Atheism versus Science

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by mynameisDan, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Balerion Banned Banned

Can you not read? Everyone here has given you specific examples. Some have even shown you pictures. The bottom line here is that you refuse to believe any of it because of your blind faith in the Bible. That isn't evolution's shortcoming--it's yours. Believe whatever you like, Dan, but enough with the pretending that no one here has explained themselves. All you're doing is pretending we didn't say what we've said.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Dan,

"On another, separate thread, I will go into the fossil record further upon returning from vacation. Later..."

Can't wait, I love comedy.

You never answered my previous question with logic and facts of any kind. Just leaps of faith. Not good enough.

Jdawg said,

"All you're doing is pretending we didn't say what we've said."

Precisely.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Your view that the Christian god exists is simply an opinion which rejects a large amount of data to the contrary, and can be dismissed as the raving of a loony.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

Can we ban mynameisDan? Seriously? He's a troll if I've ever seen one.

8. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

9. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Banning people is the only way you know how to debate.

10. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

Lets add logic to the long list of things in which you haven't a clue.

11. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

LOL. I realize you're only 23 and so it's not fair for me to pick on your ignorance and inexperience, but do you know what a logical syllogism or a major premise is?

12. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I could say the same about you being much younger than I am but age has little to do with it.
    At age 12 without knowing those terms, I was much more logical than you are now.

13. Balerion Banned Banned

The best answer is to do what I did, and put Dan on your ignore list. Unlike the tragedy that has all befallen us where we cannot ignore SAM due to her moderator status, we can, thankfully, ignore Dan.

Join the club.

14. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Most of my arguments are taken directly from Aristotle who basically invented logic. If you have a problem with Aristotle's arguments then you have a problem with logic itself.

15. Balerion Banned Banned

Aristotle did not invent logic.

And, you know, there were people that came after him that had some interesting things to say...you might want to look into it.

16. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

No 1 invented logic.
    Like most men now considered wise, Aristotle came up with some wise things, some good insights & intelligent "new" thoughts along with stupid foolish silly ideas some of which he could have checked on but didn't.

17. Balerion Banned Banned

See, Stranger, like so many theists, Oil is unable to decide what is valuable and what isn't when reading something. He takes the text at face value, and does not question any of it.

18. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

OOPS! I meant to put this here but accidently put it in another thread 1st.

Near the end of Metaphysics, Book Λ, Aristotle introduces a surprising question, asking "whether we have to suppose one such [mover] or more than one, and if the latter, how many."[1] Aristotle concludes that the number of all the movers equals the number of separate movements, and we can determine these by considering the mathematical science most akin to philosophy, i.e., astronomy. Although the mathematicians differ on the number of movements, Aristotle considers that the number of spheres would be 47 or 55.

Aristotle's argument for the existence of the unmoved mover progresses as follows:

There exists movement in the world.
    Things that move were set into motion by something else.
    If everything that moves was caused to move by something else, there would be an infinite chain of causes. This can't happen.
    Thus, there must have been something that caused the first movement.
    From 3, this first cause cannot itself have been moved.
    From 4, there must be an unmoved mover.

Stranger ============= 2 is a reasonable provisional assumption based on observation.
    3 is an unproven arrogant assumption.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2008
  19. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

He did say that it might be possible that there be more than one mover in the Physics but not in the Metaphysics.

20. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

You mean like how I don't question plate tectonics, constant size earth, and biogenic fossil fuel?

21. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

Your calling me ignorant? Now that's a joke. I may only be 23 but I am more knowledgeable than you. As for experience you seem to lack that as well. Now do your attempts at logic don't show any real understanding of it.

22. Balerion Banned Banned

No, I mean how you don't question Creationism.