Atheist Fundamentalism and the Limits of Science

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by lightgigantic, Dec 3, 2007.

1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Why do you call yourself a Muslim, then?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Umm because I believe in one God and in Mohammed?

That is the only requirement.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I thought you also had to pray a certain number of times per day, make a pilgrimage to Mecca, fast during Ramadan, etc. etc.

Oh, and by the way, Thor never required any of those things. Nor did the Christian God.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

So you don't believe in "allah", a god that fits a preset mould?

There is the problem. An atheist does not create gods, (would you believe it?). It is the theist that creates gods and demands the atheist believe in them. From yhwh to jesus to allah to abellio to apollo to marduk... While, as stated, we some of us will be strong atheist to many of those theist designed and determined gods, we do not generally ultimately say it is impossible that there exists no such being that created the cosmos, thus weak atheism. I find the idea quite unecessary, but I accept the possibility. The theist however has absolute strong atheism for every version of a god except for the preset moulded version he has bought into.

Don't blame the atheist, we just shrug at your moulds.

Now can you answer my question?? Do you believe the spaghetti monster exists? Well?

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

That would make me a practising Muslim, yes.

No doubt those people did/do other things which in some way equal prayer, charity and recognition of their faith. Not all Muslims pray the same way, fast for same number of days or even on the same days, or even have the same rules of madhab. And its still okay, though some people did grumble when the Saudis insisted Eid was a day earlier this year.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Tell me again about <insert your representation of a god>

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

If you want to learn about real atheism, the kind that does not feel challenged by theists, look up atheism in India.

Now those guys, they had real arguments. Who knows, you may even learn something.

10. Myles Registered Senior Member

If I believed in god I would say his most prominent attribute would be his ( distorted ) sense of humour. He creates this mess and then laughs himself sick at all his creatures arguing about who knows him best.

Since they must not have too much fun he sends a few plagues, famines. earthquakes and so on to skow them who's boss. A bit like pulling the wings off celestial flies

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its always interesting to me that even atheists have notions of how God should behave.

12. lightgigantic Banned Banned

but how does this carry through to other concepts like justice
    Does justice exist or is it a non-entity?
    and how about the mechanism that is formulating all these concepts, the mind
    Does the mind exist or is it a non-entity?

13. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Oh, my representation of a god. I see... it's my fault, nothing whatsoever to do with the billions of theists that have created gods and expect us to believe in them?

To be honest with you, I rarely trust something that deserves a "trademark" on the end, especially in this instance where "real atheism" is being espoused to me by a "real theist".

You know, I've been through this game on and off for the best part of two decades and I love it. If nothing else it's plain funny. However, there is one trend I have noticed and that is when someone can't answer a question they attempt insult to the person that asked that question. They attempt to belittle and thus get the reader to actually forget what questions were even asked.

However, I will accept your argument. My arguments suck arse. There is so much I could learn from you real muslim atheists, (bwahahahaha). In saying I don't see the problem with answering my suck arse question.

Do you believe in the spaghetti monster?

Yes or no Sam, don't be a pussy.

14. Myles Registered Senior Member

Buddhists don't feel threatened by theists because the Buddha taught self- reliance. There may have been a few gods of the Indian pantheon hovering in the background but he paid them scant regard

15. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

You included charity as a religous tenant. Many non-theists are charitable. I certainly wouldn't want to be given the impression that charity is tied to a carrot? It is ONLY for helping humanity right? No rewards in heaven right? It doesn't affect the God-head right?

So you agree that the God-head is not affected by the Prayer? It's simply Muslim Catharsis?

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

When you say God is affected, what do you mean? When you say heaven, what do you mean?

And like I said, every one is born with a natural inclination to do the right thing, one does not have to be a practising theist to follow Gods way.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Buddhists in India are not atheists, I was talking about the Carvakas.

http://shunya.typepad.com/shunyas_blog/2006/12/th_carvakas.html

18. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Snakelord
    the issue is more about what a person agrees to be shown
    yes
    like claims that fall within the discipline of rationalism and theism
    really?
    suppose you are walking towards a house - your sense of sight is telling you that the house is getting bigger with each step you take towards it - do you seriously think that the house is growing?
    thats the point you haven't really addressed
    why would an empiricist advocate that nothing exists outside of empiricism?

If a religious person advocates that nothing exists outside of scripture, it is termed fundamentalism.
    If an empiricist advocates that nothing exists outside empiricism that is also fundamentalism.
    I'm not sure but I think this is an argument to the effect "the words empiricism and reality are synonymous"
    let's unpack it

1st premise - we are all ultimately the same
    ( as far as I know, there is no empirical test that can measure anything that we all give a uniform result in, so what are you talking about here exactly, if not some phenomena that stands outside of empiricism?)

2nd premise - belief is ultimately confirmed by direct perception
    (can you point out a "justice" or a "mind" for me?)

3rd premise - If someone is referring to something that cannot be indicated to a second person, it is an issue of belief
    (guess that means we have to throw out over 90% of what we have in the way of science, philosophy and art and simply stick to animal propensities that we can all agree on, like sleeping, eating, mating and defending)

needless to say, your conclusion is out to lunch .....

19. Myles Registered Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  20. lightgigantic Banned Banned

so how do you propose to determine probabilities without knowing the complete variables

for instance suppose I had a 6 sided die and 3 sides had 1,2 and 3 and the other sides were masked - if you couldn't peel back the tape, how would you determine the probability of what lies underneath (it may have the "12" or a smiley face)?

21. Myles Registered Senior Member

22. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

how is atheism faith??

23. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

influenced