Are Rules Really Rules? And is There a Duty to Truth Here?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Russ_Watters, Jan 19, 2015.

1. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

these sectors give these types of topics the opportunity to express their thoughts. it signifies for ones who does not know what is accurate/ correct or not, a clear distinction. it helps with that also. anyone who goes to these sectors , only to bash nonscientific thoughts is exposed as to who is really interested in actual discussion or who is just plain argumentative only for a sole purpose of arguing. it makes it clear. it draws a line in the sand. you can iron out issues from that point. standard rules for insults and such, still apply.
    it's a quite simple situation actually.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. billvon Valued Senior Member

?? How would someone "scatter them back" to one of the on-topic forums? If they did that on their own they'd just eventually be banned.

I agree that many people annoyed by cranks go out of their way to seek them out. However, by putting cranks in a "fringe" forum then it is their own fault that they are offended. The forum and the moderators have done their jobs by moving the discussion to the appropriate forum. Beyond that, it is the user's responsibility to choose which forum they read.

Thus someone who is angered by cranks might well still be angered by reading posts in the "fringe" forum. But if he is, it's no one's fault but his own.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I think it would be cool if we could control what appears in our "new posts". It's easy to get sucked into the Fringe stuff otherwise.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

TO answer the question - yes, people can be banned from certain sub-forums now

8. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Can you ban them from Earth?

Beer w/Straw likes this.
  9. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

I can only assume you would like retards ejected into space.

If this happens it should put on youtube.

10. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I would like people who use the work "retard" ejected into space.

11. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

why are you always focused on banning people ?
    you thrive on conflict, you are rash. are you sure you " resigned " ?

12. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

I didn't name anyone; maybe yo should lighten up.

I do more ignoring of certain posters. Without comment, however, would the forum run more rampant with false information given to those who try to learn something? I also tend to find wiki ambiguous with its data. So, in effect, could that be an indication I've given up hope on this forum for actually learning something from?

13. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Balerion did eventually self-destruct and get banned. Though his frustrations certainly didn't all stem from just having "quail-flushing" ventures infrequently interrupted by Mods down in Fringe. A final kamikaze dive during return trips to the kosher science section is sometimes how an eccentric chooses to go out, but apparently a crank-hunter can occasionally all but ask to be banned via behavior, too. Now that members can be technologically exiled from specific sub-forums , a "solution" may finally exist that's more than merely delaying the eventual permanent banning of an eccentric. But there are always individuals on both sides (crank / anti-crank) that have issues with the Mods that can drag them over the edge of the banning abyss. "Suicidal martyrdom" will still occur for other reasons (though hopefully less often).