Argumentative Agenda Forums, aka Sci-forums, aka science fiction forums

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Apr 27, 2011.

1. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

Interesting.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Yazata Valued Senior Member

Posting anonymously from behind the safety of a screen doesn't require any balls at all.

(That's one reason the internet is such a bizarre place. Behavior without consequences.)

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Since all post from behind that safety, that factor doesn't make a difference in this case.

Any poster is in the position to post a criticism of other posters; but only some do.

I agree that the internet is a bizzare place, but I disagree the behavior here is without consequences.

Some examples:
    If one is mean here, and this goes unpunished, this can badly backfire on one's character, causing a decline.

There is the very dangerous feeling that one has expertise - even though it's actually just google-search expertise that would be useless in real life and one would be revealed as a phony, and helpless.
    Here, ego-inflation can reign supreme, and this has real-life consequences. After a successful online session, one goes out, thinking, "I can do it!", and then discovers this to be untrue.

Time spent virtually, is still real time spent - and nothing can bring it back, nor the real life opportunities that were missed.

Chi said Ask yourself this, “Do I come here to actually try and learn anything” or “Do I actually come here to teach something” or “Do I actualy come here to benefit others in some way shape or form” maybe the real reason many of you come here is “Because you want to argue about something”. Arguing, whether online or IRL, is arguing, and it has negative effects on one's health.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

This is a good point to remember. Stress kills.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Also, just because there are no immediate consequences to poor behavior online does not mean that there are none to be received.

One person here frequently posts his comments from out the blue on a thread and always starts out with name calling and insult. After a few experiences with this person, I just accept that he has nothing of value to add to any conversation and casually dismiss anything he posts up as insignificant/irrelevant.

On the flip side, another individual here is sort - of over - focused, almost autistic in his pursuit of the facts. While he lacks social acumen, he is very accurate in his points most of the time and presents a good, logical argument. This person I respect.

One should understand this, however: how you act online is how you act in the real world. The person that you portray here is the person that you are, anonymity or no.

8. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

No, I speak for all the voices inside my head.

And they all tell me your claim that this was some sort of test is BS.

If it was a test, then prove it.

9. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

Are you about 15 years old?

10. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

I don't know what's funnier, the fact that he has no sense of humor, or that he's that low.