Argentine terror revisted!

Discussion in 'World Events' started by nico, Sep 7, 2003.

?

Should diplomatic immunity be gone away with?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. nico Banned Banned

The soured relations btwn Argentina and Iran, once close allies has been time and coming with this attack in 1994. Menem was a corrupt president. He may have had some sympathies with the cause because he is Syrian, and he was a muslim before converting. But the question is should Mr. Galeano be tried even though he has diplomatic immunity?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. otheadp Banned Banned

diplomatic immunity is nonsense.
    this reminds me a story when a drunk-driving Russian diplomat in Canada ran over and killed 2 female pedastrians walking their dogs (or was it 1, and severe injuries to the 2nd one?)

the guy was not charged with drunk driving or manslaughter or anything at all. he left to Russia, and under pressure from the Canadian gov't the diplomat was tried in Russia years after the incident. he received 4 or 5 years in prison (according to Russian law this is sufficient time).

also, a US soldier in South Korea accidentally ran over a young schoolgirl but was not charged under Korean law. he was charged, instead, under US Army laws. i don't know whether it was because of this "special immunity" or whatever, but this is ridiculous. it's beyond ridiculous.

diplomatic immunity should not even protect diplomats from parking tickets.
    in NY (UN headquarters) diplomats have emassed debts in the $100,000's figures of unpaid parking tickets. they also dont give a shit about smoking by-laws and other by-laws.

no one is above the law. NO one.... especially when the broken law in question is murder.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Vortexx Skull & Bones Spokesman Registered Senior Member

Agreed, I feel diplomatic immunity is nonsense, I think it is kept alive by the selfish majority in power as an escape hatch in case they have a bad hairday (like traffic accident) They do care more about their selfish motives than caring for the fact that a few others might use immunity for concious criminal/terror activities...

It is lack of integrity.

Exactly for the same reasons I feel it is wrong that the government of the usa does not recognize the international court, apperently someone is having a bad concious and needs an escape hatch just in case....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.