Are there any Online Bullies on SciForums?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by dumbest man on earth, Jun 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

While reading an article relating to Online Bullies, I came across this snippet written by Aya Hajime :
    " Many forum bullies use the internet as a release mechanism for their real-world anger or frustration. Since they cannot shout at their boss, co-workers, or neighbors without real-world consequences, they take their frustrations out in an anonymous online forum, where there are no real consequences for their anti-social behavior. " - from : https://chataboutyou.com/online-forum-bully
    Might this also be a release mechanism for their real-world anger or frustration toward their boyfriend/girlfriend, husband/wife/significant other or family member?

The Site/Page/Link : https://chataboutyou.com/online-forum-bully , was an interesting read for me and I invite other SciForum Members to Read the Linked content and offer their opinions on the views expressed by Aya Hajime.

And as a related question, do any Members see any evidence of "Online Bullies" here at SciForums?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Yazata Valued Senior Member

Yes. I don't want to call anyone out, but you can probably come up with some of my examples on your own. It isn't just here on Sciforums, I see it on just about every discussion board.

I agree very emphatically with Aya Hajime. Given the anonymity of the internet, many people turn into trolls and battlers online. Meek little people in real life, they are always throwing punches online. There's no downside in people's real life for being as big an asshole as they want to be while hiding behind a screen.

Too many people like that, and online communication devolves into a kind of first-person-shooter video game, where the goal is to blast away as many demons as possible. Reasoned conversation becomes impossible when that happens.

The downside for me is that I find myself liking and trusting people less in real life, after spending time online. Even if people are very nice to me face to face, I wonder what they are hiding beneath the nice facade. So I don't think that the internet has a healthy effect if it promotes anti-social tendencies in people.

I don't like what it's doing to me psychologically, but I'm kind of addicted to it.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    dumbest man on earth likes this.
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the considered, honest and intelligent response, Yazata.

This is the only Forum that I Post on and I must say that I was really surprised when I began to see what was supposedly Intelligent Adults engaging in such behaviour. My abject distatste of it on this Forum has kept me from and will continue to keep me from joining or participating in any other Forum or discussion board as you call them.

My son tells me that it is highly prevalent on faKebook - but I have never had a faKebook account, and never will.

Did you, by any chance read the rest of Aya Hajime's views at the Link ? : https://chataboutyou.com/online-forum-bully

Up until this point, Yazata, from what I have read of your Posts on this Forum, you seem to be quite "normal"(if there is such a state!) compared to too many Menbers of this Forum.

Hang in there...all we can do is Keep On Living The Dream as Best We Can!

Again, thanks for the considered, honest and intelligent response, Yazata.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

You should try other similar fora for comparison.
    I frequent CosmoQuest and Physics Forums, and there is no such bullying, cranking or trolling there, just science.

8. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the info, DaveC426913, but I have already told myself that this is it.
    I only am able to Read/Post on this Forum in "Fits and Starts" due to my Health, tutoring schedules(on hold during this current "crisis!) and my Uncle Sam's seemingly incessant need for "Old School" assistance.

Again, DaveC426913, thanks for the info.

9. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Ahhh yes, I remember seeing you at Cosmoquest. Obviously that forum, along with SFN where I posted for a while, had far less tolerances for the kooks, weirdos, trolls etc that public forums tend to attract. Sometimes putting these nutty distractions in their place, sees speech that could be construed as bullying when in fact it is actually trying to maintain proper standards on a science forum.

10. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Have you ever felt bullied on here, dmoe?

11. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Good question:
    Perhaps an old saying needs to be kept in mind at this time...It goes like this...."People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"

12. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

No, Wegs, I have Not.
    However I have been and continue to be targeted by a few of the children on this Forum who appear to fancy themselves in some sort of Elitist position and seem to take umbrage to any and all that do not bow down to the False Idols they erect.

as an example :
    How about yourself, Wegs?
    Have you ever felt either Targeted or Bullied by any of the seemingly overtly puerile Members of this Forum?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  13. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Like I said dmoe, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones....

14. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

You certainly ain't no bully wegs....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I hate bullies and always believe in giving back what I get.
    Let me relate an incident that once occurred in my busy life. When my Son was about 4 years of age, and we had just purchased the house we still live in today, he got aquainted with another little boy about the same age a couple of houses down...his name was Andrew. Andrew had two older brothers around 11, 12 or early teens. My Son started coming inside after playing, crying. We, myself and the Mrs asked him what was wrong. He said that Andrew had punched him. My wife virtually told him to turn the other cheek so to speak. Anyway this kept happening, and I noticed one day that Andrews two older brothers were actually pushing and goading Andrew to hit my Son. [my Mrs is Fijian and our Son is reasonably dark skinned...not sure if this was the reason] Anyway it continued which made me angrier and angrier. So one day after my Son Villy had come in crying, I grabbed him, pulled him aside and told him next time Andrew hit him, to punch him back as hard as he could, or I would give him [Villy] a good kick up the arse. Anyway the next day it happened. Villy returned the punch with a great uppercut which put Andrew on his arse. Then his parents and us had a discussion...everything turned out rosy, and to this day Andrew and Villy are the best of friends and each were the best man at each others respective weddings. They are now both 39 years old. True story.

15. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Meh...why don't you practice what you preach, paddoboy?

Now, would you Please go and play with the other children?

Adults are trying to have an Honest and Earnest conversation.

16. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Meh...I'm not preaching, simply making an observation with required evidence
    I'm addressing you, am I not?

Yes, I know....perhaps you should take note.

17. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Another incident I became involved in was just prior to Xmas one day...I was down the local 7/11 store, which was being attended by two young Asian lasses and a young Asian boy. Picked up whatever it was I wanted, and stood in line to pay.
    Suddenly in walked 6 young [18,19 20ish] blokes, that immediatley started to trash the place...knocking items off the shelf, tipping over a slurpy machine, while the young attendants started screaming and shouting at them...Anyway they then proceeded to run out of the store, having to go past the four people, including myself, waiting to be served...as the last of them ran by me, something came over me, and I automatically threw my arm up [rugby league stiff arm tackle like] and collared the last bloke fair square around the throat. Down he went like a ton of bricks, with me on top of him. Coppers came, arrested him, interviewed me and 2 weeks later, I get a knock on the door, with this same young hoodlum and his parents, who forced him to apologise to me. I simply told them to take the little arsehole down to the 7/11 and apologise to the staff there, who had been literally traumatised.
    Sometimes it pays to stand up to bullies and pretentious ratbags.

sideshowbob likes this.
  18. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

So...how do ^^these ^^ two self-aggrandizing legendary tales have anything to do with the Thread Topic : "Are there any Online Bullies on SciForums?"

They are simply Off-Topic paddoboy, and at the absolute most have only two things in common with the Thread Topic :
    1.) - Diddly
    and :
    2.) - Squat

So, I plead with you again, paddoboy, would you Please go and play with the other children?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  19. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Sure! Remember, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones?
    I'm addressing you dmoe and they have everything to do with bullies etc...sorry if that offends you.
    Bullies need standing up to, that's it, pure and simple, you agree dmoe?
    Or if you like you can discuss the differences between being mute and being dumb?

20. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

21. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Not very coherent but anyway.....yes, we have on line bullies, as well as online trolls, and online weirdos. In some cases all three are evident with the one poster.
    We have religious bullies also, who forcefully put their unevidenced myth up against factual science like evolution and well held scientific theories like the BB, SR, GR.

Also just as obviously when some of these bullies/weirdos/trolls start claiming validity for their nonsense, then the expected opposition to that and the criticism involved can be wrongly construed as bullying.
    We all know for example the stuff of fat Freddy, and MR, and river....unsupported claims with certainty, after unsupported claims with certainty. That sort of nonsense should be and must be critiqued as firmly as possible.
    yes there are bullies dmoe.

22. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

As I have told you many times, paddoboy :

The " ... "simply means : I have fully read, considered and understand what I quoted, but there is nothing in the quote that merits any response.

23. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

No you have never told me, sorry. And glad you agree anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.