Are you a Republican or a Democrat?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jan Ardena, Feb 28, 2019.

?

What is your current position?

1. I am republican

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I am a democrat

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. I am traditionally a republican

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I am traditionally a democrat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I changed from republican to democrat

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. I changed from democrat to republican

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  7. I don’t involve myself in American politics

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. billvon Valued Senior Member

Probably not. A lot of Republicans were frankly terrified by the direction the country was going in - women speaking out, minorities getting more and more rights, old white men losing power, America cooperating more on the world stage, science gaining traction over religious controls. The GOP would have taken the same scorched-earth approach to anyone running. Bernie Sanders, for example, would have been labeled an out-of-control murdering communist pedophile. (Which is one reason I laugh every time a republican says "but Hillary illegally kept the awesome Bernie Sanders out of the race, so it's the democrat's fault!")

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Well, maybe next time. There are how many candidates running at the moment, the front runner being an old white man?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

That's news to me, but thanks for the insight.

That seems to be the direction of the Party, which is why I gave up on it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. billvon Valued Senior Member

Thank you for proving my point!

8. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Well, he has the financial backing.

9. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Yeah, many states require you to be a registered member of a party to vote in a primary. So, primaries are not really open elections.

10. Write4U Valued Senior Member

One thing is clear, whoever becomes president is fine as long as we get rid of the current thief in the WH.

That golden bathroom he uses was paid for by the tax payers who had to make up for 1 billion dollars worth of tax evasion.

11. iceaura Valued Senior Member

So?
    You wanted better candidates - you were handed a couple of obvious ways to get them. All you need to do is show up.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Probably. Why would your beliefs not coincide with the facts on immigration if you aren't?

Overall, immigrants are less likely to consume welfare benefits and, when they do, they generally consume a lower dollar value of benefits than native-born Americans. Immigrants who meet the eligibility thresholds of age for the entitlement programs or poverty for the means-tested welfare programs generally have lower use rates and consume a lower dollar value relative to native-born Americans.3

Cato Institute, a libertarian think-tank founded by the right wing Charles Koch

Write4U likes this.
  13. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I think we must also consider that only a few people have all the financial wealth of the nation because they control all the natural resources. If we imposed limits on the amount of wealth that can be accumulated from our national resources which actually belongs to all citizens, then there would be plenty of economic resources to support any immigrants who are willing to work, which for most immigrants is the motive for coming here to begin with.

14. billvon Valued Senior Member

So Bowser, these should make you happy; your policies are being enacted:
    ===================
    Photos show children sleeping on ground at Texas Border Patrol station
    BY ZACK BUDRYK - 05/14/19
    The Hill

Photos obtained by CNN of migrants at a Border Patrol station in McAllen, Texas, show many, including children, sleeping on the ground on rocks or with Mylar blankets.

In one photo, a child sleeps outside on dirt next to a baby bottle full of milk. Others show migrants walking around the facility, which has four temporary tents set up to accommodate an influx of migrants crossing the U.S.-Mexico border, according to the news outlet.

"Nobody, no matter who you are, where you are from should spend an hour like this. This is the United States of America. Not in our country," the source of the photos told the network.
    ===================
    Toddler apprehended at the U.S.-Mexico border dies after weeks in hospital

Maria Sacchetti and Robert Moore
    Wapo

May 15 at 9:22 PM

A 2½-year-old Guatemalan boy apprehended at the U.S.-Mexico border died Tuesday night in El Paso after several weeks in the hospital, according to the Guatemalan Consulate and another person with direct knowledge of the case.

The boy, who was not identified, arrived at the border with his mother days after now-acting homeland security secretary Kevin McAleenanheld a news conference near a crowded holding facility in El Paso on March 27 to warn that a surge of Central Americans was pushing the system to the “breaking point.”

The boy is the fourth migrant child to die since December after being apprehended at the southern border and taken to the hospital. All have been from Guatemala, a Central American nation experiencing severe drought and poverty, and where smugglers have been offering discounted trips to families traveling to the United States.

Paniagua said the boy, who had spent three days in federal custody, appeared to have developed a form of pneumonia, but the death remains under investigation. The El Paso medical examiner’s office and the hospital declined to comment.
    =====================