Are you a Republican or a Democrat?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jan Ardena, Feb 28, 2019.

?

What is your current position?

1. I am republican

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I am a democrat

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. I am traditionally a republican

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I am traditionally a democrat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I changed from republican to democrat

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. I changed from democrat to republican

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  7. I don’t involve myself in American politics

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

except for the fact experts on fascism and the people who lived during the rise of fascist regimes have repeatedly told us this is what fascism looks like in the early stages. you were never a centerist democrat you were a racist who followed the dog whistle. i have never met anyone who switched from the democratic part to the republican for anything other than unsavory selfish reasons.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. billvon Valued Senior Member

And better still released on parole, with their parents, until their cases are heard.
    Nope. It's just our responsibility to not separate kids from their parents and then put them in freezing cages where they sometimes end up dead.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Yes, I have millions in the bank, I live in a castle which is maintained by illegal immigrants, and I expect everyone to fall in line behind me. As for those who have survived fascism, some find the loose use of the word in certain political circles to be insulting. But you do have reason to be concerned. We are presently gearing up for war with Iran, which IS concerning since we are nearing an election. Trump might be preparing to give you something worth bitching about.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Why no choice for an independent?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Bill, you're not so simple. Do you believe those people are crossing the border with documentation--birth certificates and such? Do we have a responsibility regarding those children? Perhaps you're suggesting we administer the whole situation on faith. Even I can't re-enter the country without a passport, and that's just returning from Canada or Mexico.

I heard one story regarding the death of a child in our custody. She had been walked through the desert by her guardians and was suffering from severe dehydration when found by the border patrol. Yes, she died in our custody, but I would bet they gave her better care than what she received in the desert.

9. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

He/She would have to be one amazing candidate to bridge the present political divide.

10. billvon Valued Senior Member

?? No. Most of them are not. They're refugees. Why do you ask?
    If we let them go on their way, releasing them with their parents until their cases are heard - then no, we don't have any responsibility.

If we separate them from their families and lock them in freezing cages - you bet we have a responsibility.

Let's put this in a more familiar setting. Let's say you are pulled over for speeding. CPS takes your kid away and locks him up, and doesn't tell you where he is. (You are a criminal, see, and they separated him for the kid's benefit, because they will do a better job than you will.) A week later your child dies from a fever. Were you responsible for their death?
    Nope. I suggest we obey the laws concerning refugees. What's so bad about obeying the law?

11. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

That's one claim. Another is that they are migrants.

They have no legal right to be here. Should we at least ask them for a passport? Also, how do we know those children were with their parents?

IF?

No, let's keep in the same setting, I cross the border illegally with my children--no documentation proving who I am or who the children are. Do you think we might be detained to determine our legal status. Let me ask you. Would you expect our border patrol to just let me continue on while not knowing who I am or whether the children are safe? I mean, if I have already broken the law by entering the country illegally? But maybe if I claim to be a refugee, that somehow gives me a free pass?

They are anticipating over a million "Refugees" crossing the border this year, Bill.

12. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Yes. It's called "civilization".
    The first step is to put them up in decent circumstances while capable officials determine whether they crossed the border illegally. When you and your elected government have taken that step, come back and I'll tell you what the next step is.
    It is really, really bad. And it's your fault.
    Yes.
    Should have thought of that before trashing the local governments and creating that flood of desperate people, maybe. But being too late for that, it sounds like we need competent government agencies taking charge of the situation - so we'll probably have to impeach the current fuckup in charge, eventually, but there are a few stopgap measures we can take meantime.
    Yep. In humane and legally defensible circumstances, of course. Temporarily.
    That hasn't been determined. One step at a time.
    It gives you the status of someone plausibly claiming to be a refugee.
    And that would be determined by due process of law, since the US is a nation with laws.
    That has not been determined, remember? One step at a time.

So far we haven't come anywhere near separating children from their parents and throwing them in cages for months of abuse, or dealing them out to anyone who will take them and losing track of where they went or what was done to them, and so forth. What you and your kind have been doing, in other words, has not been justified.

And since you are doing this evil as a Republican - explicitly, overtly, and with the support of your fellow Republicans - you have established the nature of the Republican Party and the moral, ethical, and legal standing of its membership.

13. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I know. One such person probably exists in the fray, but to get past the republicrat machine that controls so much, seems nearly impossible.

14. iceaura Valued Senior Member

There is no such bridge possible. The bad guys have to be beaten, not "bridged" - they are doing evil, and that needs to be stopped.

cluelusshusbund likes this.
  15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It is legal under US law to claim asylum. But I guess laws only apply to Democrats, huh?

16. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

That would be nearly every politician you can name. I'm not so sure you can beat ambition out of existence.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  17. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

If a million people were to show up and claim asylum, would it be reasonable to be skeptical? Don't get me wrong, the whole world is a shit hole, and America is the greatest country in that shit whole, but can we really accommodate the world? More so when we have our own problems to remedy?

18. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

It's a two-party system, wegs. I agree we need an independent candidate who can unite our country (people), but you won't find that person in the Democratic Party or the Republican Party.

19. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The bothsides line - you swallowed it years ago, and now you can't think for yourself.

Nonsense. There are plenty of decent politicians, and some are easy to name.

None of them are Republican, is your problem. They are all liberals or actual conservatives, instead. All the Republican ones have joined the fascist movement that has taken over the Republican Party - and so they are doing evil, cooperating with criminals and corruption, and representing the scum of the earth as they undermine their governments and abuse the decent people of their communities.

The Republican Party, uniquely and not like any other US Party or political faction, is fascist - has been for decades now. That means it is a shitpile of bigots, fundies, and imbeciles, and it is currently engaged in doing evil and wrecking the US government for the benefit of its wealthy backers. Like its forerunners (the Confederacy, the KKK, etc) it is trying to destroy democratic American governance as described in the Constitution, and replace it with fascist authoritarian rule. Like its forerunners, it cannot be compromised with or cooperated with - if not defeated, straight up beaten, it will succeed.

20. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Dude, we have Americans living and dying on our city streets. I think it's great that your love goes out to those from distant lands, but keep in mind that we still can't care our own.
    I'm encouraging no one to migrate across the border with children in tow. I blame you for that.
    Sounds like you have the answers, may we bus them directly to your doorstep?
    Multiplied by a million.
    multiplied by a million.
    Multiplied by a million.
    Multiplied by a million.
    Multiplied by a million.

Perhaps a big wall might be less strain on us politically, legally and financially?

21. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Really? And you identify politically as a what?

22. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Who's this "we"? Liberals and so forth can care for their own - famous for it.
    Meanwhile: Irrelevant.
    The Republican Party has indeed made a mess of the country, but the solution to that is not to let them make more messes.
    Yep.
    Republican foreign policy in Central and South America has certainly set us up for some big problems. But competent government can handle this one, given a chance.
    Making the mess bigger and stupider and more of an affliction on the US citizenry will not reduce the strain. Shove your wall up your ass, moron.
    So you don't want to pay your bills - why am I not surprised.
    We'll sooner bus them to your doorstop - on the good old American principle that you voted for this shit, you pay for it. Why should decent people have to clean up after Republicans all the time? You are adults, after all. Allegedly.

23. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

It would be irrelevant if the problem was no longer a problem, but I invite you to fix it before compounding our problems with additional liabilities
    The lowest unemployment rate in how many decades? The highest employment rate for blacks, latinos, and women in how many decades? A net producer of oil in how many decades. Darned if I see the mess you are pointing to.
    Two years of a Republican presidency which followed eight years of a Democratic presidency. Who should I suspect the culprit?
    A wall is benign, it just stands in one place. Whereas people carry all kinds of problems wherever they go.
    No, I don't want to pay for your guilt. Nor do I feel obligated to make the world right when we have plenty of problems already within our own borders.
    We didn't send out the invitation, you did.