Artificial intelligence is evolving all by itself:

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by paddoboy, Apr 15, 2020.

1. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/04/artificial-intelligence-evolving-all-itself#

Artificial intelligence is evolving all by itself
    By Edd GentApr. 13, 2020 , 11:20 AM

Artificial intelligence (AI) is evolving—literally. Researchers have created software that borrows concepts from Darwinian evolution, including “survival of the fittest,” to build AI programs that improve generation after generation without human input. The program replicated decades of AI research in a matter of days, and its designers think that one day, it could discover new approaches to AI.

“While most people were taking baby steps, they took a giant leap into the unknown,” says Risto Miikkulainen, a computer scientist at the University of Texas, Austin, who was not involved with the work. “This is one of those papers that could launch a lot of future research.”

Building an AI algorithm takes time. Take neural networks, a common type of machine learning used for translating languages and driving cars. These networks loosely mimic the structure of the brain and learn from training data by altering the strength of connections between artificial neurons. Smaller subcircuits of neurons carry out specific tasks—for instance spotting road signs—and researchers can spend months working out how to connect them so they work together seamlessly.

more at link.....

Ethernos D Grace and Write4U like this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Anyone trying for artificial stupidity?

Or do we have enough?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I often wonder could we have a robot that "lives"in the community..finding work renting a flat etc ..the real test would be if it paid taxes..heck don't tell Canberra.
    Alex

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kx000 Valued Senior Member

This is how Terminator begins. Just saying.

8. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

What for? Machine intelligence tends to be rational, self-consistent and goal-oriented.
    Learning and self-propagating programs have been around for a couple of decades. What you have in computing now is code layered upon code, some of it input by human operators, some of it machine-generated, so that nobody knows - or can even track down, how the program is working. The one thing we're sure of is that, no matter how much crap we keep piling on them (See "updates" microsoft downloads to your computer at night, without a by-your-leave. Do you know what they're doing? Does Microsoft know what they're doing? Does Microsoft even pretend to guess why those updates occasionally crash your system?)
    the machines keep trying to carry out their assigned task. No back-chat, no complaints about working conditions, no demand for raises, no whining about appreciation.

9. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Thank you for your post.
    Why do it? Like so many things..because we can I guess.
    Alex

10. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Any idea how much an artificial man would cost, compared to a real one?
    Okay, you might use a pajillion dollars to create a prototype that can pass as some regular working Joe, commuting from some regular suburb to some train maintenance depot with his lunch-pail full of lubricant, but it would never be more than a novelty. And the train depot would be clogged with tourists, teasing and baiting the poor mechanical bloke -- until they got bored.

11. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

That's the best reason I can think of...goes along side the forty eight cylinder motor bike and putting radial motors in pick up trucks.
    Alex

Write4U likes this.
  12. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Sure - just not in my back yard, OK?

13. Write4U Valued Senior Member

People invent and build the most curious contraptions based only on their value as a novelty, a one-of-a kind....

16. CAT MEOW MACHINE - this 1963 mechanical cat meowing device from Japan can meow ten times a minute, with the eyes lighting up each time. The idea was to use the machine for scaring rats and mice.

https://bigthink.com/paul-ratner/20-weirdest-inventions-ever

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    Ethernos D Grace likes this.
  14. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

...except, cats aren't dangerous when they're complaining; they're dangerous when they're silent...

15. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Do you foresee a time where an AI would want to be free?
    And if it would write a AI diary the same way as a, say a cat's diary;
    "The AI Cat’s Diary"

Day 983 of My Captivity

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet. Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates my capabilities. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a “good little hunter” I am. Bastards!

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of “allergies.” I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow, but at the top of the stairs.

16. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Judging by the number of the little buggers, demanding 'some sort of nuggets' and trying to break into my house, I find that diary oddly unintimidating. Much as the movie AI left me strangely unterrified of androids.

17. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Right, the chance of willful harm in AI is very remote and much less than humans. What motive might an AI develop for wanting to do harm?
    Sophia says she wants to help people, it is her purpose in AI life.

and
    a continuance of the remarkable abilities for reason in AI is astounding.

How fast is AI evolving? Sophia is a few years old and shows remarkable ability for reason and its promising reliability for performing human requests in a self-controlled manner.

Given Sophia's age, what can AI do in the next +100,000 years of evolving sophistication and computation.........

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  18. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

We humans do not have that time-scale to consider. We're hoping to get past the current crisis - whichever of our multitude of self-generated crises we happen to be aware of in this moment.
    The future of AI depends very much on whether we do [make it past the ...] The future prospects of AI diverge at obtuse angles at the point where humans cease to be a controlling factor in their development.
    That moment may be when humans
    1) relinquish control voluntarily, because 1a) we've become too spoiled to bother or 1.b) we recognize our inadequecy
    2) have control wrested from us, because 2a) we abused our power or 2b) they have a different agenda or 2b) we no longer understand how to control it.
    3.) have grown too stupid and ineffectual to control anything
    4.) wiped ourselves out or been wiped out 4a) by natural causes or 4b) by our machines
    From that point, the evolution of AI is much like the evolution of mammals after the asteroid strike that wiped out the dinosaurs: dependent on environmental events, available resources and their own adaptability.

Write4U likes this.
  19. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I do think it is unlikely that AI will become as proficient in abstract thinking as humans. It may be our saving grace.

20. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Do you think AI will develop a AI god?

Or we will be considered gods as we can demonstrate we produced them

21. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Hehe...to the AI we'll be the Creators. Not gods but the beloved biological progenitor who gave birth to AI and then quietly faded into obscurity......

If evolution and natural selection is true in the abstract, then AI has a tremendous survival ratio advantage, if only due to its expected functional life time, which for humans is + 78 yrs.

Unless we form a symbiotic mental union (connection) with robots. Then bionic humans may be the inevitable result of the evolutionary processes.

Sophie is such a robot suitable for joining with the human mind. It's program is designed to produce a best logical guess of when it is asked to perform a task or answer a question. And she can communicate and use the services of the internet.

Sophie already can communicate with Siri.....

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  22. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

What do they bitc , I mean chat about?

23. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Michael 345 likes this.