Astrological Twist on Narcissism

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by KilljoyKlown, Apr 4, 2011.

1. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

For those of you that have known a narcissist and have followed astrological forecasts as entertainment, I have a question.

Which sign personifies a narcissist personality and then lives up it in real life for a high percentage of those born of that sign? I would like everybody interested in this topic to pick the sign and then add a few comments to back up your claim.

I've personally known 5 Scorpio's that meet most of the narcissistic descriptions below. I found that description doing a search on Scorpio, but if you search on narcissist, you will find very similar descriptions. Of those 5, four were female.
    =================================================

Scorpios are the most intense, profound, powerful characters in the zodiac. Even when they appear self-controlled and calm there is a seething intensity of emotional energy under the placid exterior. They are like the volcano not far under the surface of a calm sea, it may burst into eruption at any moment. But those of us who are particularly perceptive will be aware of the harnessed aggression, the immense forcefulness, magnetic intensity, and often strangely hypnotic personality under the tranquil, but watchful composure of Scorpio. In conventional social gatherings they are pleasant to be with, thoughtful in conversation, dignified, and reserved, yet affable and courteous; they sometimes possess penetrating eyes which make their shyer companions feel naked and defenseless before them.

In their everyday behavior they give the appearance of being withdrawn from the center of activity, yet those who know them will recognize the watchfulness that is part of their character. They need great self-discipline, because they are able to recognize the qualities in themselves that make them different from other humans, and to know their utterly conventional natures can be used for great good, or great evil. Their tenacity and willpower are immense, their depth of character and passionate conviction overwhelming, yet they are deeply sensitive and easily moved by their emotions. Their sensitivity, together with a propensity for extreme likes and dislikes make them easily hurt, quick to detect insult or injury to themselves (often when none is intended) and easily aroused to ferocious anger. This may express itself in such destructive speech or action that they make lifelong enemies by their outspokenness, for they find it difficult not to be overly critical of anything or anyone to whom they take a dislike.

They can harness their abundant energy constructively, tempering their self-confidence with shrewdness and their ambition with magnanimity toward others provided they like them. They relate to fellow workers only as leaders and can be blunt to those they dislike to the point of cruelty. In fact they are not above expressing vindictiveness in deliberate cruelty. They are too demanding, too unforgiving of faults in others, perhaps because they are not aware of the shortcomings within themselves, and extravagantly express their self-disgust in unreasonable resentment against their fellows. They do, however, make excellent friends, provided that their companions do nothing to impugn the honor of which Scorpios are very jealous. Part of the negative side of the Scorpio nature is a tendency to discard friends once they cease to be useful, but the decent native is aware of, and fights this tendency.

They are fortunate in that their strong reasoning powers are tempered with imagination and intuition, and these gifts, together with critical perception and analytical capacity, can enable the Scorpions to penetrate to profundities beyond the average. They have a better chance of becoming geniuses than the natives of any other sign.But charismatic "twice-born" characters such as they can sink into the extremes of depravity if they take the wrong path, and the intensity of their nature exaggerates their harmful tendencies into vices far greater than the normal.

Rebelliousness against all conventions, political extremism to the point where hatred of the Establishment makes them utterly unscrupulous terrorists. Brooding resentment, aggressive and sadistic brutality, total arrogance, morbid jealousy, extreme volatility of temperament, these are some of their vices. At the other extreme is the procrastinator, the man or woman who is capable of so much that they do nothing and become indolent and self-indulgent, requiring extravagant praise and flattery from those whom they make their cronies.

Being so gifted, they can find fulfillment in many employments. Their inner intensity can result in the ice-cold self-control and detachment of the surgeon, the concentration of the research scientist, and the heroism of the soldier. Any profession in which analysis, investigation, research, dealing with practicalities, and the solving of mysteries are relevant, can appeal to them. So police and detective work, espionage and counterespionage, the law, physics or psychology may attract them, and they can become masters of the written and spoken word. They may be most persuasive orators and find fulfillment as diplomats or preachers and, if they make the Church their profession, their inner intensity can express itself in the spiritual fervor of the mystic or the thaumaturgy.

Scorpio is the symbol of sex and Scorpios are passionate lovers, the most sensually energetic of all the signs. For them, union with the beloved is a sacrament, an "outward and visible sign of an inward and spiritual grace.". Their overriding urge in loving is to use their power to penetrate beyond themselves and to lose themselves sexually in their partners in an almost mystical ecstasy, thus discovering the meaning of that union which is greater than individuality, and is a marriage of the spirit as well as of flesh. They are thus capable of the greatest heights of passionate transport, but debauchery and perversion are always dangers, and Scorpios can become sadistic monsters of sensuality and eroticism. Their feelings are so intense that even when their love is of the highest, and most idealistic kind, they are nevertheless frequently protagonists in tragic, even violent romances, "star-crossed lovers".

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. birch Valued Senior Member

are you serious?

the most selfish and narcissistic person i've known is a cancer and that still doesn't mean all those who fall under that sign or month are like that.

maybe it has nothing to do with astrology but perhaps something to do with genetics and/or type of nurturing? hello?

for instance, try to guess what my sign is or other members here. try to even guess what sign their full astrological profile is made of too.

i bet you that you'll get it wrong more than right.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Coincidence, maybe, but that's why I want to hear from others. Did you read the Scorpio description? A narcissistic description doesn't get much better than that. Maybe those that grow up as that sign, think that type of behavior is okay and even expected and something they can relate to and even take pride in, and the less empathy they have for others the more they will act out and grow into the part.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. birch Valued Senior Member

actually it's not a very good description of a narcissist since their personalities differ.

and if someone reads their astrology stereotypes and tries to live up to it, then that's on them.

8. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Yes it is, but every narcissist I've known has had their own personality. They are still individuals, but have some characteristic behaviors that allow us to classify them as narcissistic.

Is there a dividing line that separates a narcissist from a non narcissistic personality? If so, is it open to interpretation so that a border line personality can be classed either way depending on who is making the diagnosis?

9. birch Valued Senior Member

what?? you start off with astrology to determine a disorder?

evidently you don't know because in the sociopath thread, it took multiple examples for you to even concede that not all sociopaths fit into the experience you had with the druggies etc. actually that is kind of narcissistic. not only that but you mixed up people with other disorders.

did you even find out how many people with that disorder are of a certain astrological sign?? you must make a random topic without even bothering to look up any information?

they did conduct a loose statistical study of these signs of prison inmates but it doesn't line up with your narrow point of view on this subject.

10. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Actually that's not what I did at all, but then you only see what you want to see and then jump to conclusions based on your faulty assumptions.

Once again you missed the point I was trying to make and kept providing examples that were off base to what I was looking for. It was as if you weren't really reading what I wrote, but jumping to conclusions based on what you thought I was saying and then responding to that. I tried many times to get you to understand me and finally gave it up as a lost cause.

Yes I did do that, not sure I could even find that particular stat. I was talking about my personal experience and was asking for other personal experiences. Sometimes that type of information can be very interesting and can lead to some very informative sub-threads.

It's obvious you are not going to get into the spirit of this topic, yes it's expressing a narrow point of view. One I wouldn't post to a more serious sub-forum. Do you ever bother to take that into consideration, before you start jumping to conclusions?

I'm not the only one you've done that to. I've watched you do that to others and when they complain about it, it seems to just go over your head. Having said that I think you are very knowledgeable on this subject and I appreciate your comments, except when they go off key. In any forum everyone brings something to the table and it's up to the interested responders to make the information worth while and interesting. Part of the reason why people spend time on the forum is for the entertainment value it provides and if they learn something new so much the better.

11. wellwisher Banned Banned

12. SomethingClever Registered Senior Member

my father is a Scorpio, and VERY accurately fits what you wrote!
    It sounds crazy, but I'm starting to really believe in this stuff :shrug:

or... :m:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

also, I am a gemini, and I have found many striking similarities with other gemini (for instance, I know two others with my birthday, June 20th, and all 3 of us are, avoiding modesty, incredible athletes)

And the person I most relate to, Steve, is also a Gemini. Eventually the coincidences start to add up... my faith is growing by the second.....

13. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

When you see a few examples that appear very accurate, it's easy to start thinking those kind of thoughts. That's why astrology is so popular, with a lot of believers. But if you start following more than one forecaster, you will find they often offer very different advice, and if you study and analyze what is actually said you will come to understand they offer something for everybody. They've been doing this for a lot of years now and you can bet they have tested their words on many thousands of people and know what works for the highest number of people.

What happens is most people see it as something fun to do, but as you read the daily forecast you tend to not see or focus on things that don't interest you and pay attention to those things you are looking for. Now if you read everyday and see 4 or 5 that really hit the spot every month, usually about someone you are in or want to be in a relationship with, those are the ones you are going to save and focus on and remember and all those that don't hit the spot won't be remembered or talked about. So after several months to a year or more, your 4 or 5 hits per month will have you thinking about about how accurate they are and hopefully from the businesses point of view sucking money out of you.

I say it's okay to have fun with it, but if you start paying someone for forecasts or readings about your future, you've gone to far with it.

14. SomethingClever Registered Senior Member

hmmm.... or maybe you haven't gone far enough?

I know what you mean though-- My daily horoscopes often "hit the spot", but they are somewhat general and would apply to a lot of people...

Though I must say, I know 3 people born on November 14th, and all have similar personalities... eerily similar..

I also know 3 people born on June 20th, and all are great athletes.

Lastly, my best friend, his own mother, and my grandmother are all three born on February 27th---- and all three of them are great musicians... coincidence? maybe-- but I like to think it's something more... why not??

and if that wasn't enough, the person I am named after was born on the winter solstice.... guess what day I was born? that's right, the summer solstice--

I'm just sayin :shrug:

15. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

That is somewhat unusual, but again those are the exact kind of things that would stick out in your mind and make it easy for you to make associations to what you are looking for in astrological forecasts.

For me, I knew this woman who was every mans worst nightmare. She was small petite very good looking and ruined every mans life she got close to. She was always pointing out how close the Scorpio description matched her. So I got interested and started keeping track myself, and every time I ran into somebody that was exhibiting those personality characteristics I'd say let me guess your a Scorpio and I hit 4 guesses in a row over a period of several months. That's the kind of thing that really gets you to thinking, hey there might be something to this.

But the point is, I never asked others that were just being normal people. So how many Scorpios did I meet that I was not aware of because I didn't ask. So just for the hell of it I started asking most everyone and sure enough there are normal people who are Scorpios. Just goes to show you that you often find what you are looking for.

16. birch Valued Senior Member

your description seems to match a member here who kept identifying herself as a scorpio.

anyways, being small or petite has nothing to do with how someone is.

uh, there are people who are large and not petite who will ruin your life too. there are also scorpios who are large and tall and anything in between.

17. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I'm sure I don't know who you are talking about, but the woman I know wouldn't waste her time on any forum.

How right you are, but that small cute innocent act is really attractive to us marks.

Yes I know and I'm very sure all the signs have there fair share of narcissists and sociopaths. They just don't seem to be as outspoken as Scorpios. I think Scorpios believe their own hype and tend to act out as if it were true. I don't know if I can back that statement up, but I do know I've never met a shy Scorpio and I have seen some statistics that show about 30% of the public believe strongly in astrology and about 60% follow the horoscopes.

18. Tania Registered Member

Yes, my boyfriend is a Scorpio and has narcissistic tendencies, something which we are working on and if it doesn't change, I'll be moving on. But he also has such a good soul that I've seen in few people. He doesn't fit the above extreme end of the spectrum though. One of my exes was a Scorpio and a pure narcissist and fits the description above to a T it's uncanny lol. Couldn't have put it better. And I do not hold any malace toward this person, they just are who they are. We tried staying friends but their behaviour ruined any chance of that. I would say some Leos fit the more egotistical and fiery version of a narcissist rather than the emotional and dark version above. Though there are plenty of soft Leos who are anything but narcissists. They have had Pisces risings or moons though. And a Leo narcissist I knew who fits the above description had a Leo rising and a Scorpio moon. She was a crazy bitch! My god the stories I could tell. She was trying to be a famous singer (most singers are Leos btw- love that limelight!) And would only be decent toward anyone who could further her career, yes, and once a person was no longer useful she would discard them. Otherwise, she would treat people like enemies. She was a flatmate of mine.

You look at any chart with narcissistic tendencies and most will have Pluto (Scorpio) aspects that cause this. Such as the case of my father and various work colleagues I've done charts for.

I'm a cancer, and on a different topic- hey, we'll start a new sub-thread! Lol neuroticism! My sister and I are cancers, and she is neurotic to the extreme, but my chart is mostly sag- sag rising, moon, mercury etc. So less neurotic but usually brought on by caffeine. Otherwise I'm pretty good, but I can't seem to give up coffee so yes, neurotic for sure lol

KilljoyKlown likes this.
  19. Tania Registered Member

I find Liz Greene's descriptions to be more balanced. There are plenty of Scorpios who fit more of the positive and less of the negative aspects. But I'm going to suspect that most of the ones getting angry about this post are Scorpios, and the less evolved or younger ones... even though, they may lie and say otherwise- yes Scorpios are liars... my partner lies, its a problem. White lies though, nothing hurtful, at least in his eyes lol. I've met a few older Scorpio women- 40+ who have admitted to being like the above description when they were younger, but although they still have those tendencies, they are aware of them and can laugh at themselves now. One was a lady I worked with. And yes, defensiveness is a massive thing for poor Scorpios. And my sister lol

KilljoyKlown likes this.
  20. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

It's been awhile sense I've posted in this forum, but I enjoyed the hell out of starting this topic. Sounds like we could have quite an interesting conversation on this subject. This software has been upgraded sense I last posted here and I'm very glad to see they added the LIKE button. I guess my avatar didn't survive the upgrade. Will have to look into that.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I like the new avatar.

KilljoyKlown likes this.
  22. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Do you need some help finding a new avatar yourself? For some reason I haven't located a copy of my previous avatar.

23. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I had 13 likes for a while. You saved me! Ah Just kidding, not stuporstitious. You don't like my avatar???