Are you an introvert or extrovert?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by wegs, Jun 7, 2019.

1. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

soo... some stayed right to the end just for the FREE pop-up-toaster-oven ?
    that's great news

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

can sociopaths fake human foibles as a social ice breaker ?
    probably
    but the emotions would probably be fake.
    hope your finger is not hovering over the "make me a sociopath" buzzer any longer

wegs likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

lol Nope. My fantasy of becoming a sociopath was shortlived. :-}

RainbowSingularity likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

I would, but I'm a 95% "thinking" person. If you ask a question, I answer it as truthfully and accurately as I can.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Variety of handicaps, socially - from wages to "luck".
    Even workplace architecture and organization these days conspires against the introverted - open plan workspaces, focus on "team" participation, etc. It's brutal - damages the productivity, morale, even the health, of the introverted.

Jeeves likes this.
  8. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Are you always dramatic?

9. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Not sure if serious, however... my extroverted behavior today got me all kinds of accolades. Hmm.

Open work spaces have been proven to be counter productive, did you read about that? It’s been a colossal fail in most companies who have tried it out. A few reasons were cited: less productivity, less privacy (lower morale), coworkers interrupting you throughout the day, and an overall sense of inferiority, because others have offices.

Everyone should have an office, imo.
    lol

10. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I love open plan (and I'm an introvert).
    Less privacy doesn't lead to lower morale, in my experience. What it does do is discourage entrenchment.

Open plan encourages communication within teams and departments as well as cross-pollination between other teams and departments.

If I don't want to be distracted or don't want to be interrupted, I put on my headphones.

BTW, in many of the open plan places I've work, the executives don't get offices - they get desks, just like the rest of us. And like the rest of us, if they need privacy for calls or something, there are plenty of planning rooms (for one, for two, for ten, etc.) where they can close the door.

11. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Years ago. Didn't make any difference, they spread all over anyway and are still being built - they are cheaper, so the company just needs to hire those who can adapt the best.

12. iceaura Valued Senior Member

And when you walk into some of those places, everybody's wearing earphones - often noise cancelling ones that aren't even playing anything (because that messes with concentration also). They aren't talking to each other, they aren't "cross pollinating", they aren't even running into each other at the water cooler - they are avoiding each other.

The only people having fun are the guys on the loading dock.

wegs likes this.
  13. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I have a job that I can't really wear headphones, as I'm on the phone with clients 60% of my day, so I prefer a quieter space. (and an office offers me that)

But, if it works for you, that's all that matters. I think I'd just chat with coworkers all day, if I was in an open space.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busi...office-plan-is-backfiring-20180220-story.html

14. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

It's probably on that personality test they make you take, just before you pee in the jar, strip down and run the maze.
    Also, of course, once it's the cutting-edge thing to do, it almost immediately becomes the industry standard.

"cross-pollination"? you can't even open the frickin windows!

Why do I feel a sudden urge to watch the movie Office Space again?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  15. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Maybe some of those places.

I guess I've had the good fortune to work in plenty of places where people act like responsible grownups who know that they're a team and that there's a time for concentration and a time for communication.
    Open plan encourages others to approach you whenever there is something to discuss - the caveat of course being that you have manners and don't literally interrupt someone who's obviously concentrating. You let them know you want to communicate, and they can open their lines of communication at an appropriate time.

16. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

And again, I've had the good fortune (or perhaps foresight) to apply at places where they ask you in interviews what your communication style is, so I can tell them I love open plan because we're a team.

17. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

So, like, they have computers with email?
    Then why can't they have walls with their kids' and pets' pictures tacked up? And maybe a cactus...

18. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Yes. If your primary task is communicating with people outside your office - by phone (as opposed to inside in quiet voices) then an office is appropriate.
    Nothing worse than trying to concentrate when your'e stuck at the desk across form the loud sales guy who's trying to make his pitch.

19. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

How have you completely avoided the standardized interviewing process?

It's pretty common to have a lengthy interview process, drug testing (for workers compensation reasons, not because the company gives a fuck if you're a drug addict), and often times, the MB test.

lol

The characters in the movie were shown sharing a cubicle...three guys to one cube? I'd not like that.

20. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Simple eye-contact, or a post-it note will suffice.
    Either says "When its convenient, I'd like to talk to you."

21. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Luxury. Sharing merely a cubicle?

Ever done Pair Programming? Two people sharing one computer. You take turns, one typing while the other is a backseat driver.

22. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Right. Fashion designers often have open floor plans for their staff. I'm into those reality shows, and I think that would make sense, because you're constantly collaborating.

23. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

What? No. Just no. lol