Are the laws of physics based on magic?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Mazulu, Sep 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mazulu Banned Banned

You don't know where the big bang came from. I am simply positing a hypothesis that makes the soul compatible with nature. Occam's razor doesn't apply because we're not asking for a researc grant.
    Don't get into insults with me. You have no idea how hard I work at my job.

Forget the Turing test. When you can makea machine that acts like C3PO, I'll be impressed.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mazulu Banned Banned

If that were the case, then computers would have consciousness. Computers could make decisions on their own, but they can't.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Notice how the childish mind tosses out an irrelevant remark in some vain attempt to make the other party appear to have a lack of credibility.

So, you positing a hypothesis to show how something that has never been shown to exist is compatible with nature, even though it has never been shown to exist in nature. Hilarious.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

One could argue that we can't make decisions on our own either, unless we are programmed by our culture. Nevertheless, computers aren't yet self-aware. But they can make decisions.

8. Mazulu Banned Banned

Spidergoat, I am amazed that the simplest things are overlooked by academics. What about the simplest human drives for money, sex and power? If there is anything that might prevent free will, it is these basic 3 drives.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

What is the simplest animal with consciousness?

10. Seattle Valued Senior Member

One could argue anything but that would be a silly argument...not being able to make a decision without our culture.

Do you need "our culture" to help you make a decision to eat or to sleep? We know our culture might influence what we like to eat and when we typically have our meals but it's certainly not required for making the decision itself.

11. river

Really , hilarious , a nieve perspective

Biological life is a form of energy as ligitimate and real as in-organic energy is

12. Mazulu Banned Banned

That's a good question. My answer would be ... Q.

The truth is, I don't know how you would measure consciousness.

13. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Time effects material objects. Is IT material too?

14. Mazulu Banned Banned

Why sure MR! I have a gram of time right here! Har har har!!! I'm just kidding, but your point is solid and indisputable.

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

But martyrdom for what cause or purpose? Who's going to deliberately die for the sake of something he knows is untrue? Not to mention, martyrs feel secure because they "know" that their god will be impressed and they'll be transported to a very nice wing of heaven the moment they die. Who's going to sign up for an early death, for a fraudulent cause, if they know that death is truly final?

Sure, I know that some people are simply wired wrong so we can't understand the motivation for their decisions. But the people who have volunteered to die for Jesus, Mohammed, and the more subtle differences between religions are legion. If there are that many crazy people on earth, then why are they all so crazy in the same way? Why aren't thousands of people going to war because they think baseball is better than football, or Fords are better than Chevys, or reggaeton is better than hip-hop, or Coke is better than Pepsi?

Seems to me that it's only the sports that actually generate a bit of that violent competition, and it pales in comparison to the violent competition among earth's religions. How many people are killed in soccer (European football) riots in an entire decade? Three hundred?

Buddhists don't even wait for a confrontation, they just set themselves on fire!

I'm sure that makes your manager happy. But you do not work very hard here. The general level of your posts is far below your chronological age. You write as though you genuinely have no idea what we're talking about, and furthermore, that you're not interested in finding out.

Maybe after having it explained three or four times you finally understand Occam's Razor. But you obviously don't yet understand the Rule of Laplace. This makes you a complete outsider in a scientific discussion, because you simply don't grasp the importance of evidence in various circumstances.

If we have to explain everything to you four times, that doesn't speak well for your aptitude for something as complex as science. You basically can't keep up!

Computers are programmed, but so are we, by the instincts passed down in our DNA and the rest of our biology.

In any case, computers are steadily becoming more autonomous. It's not clear that consciousness is a prerequisite for autonomy.

And as I noted earlier, for all we know "consciousness" may merely be a convenient word we coined because it makes sense from our perspective.

16. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

MR, were you trying to say that "Time (affects) material objects"?
    Really doesn't matter, because time is not material. The passage of time does allow for material things to have an effect on other material things - but is not, in and of itself the affecting agent.
    For instance, oxidation - it does take time for oxidation to occur, as in the rusting of iron - but it is still the oxidation producing the affect, not time.

Mazulu, MR's point was not solid, nor indisputable. It would seem that your choice of acolytes is right on par with your inane ability to "...only pick fights that you can win..."!

Mazulu...you preach...

Mazulu...you fail...

Mazulu...you repeat...

17. Mazulu Banned Banned

So I can't keep up, huh? I'm just not buying what you atheists are selling. I am happy to be a lazy dumb atheist, because I don't think it's anything worth learning. Spiritual happiness is a form of wealth unto itself. Atheist dogma has too little value to me. We are told to "have faith" that science will figure out how to create consciousness, but atheists will play a trick on humanity. Atheists will devalue consciousness, cheapen it, until one of their cheap copies is identical to it.

Atheist play a similar trick on humanity with regard to the big bang and creation of the universe. After all (sarcastic tone) a computer model is the same as the real think, right? Wrong. When you atheists can create a real universe from nothing, then you can expunge God. In the meantime, all you can do is brainwash weak minds.

18. Mazulu Banned Banned

By the way, some parts of reality are still non material, non-physical. No matter how much brain washing or bullying you apply, you cannot change that fact.

19. Mazulu Banned Banned

Given some of these hokey scientific theories like time travel, many worlds and a lattice of identical universes (Michio Kaku), I believe there are Jerry Springer shows with audience members who have better ideas about reality than the scientific community does.

(sarcastic tone) Hey maybe the universe is a holograph! Ya know, like a movie projected onto a movie screen? (sarcasm off) But that idea doesn't go anywhere either because causality is all happening on the screen, not the source of the projection.

This cat should be a cosmologist.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Name one thing that isn't material.

21. Mazulu Banned Banned

Time, wave-functions, physics constants, gravity, space-time continuum, dark matter...

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No, materials change, and we call that time. Without the material, there is no time.

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Wave functions are qualities of material objects at a quantum level. Physical constants are descriptions of how materials act, they are abstractions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.