bad ones. No I am trying to figure out why institutionalised mindless violence is acceptable. And why apparently rational people take up guns and invade foreign countries to justify their ideologically mindless murders.

21. superstring01 Moderator

There were the Italian Fascist troops. They were probably pretty bad. Ethiopia sure would agree. The Soviet army, crushing Czechoslovakian uprisings, were probably not like Nazis, but maybe still pretty bad. Then there were the Imperial Japanese soldiers who weren't too appreciated in China, Korea, the Philippines and Malaysia. Rumor has it that they weren't Nazis, but were kinda nasty. I wasn't around in Roman times, but there was a lot of scorched earth-type business back then. My guess is that they weren't anything like Nazis, but probably just as bad.

If you're doing a soldier-for-soldier comparison, you'll probably find that most foot soldiers in the Wehrmacht were decent fellows caught up in something far beyond their control or full understanding. Not much has changed for most armies in any nation.

~String

22. Gustav Banned Banned

support and logistics is more like the civilian component of the military
    how can you not support a doctor that tends to the wounded?
    lucy is being disingenuous with her example

23. draqon Banned Banned

if it is institutionalized it is never mindless.