Asperger's Syndrome

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Futilitist, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

I am guessing that this non sequitur is meant as an ad hominem.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

So, you are saying that savants are special, and can do some amazing things. They are, unfortunately, more severe on the autistic spectrum, i.e. less high functioning. Savants are clearly different than high functioning autistics.

Higher functioning autistics, and people with Asperger's syndrome, can clearly do better than less high functioning savants, at least in the virtual world, as you point out in your next quotation:

You go on to say:

So, here you point out that I am the exception to the rule that high functioning Asperger's autistics can handle internet social interactions well. If I am to be the exception to this rule, you are clearly saying that you view me as high functioning. Thanks. But then, in your very next sentence you seem to contradict yourself and say that I am not so high functioning:

You seem to be a bit confused by your observations. The data is inconclusive. It doesn't fit your mental model of the situation.

Perhaps you were just trying to make a joke. Unfortunately, your attempt at humor fails because it does not fit the form, or the science. But it creates opportunity.

Let's summarize, shall we?

1. Low functioning true savants can do some amazing things. But they are severely handicapped socially.
    2. Higher functioning autistics and Aspies often do better socially in internet discussion forums.
    3. Higher functioning Futilitist fails at internet discussion forums.
    4. Perhaps Futilitist is low functioning.

So, true savants are low functioning. And Futilitist is also low functioning, yet he seems to have some high functioning traits.

Have you even stopped to consider the possibility that Futilitist may be a savant?

How else do you explain the fact that I keep winning the debate with you?

---Futilitist

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

duplicate post

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

duplicate post

8. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

duplicate post

9. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

Who the hell is that Futilitist guy?

But the author of the quote does seem to be an expert on being Autistic. I would contend that his condition makes him more than qualified to make objective observations of "a large number of Asperger individuals and/or autistic individuals", as well as a large number of neurotypicals.

I would submit that it has not, in fact, been established that the quote author was, in fact, Futilitist. Loren Soman, the actual author of the quote in question, has, in fact, been dead since 2010!

Therefore, your subsequent conclusions should be seen to have no merit whatsoever.

Confused?

---Futilitist

10. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

Who the hell is that Futilitist guy?

But the author of the quote does seem to be an expert on being Autistic. I would contend that his condition makes him more than qualified to make objective observations of "a large number of Asperger individuals and/or autistic individuals", as well as a large number of neurotypicals.

I would submit that it has not, in fact, been established that the quote author was, in fact, Futilitist. Loren Soman, the actual author of the quote in question, has, in fact, been dead since 2010!

Therefore, your subsequent conclusions should be seen to have no merit whatsoever.

Confused?

---Futilitist

11. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

Darn it…foiled again! Obviously, I am a bad judge of character.

Hang em' high.

12. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

There is no "and (yet)" between 3 & 4. Either you are high-functioning but ill-equipped for even online social constructs, or you are low-functioning. Neither necessitate or imply savant syndrome, as there are many more low-functioning autistics than there are savants. So the odds are against you.

No to the first, and delusion to the second.

Actually, those who suffer from the syndrome are the least likely to be objective about it.

13. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

A fair question since you quote LS without citing an impersonal source like a movie, article or book for the quote which nowhere appears on Google before being posted on this forum by you.
    The only attempt to answer the question.

Non sequitur. The author of the quote is Loren Soman, and even if he is autistic his life experiences would not qualify him as an expert on the population of autistics, just as a particular black Canadian influenza patient would neither be not qualified to speak for all black individuals or all Canadians or all influenza patients.
    You have yet to make that case.

What is your connection with Loren Soman that you alone know this? What documentation is there?
    Here is a resume posted in May, 2011: http://www.creativehotlist.com/Individuals/details/173897
    And this September 2012 post has the byline "Off the Keyboard of Futilitist Loren Soman": http://www.doomsteaddiner.org/blog/2012/09/02/the-tempest-in-the-oil-drum/

Your unsupported allegations aside, my case is still open, counselor.

Perhaps the character being judged is just bad?

14. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

Giving someone the benefit of the doubt, e.g. RC, never seems to pan out, does it?

Unlike golfers, who tend to lie about their handicap, aspies normally have a lying handicap. Usually, they’re pathological truth-tellers. IOW, something is rotten in Denmark.

15. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

Why would you both try to defend quoting yourself by posting:
    He also liked to quote himself and often referred to himself from a third-person perspective. -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Asperger

And seemingly claiming you did no such thing:

Perhaps suffering from DID as well.

16. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

That is a very neurotypical thing to say. Aspies tend to be objective and truthful, and also highly accurate, at least with respect to observing the behavior of others. As Trooper correctly notes:

Jesus is a mythical example of the quintessential Asperger's autistic. He earnestly claimed that the truth could set one free. His extreme level of truth telling was clearly pathological in his case, since it led directly to his death.

---Futilitist?

17. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

That does not change the natural, not just neurotypical, tendency of all humans to display bias toward things in which they have a invested interest. Science is objective because it employs a methodology that necessarily includes the confirmation of others, not because any one person is entirely objective.

Seeing as aspie honesty is completely anecdotal, unless someone can provide a study done on the subject, anecdotal evidence is all that is necessary to refute it:
    Aspies can tell lies - it's just that lies don't come naturally to us. We tend to be truthful, even when the truth hurts - and we expect** others to be truthful to us. -http://life-with-aspergers.blogspot.com/2009/12/how-brutal-honesty-about-future-affects.html

The only readily discernible difference between AS and NT honesty is the degree of bluntness, which is to be more expected of the poorly socialized. There is no moral superiority evinced.

18. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

Oh, how I hate it when Syne is right. Let me count the times. One...ya, just one.

“The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome” by Anthony Attwood, notes that young children with AS are remarkable honest but eventually understand the value of deception. However, the type of deception can be immature and easily identified. He also says that the adults may not realize that the other person is likely to be more offended by the lie than any apparent misdemeanor.

http://www.theoilage.com/introductions-futilitist-t7687.html

So, are you lying? Did you quote yourself or not? Is there a real Loren Soman, and if so, is he dead, or not?

19. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

First I get the benefit of the doubt, and now I get a rush to judgement. Try not to have such a hair trigger. It makes you seem less genuine.

Also, is the RC you are referring to a banned former poster called RealityCheck? I have heard of him. KilljoyKlown once mentioned him in passing to me. Banned former member NeverFly is convinced that I am him, or at least he pretends to be. I hope you don't actually think that as well. If you actually do, I can assure you that you are incorrect. I am having enough problems of my own as Futilitist. I don't need someone else's problems rolled into mine. If you are pretending that you believe this to try and get me banned on false charges, that is a pretty clever trick. I am not accusing you of this, I am just trying to see all the possibilities. Remember, I am the new guy here, and I don't have enough info to go on. On top of that, I am an Aspie, so try not to take offense. Trust is a difficult thing on the internet.

On RealityCheck's profile he only lists two friends:

I really don't know the story behind RealtyCheck, but he seems to be infamous. He was a friend of yours. What did he do?

And dude, Syne is never right! So much for my benefit of the doubt.

---Futilitist

20. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Perhaps you could answer me.

Is this an asnwer to me without answering to me?

21. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the reference, Trooper.

Children with Asperger’s syndrome are usually brutally honest and speak their mind.
    Their allegiance is to the truth, not people’s feelings. They may have to learn not to tell
    the truth all the time. While honesty is a virtue, peers at this stage are starting to tell
    white lies so as not to hurt friends’ feelings, or to express solidarity and allegiance to
    friendship by not informing an adult of the misbehaviour of a friend. Such behaviour
    may appear immoral and illogical for a child with Asperger’s syndrome, who is willing
    to informthe teacher ‘who did it’ and that a friend has made a stupid mistake. This is not
    a recommended way to make or keep friends.
    -“The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome” by Anthony Attwood​

This confirms that the honesty of an aspie, compared to a neurotypical, is only a result of their lack of empathy, and that they are the only ones likely to see their behavior as morally superior.

22. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

Futilitist's behavior, when combined with his earlier post:
    and his ad hominem attacks on the neurotypical:
    strongly suggest that he has nothing to contribute to this forum except for trolling and therefore I shall treat him as if he were banned by Moderation.

23. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

"Never" is a strong word, and just more evidence that you are operating under a bias. Do you care to refute the reference Trooper provided, and I quoted above?

There is some similarity in your behavior and that of banned member RC, although I would not claim you one and the same. Both seem to make any topic about them or their agenda, whether on-topic or not. Both like to bellyache about how others have supposedly made such topics personal. Both seem incapable of supporting their own arguments, shifting the burden of proof, and other typical hack behavior. Both like to "perform experiments" as an excuse for dishonesty and violations of forum rules.