Are all technologies bad until proven otherwise?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Joeman, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

I am having this discussion today with one of my co-worker in my company. He is a digital artist who thinks too much. He said one of the problem with society today is that whenever a technology is discovered, it is deployed as fast as possible. We all considered technologies are good until proven otherwise. He thinks it should be the other way around. All technologies should be considered bad for the society by default until they are proven good. For example he thinks television is bad and is something we can live without. I think he is nuts. What do you think?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Congrats Bartok Fiend Registered Senior Member

Well- TV's may not be bad, but they really don't improve our lives at all. In fact they rather degrade them. We could depend more on our own selves if we were not watching the 27th reurn of 'Booty Call' on TNT.

I don't think technology is 'bad' or 'good'- because they are just ways of doing things, and cannot be subjected to human ethics. When we're pushing technology that does not accomplish something tangible and healthy, we are not hurting society, but rather not exercizing our full potential in benefiting it. For example, skin cream does nothing to prolong life, encourage productivity, or spread real happiness. But is it the downfall of our world? We can handle a lot crap that is degrading only because it is worthless.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. static76 The Man, The Myth, The Legend Registered Senior Member

I agree with Congrats, technology isn't bad or good. It's the applications of technology that are good or bad.

For example, the television can be a great source of entertainment(good), but it can also be used as a way of spreading propaganda(bad).

When you look at things like Nuclear power, gene therapy, and cars, you can see the good and bad.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.