Asguard's censorship

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Lord Hillyer, Feb 21, 2008.

1. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Ummmm I must take responsibility for his Avatar. We had a contest a while back and I found him that one to replace his old Yoda one. He liked it so much he used it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Notes around

I find this an interesting counterpoint to how much people complain about the moderation. On the one hand, people get upset when we take action regarding the extreme and inflammatory, yet people complain about ... well, this?

It's almost like people can't tell the difference.

My suggestion, in general, is that if people can't tell the difference, the easiest thing to do would be to turn off the avatars and give you all preset user titles. Because if we're going to be hearing this sort of Puritan complaint in conjunction with complaints about why moderators take action against persistent violative behavior, we should just eliminate the conflict, so as to not confuse people.

• • •​

And "Kiss my dark side", I think, was my suggestion. I could be wrong, but for some reason I remember a conversation about it. And, here's the bonus ... I think it was one of our conversations in the faculty lounge.

• • •​

As a general consideration, would I be correct to understand that people think when moderators repeatedly warn someone about certain behavior, and that member continues—even escalates—said behavior, we should do nothing?

Maybe we should reward them?

Anyone? Anyone?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Everyone did.

Asguard shouldn't be banned for his avatar, and to be honest I don't think he would be capable of producing an insult that was ban worthy.
    However, the fact he is a moderator is an insult to everyone here, a real slap across the face, followed by an obnoxious point and laugh, and a provocative "what are you gonna do about it?!!".

He should be gently and courteously stripped of his moderator position, and whoever made him a moderator should be banned for insulting all members.
    7 days per member should do it.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ripley Valued Senior Member

Geeze. Talk about attempting to change a topic from Assguard's Censorship to On guard Censorship! Had Tiassa quoted an earlier post prior to the admittance in this thread that the title had been corrected but only after Sandy's already minor faux pas, then perhaps his censure would have had a more significant impact...

Anyway, which moderator corrected the title without telling Plazma about it? —Otherwise Plazma would have understood where Sandy's minor faux pas came from.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You have no cause to say such things about Obama.

9. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Work it out.

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Beside the point

Actually, Ripley, it's beside the point. The ban was executed at my request.

12. Ripley Valued Senior Member

So, had the title been Level-headed Asguard's Censorship, and Sandy subscribed to it by beginning her post with Level-headed Asguard, she would have been commended for it?

13. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

i think it wasn't because of just this that sandy was banned sandy does troll and insult people oftan so i think this was just the final straw

14. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

What the hell are you going on about?

Here, try this part again, since you ducked it the first time:

As a general consideration, would I be correct to understand that people think when moderators repeatedly warn someone about certain behavior, and that member continues—even escalates—said behavior, we should do nothing?

Maybe we should reward them?​

At any rate, Ripley, give it some thought.

15. Gustav Banned Banned

true or false?

16. Gustav Banned Banned

obama is gonna be the next prez

true or false?

17. Gustav Banned Banned

hillyer!

you pretentious peasant
    here is the word of the day...

....mandingo

18. Ripley Valued Senior Member

I don't know; I thought I was onto something (thus finally posting a bit more than I have). Onto something like:

So Sandy has been using Ass to describe Asguard repeatedly?

Well, one way or another, a grievance against any moderator will still hold regardless of the usage or not of a name-calling. The only difference really is that one of the two approaches spices up one's grievance and puts everyone else at ease, while the other approach is too much like lecturing and gets on everyone's nerves—like, what I'm doing now. Yet, the irony of it: I won't get banned for it. Lol.

I think I've had enough of this one already.

So. Where's the next spicy grievance to enjoy??

19. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I agree. All threads critical of Obama should not be lumped into one. He may just be the next president of the US, we really should be free to discuss him and not lump all anti-Obama threads into one.

The thread in question was a hilarious clip of an Obama supporter who, when asked, couldn't name a single legislative accomplishment of Obama! Not only was the clip very amusing, it highlighted a significant point about the Obama campaign. It deserved it's own thread and shouldn't have been buried in a giant "Sandy's I hate Obama" thread.

20. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

yes it should have because a it was bs i am sure you could find shit like that for every candidate. and since all the threads were basically the same they should have been lumped together

21. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Sadly, 'tis true that good faith is not among the obligations of participating in this community.

22. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

I think that if Asguard wants to lump all ``I hate Obama'' threads in to one, he should also lump all ``I hate George W. Bush'' threads into one as well.

This could seriously streamline the way things are done around here.

Perhaps I can lump all ``Newton's Laws'' threads into one as well...

23. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

How am I supposed to respect a moderator who has such an avatar and such a title as Asguard does? How am I supposed to take him seriously?

A moderator should be a person who inspires respect, who is decent and reasonable. An avatar and title like Asguard has, do not speak for that.