Atheist Fundamentalism and the Limits of Science

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by lightgigantic, Dec 3, 2007.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's never been achieved.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Myles Registered Senior Member

I can't help wondering whether they are the same two who invited me to a god-mocking cermony

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xev Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

8. Myles Registered Senior Member

So it's just like getting to know god ?

9. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

You'd know if it was them - they preached from The Origin of Species, handed out free copies of the god delusion and argued that evolution should be taught in churches.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Myles Registered Senior Member

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Whose ontological rebuttal? Not an atheist who knows empiricism and considers himself beyond belief?

The Greeks had no issues.

12. Myles Registered Senior Member

Not the same then. Mine were quoting from The Descent of Man. No mention of women

13. Myles Registered Senior Member

Have you read The Trial and Death of Socrates ?

14. Xev Registered Senior Member

According to Trent Reznor, that can be achieved through really good sex.

15. Roman Banned Banned

I thought that was a pun on dyslexics and doing it doggy style.

16. Myles Registered Senior Member

Have you nothing better to do than watch dogs having Tantric sex ?

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

With the definition of atheism I mean.

I have too many other issues with the Greeks myself.

18. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

"Denial of belief." I've heard this term used before in a similar discussion, but I still have no idea what it means. Are you suggesting that I hold a latent belief in god(s) that I'm actively denying?

Also, where have I denied my "no belief" in gods? I assure you that I'm an atheist because of that very lack of belief.

Lastly, the definitions that I use when it comes to this argument all come from dictionary.com which collects definitions from many reputable dictionaries. If you think that the definitions being used are creative and not accurate, I suggest you bring it up with Webster & co. For the sake of the discussion, I'll present the two specific definitions that I use with links, plus bolded emphasis on the key points that make up my argument:

a·the·ist –noun
    a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.

dis·be·lief –noun
    1. the inability or refusal to believe or to accept something as true.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Then we agree with each other, since I consider "denial of belief" to be a logically untenable position.

20. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

But... but which atheist is even bringing up a denial of belief? The only time I've seen such an idea being used was by Photizo who thinks that I believe in god but am somehow making myself not believe (don't ask me how that works).

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Stick around, there are some very creative types here.

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Belief isn't fundamentalist if it's tentative.

23. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

I personally think the issue comes down to specifics. You see where an atheist sees the word "god" or "gods" the theist sees "specific god".

I would say that when it comes to yahweh, god of the jews, I am a 'strong atheist'. I consider the OT little more than the ramblings of old jews based upon the ramblings of old sumerians. I am also 'strong atheist' to the hippy jew god of the christians. Further to that I am also strong atheist to apollo and abellio, marduk and tiamat, (as I'm sure these very same theists are). However, I acknowledge that there might be some entity out there that created the cosmos.. The difference is merely specifics.

As S. Roberts said: "I contend that we are all atheists, I just believe in one less god than you do...."

And it is true. Sam and lg are both 'strong atheists' with concerns to Thor and Ra. They would laugh in your face before even accepting the possibility that these gods exist. You therefore are better than they, you accept the possibility that gods exist, you simply lack belief in them until a time when it is pertinent to do so. These theists that argue atheism are mere hypocrites, because they too are atheists.