Are humans beautiful or ugly from animal pov?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by temur, Jul 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. temur man of no words Registered Senior Member

Are humans beautiful or ugly from a point of view of animals? Please support your answer.

I think humans are ugly because
    - Humans have no fur or hair so they are essentially naked;
    - Humans go sort of like kenguru but they have too short foot bones and too long and straight legs;
    - The eyes are directly in front of the head;
    - The nose and mouth part is too flat;

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A beholder who is conscious of the world and itself.

What other animals aside humans are conscious?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Which animals?
    As for dogs, I think that as long as you feed them and take care of them, they don't give a rat's ass what you look like.
    As for dangerous animals like lions or crocs, I don't think they give a rat's ass what you look like either, as long as you taste good.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. temur man of no words Registered Senior Member

Just suppose that they are conscious for the sake of this discussion. Pick any animal you like.

8. temur man of no words Registered Senior Member

Just imagine they give rat's ass, and let your imaginations flow.

9. draqon Banned Banned

well if indeed they were conscious. I being a human and viewing other animals see creatures like spiders and crocodiles as being ugly...but in reality all creatures have the same aura of beauty within them. I may prefer dolphins for example for their behavior and looks.

10. temur man of no words Registered Senior Member

Well the question was about what you think animals would think of us, not about what you think of animals.

11. draqon Banned Banned

well I would think animals will think of us just as we think of animals.

So what would an alligator think of me? Am I pretty or not...I dont think so...the alligator would think how good I would be to be part of its meal

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And what would a penguin in Antarctica think of me? Am I pretty or not...I really think he would not care for it at all...I will be some animal who most likely is neutral towards the penguin.

But wait...what would a small bug underneath my shoes think of me while being squashed? ...well it would just lie there dying without thinking was I pretty or not

....oh no you forgot to say what would snake think of me? Am I pretty or not...I don't have the tattoo marks on my skin...I dont swirl like it does...and I surely dont hissss....so would it care for my beauty, would it? IT WOULD NOT CARE AT ALL.

Beauty is something that comes with intelligence of the species.

12. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

Women are beautiful, what are you? an Asexual?!

13. temur man of no words Registered Senior Member

Yeah, but assuming that animals are intelligent...

14. draqon Banned Banned

beauty is something appreciated based on factors such as symmetry, texture, activity of that being (the way it moves). It will vary from specie to specie. My guess is that to species which have rough skin...like alligators...smooth skin would be ugly.

15. temur man of no words Registered Senior Member

My grandparents were farmers and herders so they interacted with lots of animals every minute of their lives. I heard my grandma saying that humans are ugly because they are "naked like a mouse child". I guess she can see humans a bit differently and I was just wondering what it would be like being another animal and look at humans.

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I think birds and fish would find most of us ugly. The ones who have vivid colored hair, tattoos, piercings, mohawks, would be pretty to them.
    The flashier, the prettier.

17. draqon Banned Banned

We can wear feathers, we can have wings, we can fly and be as birds in the cyan sky.

18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

you really need to get out more

19. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

Dolphins.

Small marsupials. Storks.

Owls, gorillas and many other primates

- The nose and mouth part is too flat;[/QUOTE]

Some of the apes, lampreys,

I think you need to be more specific about which animal you think might find us ugly. Animal aesthetics tend to focus on mating activities (and for a few perhaps in the production of artifacts.) I don't think they give a shit about looks in friends, owners, etc. Their aesthetics with these would be much more like ethics than some visually domnated ideal.

20. temur man of no words Registered Senior Member

You have a point. But human skin is much thinner than dolphin's right?
    Storks don't count because their foot bone is long and actually almost a half of the leg.
    Primates don't count because they are almost human.
    Well, lampreys are an extremely ugly animal. We cannot compare humans to them.
    I think horse, cow and other "normal" animals would think humans are strange creatures if not ugly.

21. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

What makes you think that other animals even have a sense of aesthetics at all??? Much of our human sense of "beauty," in nature or artifact, is not instinctive. It is something learned from our elders that has been developed and passed down for generations, and it is not consistent from one culture to the next.

Attractiveness in the opposite sex has a biological basis: being attracted to a partner who does not look a lot like you reduces the incidence of inbreeding, thereby improving the survival rate of the clans' offspring. Other species do not share this survival advantage: gorillas are notorious for the exaggerated features resulting from compulsive inbreeding and we have not yet studied the concomitant effects on the more important parts of their physiology.

The lovely coloration we see in other species is sexuality and camouflage and does not imply that they have an aesthetic sense.

22. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I don't think animals are as vain as us humans.

23. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

What's more attractive, a cow or a tiger? An eagle or a chicken? A cat or a mouse? Predators are generally more attractive than prey. They are more symetrical and balanced. And they move much more gracefully.

As the ultimate predator, of course humans are attractive. Especially Jessica Alba.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.