Atheist Contributions to the World

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Prince_James, Oct 27, 2006.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Sorry won't wash.

There were several men who were similar to Bhagat Singh. In fact he was hanged with two other men who were involved with him both in the bombings and in the murder. He was however the only one who left written reports on his ideologies.

There was only one Gandhi. Anyone who believes that Bhagat Singh could have done much without Gandhi is fooling themselves. No one can dispute however that Gandhi would have done as well with or without Bhagat Singh.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

so you deny B Singh made a significant contribution to India's independance then?

A straight yes or no would suffice

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Meanwhile we are back at the beginning Sam, this is not about methods or Ghandi or who did the same as B Singh. It is a simple question. Who and what have atheists contributed to our culture etc.

I found and named two, that is all there is to it. If you wish to deny they made a contribution that is different.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Okay, in that case I wish to contribute a name.

Gautama Buddha.

And another:

Brihaspati, arguably the founder of atheism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lokayata

Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

8. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

a voice of reason for one,
    all atheism does is it offers you REALITY,nothing more.

from www.thewaronfaith.com

"When I became convinced that the Universe is natural that all the ghosts and gods are myths, there entered into my brain, into my soul, into every drop of my blood, the sense, the feeling, the joy of freedom. The walls of my prison crumbled and fell, the dungeon was flooded with light and all the bolts, and bars, and manacles became dust. I was no longer a servant, a serf, or a slave. There was for me no master in all the wide world, not even in infinite space. I was free.

free to think, to express my thoughts
    free to live to my own ideal
    free to live for myself and those I loved
    free to use all my faculties, all my senses
    free to spread imagination's wings
    free to investigate, to guess and dream and hope
    free to judge and determine for myself
    free to reject all ignorant and cruel creeds, all the "inspired" books that savages have produced, and all the barbarous legends of the past
    free from popes and priests
    free from all the "called" and "set apart"
    free from sanctified mistakes and holy lies
    free from the fear of eternal pain
    free from the winged monsters of night
    free from devils, ghosts, and gods
    For the first time I was free. There were no prohibited places in all the realms of my thought, no air, no space, where fancy could not spread her painted wings
    no chains for my limbs
    no lashes for my back
    no fires for my flesh
    no master's frown or threat
    no following another's steps
    no need to bow, or cringe, or crawl, or utter lying words.

I was free. I stood erect and fearlessly, joyously, faced all worlds. And then my heart was filled with gratitude, with thankfulness, and went out in love to all the heroes, the thinkers who gave their lives for the liberty of hand and brain for the freedom of labor and thought

to those who fell on the fierce fields of war
    to those who died in dungeons bound with chains
    to those who proudly mounted scaffold's stairs
    to those whose bones were crushed, whose flesh was scarred and torn
    to those by fire consumed
    to all the wise, the good, the brave of every land, whose thoughts and deeds have given freedom to the sons of men.
    And I vowed to grasp the torch that they had held, and hold it high, that light might conquer darkness still."

..........Robert G. Ingersoll (1833-1899), "Why Am I An Agnostic?", 1896

9. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Scorpius:

I am asking for contributions of Atheist people, not of Atheism to specific people. Basically, what have Atheist people done for the world?

10. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Fraggle Rocker has made a contribution to this forum.

11. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

I'd argue that prince Siddartha Gautama was not an Atheist, but ambivalent to theism. The Buddha never discreditted the existence of the deities, just made them irrelevant. IN fact, orthodox Buddhist doctrine is that there exists a possibility of becoming a Demon, a HUngry Ghost, an Animal, a Human, a Demi-God, and a God.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Did he preach that though? I believe his own teachings were atheistic in nature.

13. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

I have helped develop a new type of ventilator for premature infants with underdeveloped lungs. Probably my best work.

14. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

15. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Perhaps I can appreciate this as a poetic expression of newfound delight, but as a logical treatise on the nature of freedom that is supposed to inspire renounciation of theisitic values, it is a pipe dream.

Obviously not Burma, China or other similar countries
    Obviosuly they don't watch MTV then
    Obviously not a woman in a third world country who balances a sledgehammer on her head so she can carry her baby in her arms on her way to work
    Until the result of such inappropriate living results in premature dementure
    like imagining one is free?
    as long as one doesn't investigate theism right?
    until one has to make a court appearance or the boss tells one to fetch a coffee
    they shouldn't worry - there is a plethora of contemporary cruel deeds and barbarians to absorb one's interest - pick up the newspaper and you can read about it every day
    now all one has to deal with are the unlimited desires of the body in a limited world
    unless they ran away to the wasteleands of Alaska, Siberia or central Australia there is a good chance they are still ensnared by social norms of culture or sub culture
    So now there are just run of the mill mistakes and lies to bewilder one
    whats the difference between constant anxiety and eternal pain?
    Did they give up satan worship?
    Did their religion innvolve close ties with a permissive pharmacist?
    try telling that to the narcotic squad after they have kicked down the back door.

16. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

really?

This is magnificent well done

17. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Muchas gracias, seniorita.

18. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

I applaude and bow to your most greatness.

19. euphrosene Delusions of Divinity? Registered Senior Member

Fascinating multiple discussion, although I would love to find out more on Prince James' original point/

A few comments:

Buddhism believes in transmigration of the soul - surely one aspect of divinity? Meaning the ability to self-create. Surely the issue with theism/atheism continues to be one of definition?

Re original Indians, my mother (a Tamil) believes they were the Dravidians.

Hawking: some 'god', if his soon-to-be ex-wife did indeed regularly abuse him.

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Not so, Buddhism doesn't acknowledge the existence of a soul.

21. euphrosene Delusions of Divinity? Registered Senior Member

Nomenclature surely? They do believe in rebirth and they do believe they could come back as a rock or a horse.

I should add that I think of the 'soul' as the receiving/transmitting intelligence within every particle that makes us what we are whether a human, horse or rock.

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Not really, since they don't believe there is any "they". There is rebirth, but nothing that gets reborn.

23. euphrosene Delusions of Divinity? Registered Senior Member

Not sure I totally understand the semantics of that.... and I am not a Buddhist scholar, so I'll check out further and reply later.

PS Isn't the Dalai Lama a 'reborn' Buddhist?